Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Wrapping outdoor faucets (hose bibs)

wrote:
I know it seems to help by wrapping the faucets, but I'm not sure
why. Any ideas?

I think the operative statement here is the last sentence. It seems
to help and it
does to a certain extent. It will shield and protect it and there is
always going to
be heat transfer from the pipe inside to out, throught the wall,
etc. How effective
it will be, to what extreme you can take it, for how long, is another
story.

Which is why I like frost proof sill cocks. Solves the problem once
and for all,
provided you remember to disconnect hoses or at least make sure they
are
drained of water.

I finally installed one a couple years ago. I am waiting for the repair parts
now to fix it. It didn't survive its second Seattle winter. I hate to think
about how well they do in the midwest.