Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Richard

Default amplifier not working

Hi,

I have an old Fisher CA-56 amplifier. It would appear I have lost volume
control on both speakers and the earphone jack. One of the spaekers went out
some time ago. Lately, the other one too went out. When I was pushing or
twisting the volume control slide, I was sometimes able to get the speakers
working. I opend the slide volume control, and cleaned it. Now nothing
works.

Any idea of what's wrong?

Regards

Richard

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Travis Jordan

Richard wrote:
Any idea of what's wrong?

Most likely a bad volume potentiometer. No doubt the slide type
controls are hard to get as replacement parts.

Two channel receivers are so cheap nowadays it might be cheaper to just
replace your old amp with a new receiver - total cost $125 or less.

Good luck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Richard ha escrito:

Hi,

I have an old Fisher CA-56 amplifier. It would appear I have lost volume
control on both speakers and the earphone jack. One of the spaekers went out
some time ago. Lately, the other one too went out. When I was pushing or
twisting the volume control slide, I was sometimes able to get the speakers
working. I opend the slide volume control, and cleaned it. Now nothing
works.

Any idea of what's wrong?

test by bypassing the pot or slider, if you get full volume you'll know
the output stage is ok! (maybe best to use a resistor or bridge with a
pot of the same impedence as the suspect to save your speakers from a
loud blast.)

-b.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

b wrote:
(maybe best to use a resistor or bridge with a
pot of the same impedence as the suspect to save your speakers from a
loud blast.)

And ears! ;-)

-----
No.
Am I a top-poster?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Travis Jordan wrote:
No doubt the slide type controls are hard to get as replacement parts.

Yep. But maybe it is possible to replace it with rotary one, by a
little modding...

-----
No.
Do I reply for top-posters?