Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default Automotive relay question

I have a 12V SPST cube relay in my junque box. The diagram molded into the
relayıs housing includes a component connected in parallel with the coil
which looks suspiciously like a resistor.

Itıs not a back-emf diode: I connected the relay coil using both polarities
(using a current-limited power supply) and the same current draw is measured.

What is the purpose of this resistor?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Maynard A. Philbrook Jr." wrote:

In article ,
says...

I have a 12V SPST cube relay in my junque box. The diagram molded into the
relay1s housing includes a component connected in parallel with the coil
which looks suspiciously like a resistor.

It1s not a back-emf diode: I connected the relay coil using both polarities
(using a current-limited power supply) and the same current draw is
measured.

What is the purpose of this resistor?

Thanks,
Dave

more than likely a snubber network, they normally have a
resistor and cap in a single component..

Many times, they simply show it as a R across the coil because
it's in series with a cap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snubber

I haven't ever seen a snubber in a relay. It usually has the iron
designed to short-circuit fast field changes.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Followups set to sci.electronics.components .

In sci.electronics.components DaveC wrote:
I have a 12V SPST cube relay in my junque box. The diagram molded into
the relay's housing includes a component connected in parallel with
the coil which looks suspiciously like a resistor. [...]

What is the purpose of this resistor?

It suppresses the inductive spike when the relay turns off. See page
3 of the Tyco application note
http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentD...=CS&DocLang=EN
or
http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=Automotive_Rel ay_Applications&DocType=CS&DocLang=EN
or even
http://is.gd/uGsYcA

I knew you could get automotive relays with nothing, a diode, or a
resistor across the coil, but I'd never heard before that any of these
shorten the life of the relay. I wonder what the mechanism is... does
it damage the coil winding insulation, or does it try to move the
armature a little, or what?

Matt Roberds

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
says...

more than likely a snubber network, they normally have a
resistor and cap in a single component..

Many times, they simply show it as a R across the coil because
it's in series with a cap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snubber

I haven't ever seen a snubber in a relay. It usually has the iron
designed to short-circuit fast field changes.

--

We buy 24VDC relays with snubber networks in side on the coil, it
removes the need to put one on the terminals. It comes in handy when

Those with diodes in them are ok for driver component protection but
they still can generate a noise pulse, just not a damaging one.

When you have bundles of wires tightly packed together, in
race ways and wire harnesses, like in cars, it can cross talk very well.

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/17/2014 8:57 AM, DaveC wrote:
I have a 12V SPST cube relay in my junque box. The diagram molded into the
relayıs housing includes a component connected in parallel with the coil
which looks suspiciously like a resistor.

Itıs not a back-emf diode: I connected the relay coil using both polarities
(using a current-limited power supply) and the same current draw is measured.

What is the purpose of this resistor?

Thanks,
Dave

It's usually a suppression resistor. Bosch used them a lot.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

It's usually a suppression resistor. Bosch used them a lot.

So the resistor dissipates the coil energy as the magnetic field collapses?
You still get back-emf; more than with a diode but less than without
anything?

This one is a Bosch.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

"DaveC" wrote in message
I have a 12V SPST cube relay in my junque box. The diagram molded into the
relayıs housing includes a component connected in parallel with the coil
which looks suspiciously like a resistor.

Itıs not a back-emf diode: I connected the relay coil using both
polarities
(using a current-limited power supply) and the same current draw is
measured.

What is the purpose of this resistor?

There are such things as bidirectional transient suppressor diodes.

Although I've never seen it on a car relay - a resistor isn't impossible, it
could act as a "Q-spoiler" to damp inductive ringing.

Or a bit more likely - a VDR.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/24/2014 2:02 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"DaveC" wrote in message
I have a 12V SPST cube relay in my junque box. The diagram molded into
the
relayıs housing includes a component connected in parallel with the coil
which looks suspiciously like a resistor.

Itıs not a back-emf diode: I connected the relay coil using both
polarities
(using a current-limited power supply) and the same current draw is
measured.

What is the purpose of this resistor?

There are such things as bidirectional transient suppressor diodes.

Although I've never seen it on a car relay - a resistor isn't
impossible, it could act as a "Q-spoiler" to damp inductive ringing.

Or a bit more likely - a VDR.

Think of it as an RC snubber without the C. The capacitance will be
whatever the coil and wiring supply.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Think of it as an RC snubber without the C. The capacitance will be
whatever the coil and wiring supply.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Don't you think that's starting to get a bit complicated Phil ? I would have
thought that the amount of C in the coil and associated wiring was
comparatively small - even given a car wiring loom. I reckon that its just a
simple damping load across the L to encourage it not to 'ring' so fiercely
as the field collapses ??

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On 10/25/2014 08:54 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:

Think of it as an RC snubber without the C. The capacitance will be
whatever the coil and wiring supply.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Don't you think that's starting to get a bit complicated Phil ? I would
have thought that the amount of C in the coil and associated wiring was
comparatively small - even given a car wiring loom. I reckon that its
just a simple damping load across the L to encourage it not to 'ring' so
fiercely as the field collapses ??

Arfa

The reason you care about the ringing is primarily insulation
degradation due to the peak voltage. If the parallel resistor is six
times the coil resistance, the peak voltage kick will be close to six
times the drive voltage of the relay (because the coil current wants to
be constant).

That's how RC snubbers work, except that since they don't represent a DC
load, you can use lower value resistors (with a tradeoff in switching
speed, of course). The speed of the ringing is set mostly by the
capacitance of the winding, unless the snubber resistor is very small.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs