Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Automotive question

Dick, the closest I can come, was my blue 1989 Chevrolet
Blazer. Back then, it had a mechanical linkage. At the
transmission end, the rod went through a loop and was
tightened by a bolt.

The brain dead idiots who replaced my tx adjusted this
wrong. I could not dependably get it to engage park.
Sometimes I'd put it "in park" and take my foot off the
brake, and the truck would start to roll down a hill.

I took it back, and they gave me lies instead of action. I
finally ran the truck up on ramps. Found where the rod came
from the gear shift lever. Loosen the bolt, and slid the
linkage from the tx about 1/2 inch, tighten the bolt again.
Then, it worked. I am not a transmission mechanic, and
aparently the people at the shop were not, either.

In your case, it sounds like your "neutral safety switch"
has gone bad, or the wire is unconnected. Some internet
research will probably help you to find the switch. Replace
it, or push the wire back onto the switch.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dick Keats" wrote in message

I always look forward to reading what you guys have to say
about the various
items this group covers. I also find the OT threads
interesting.
You're a smart bunch of guys. And I didn't know where else
to go.

That said, I'd like to know if any of you know of an auto
repair
newsgroup(s). I've searched, but to no avail.

I have a 2000 Saturn station wagon, 6 cylinder, which I
bought new. It has
126K miles on it. Recently I had the gearshift cable
replaced because it
was slipping and it frequently wouldn't lock in PARK so I
couldn't start the
car. All was good for a couple weeks but, alas, now it
won't start even
though now it does lock in park. Battery is good, lights
are bright, fan
blows and radio plays. But nada/zip when I turn the key
when in park (or
any other gear). When accessories are off I don't hear
anything when I turn
the key.

The shop wants me to have it towed in so they can perform
various tests
This is expensive because I'm rural and it's a long trip.
Plus their pound
of flesh, of course. BTW, I'm retired and carefully
watching my
expenditures.

I'd like to do a few tests myself but I don't know where to
start. Which is
why I have chosen to come to this august body for help.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dick in Ferris, TX