Old February 1st 11, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wrapping outdoor faucets (hose bibs)

Getting mighty cold in central Texas. Last couple days was 80+ degrees.
Got down to 40 at midnight last night and by 9:00 this morning, it was 32.
Going to be 17 degrees tonight, and 15 tomorrow night. In fact, we may not
get above freezing until Saturday sometime. It was a short summer.

Anyway, I went out and dutifully wrapped all our outdoor faucets; first with
a bath towel, then with two inch thick foam rubber, and taped it all tight
around the faucets.

But, I wonder why this keeps them from freezing. Obviously, there is no
heat generated by wrapping them, and there is very little residual warmth in
the faucet / pipe stub. A little residual warmth from the brick siding, but
that is all. It seems to me that the bitter cold would soak through the
towel and foam rubber in a few hours. Then, what good does it do to wrap
them?

I know it seems to help by wrapping the faucets, but I'm not sure why. Any
ideas?

Bob-tx

Old February 1st 11, 09:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 3:37*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
[...]

Heat is transfering from the inside out. Warm always moves towards
cold.
Old February 1st 11, 11:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 2:37*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
[...]

Assuming that it is warmer indoors than out, heat is conducted through
the pipe and the water toward the outside.
Old February 1st 11, 11:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Every other week I hear somebody tryin to wet me
But I be out of town, gettin water where the hose lay
I'm gangzta with the hose bib
So don't be messin with my nozzle

....Oh sorry, you didn't mean that type of rapping, did you?
Old February 2nd 11, 12:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Feb 1, 3:07*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

==
Probably do as much good as wrapping it with a rag...although that
will help retain some heat.
==

Old February 2nd 11, 04:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 6:26*pm, Roy wrote:
[...]

I think the operative statement here is the last sentence. It seems
to help and it
does to a certain extent. It will shield and protect it and there is
always going to
be heat transfer from the pipe inside to out, throught the wall,
etc. How effective
it will be, to what extreme you can take it, for how long, is another
story.

Which is why I like frost proof sill cocks. Solves the problem once
and for all,
provided you remember to disconnect hoses or at least make sure they
are
drained of water.
Old February 2nd 11, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2011 3:37 PM, Bob-tx wrote:
[...]

As somebody already pointed out, heat flows from high to low. Wrapping
your faucet insulates it so that the heat isn't so readily lost to the
outside. It's enough to keep it from freezing in most cases.

Jay
Old February 3rd 11, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/1/2011 2:45 PM, jamesgangnc wrote:
[...]

Is that why I should keep the refrigerator shut when I fart? :-)

TDD
Old February 6th 11, 08:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Bob F" wrote
Which is why I like frost proof sill cocks.

I finally installed one a couple years ago. I am waiting for the repair
parts now to fix it. It didn't survive its second Seattle winter. I hate
to think about how well they do in the midwest.

Something is wrong. Mine are 30 years old and still work just fine.

Recommendations for fixing leaky outdoor t-handled faucets (some of which are embedded in the foundation)? James H. Home Repair 9 July 27th 10 04:31 AM
Fitting and outdoor tap for a hose Matthew.Ridges UK diy 12 July 4th 10 02:46 AM
Outdoor faucets and cold weather Kurt Ullman Home Repair 4 December 6th 08 10:27 PM
hose bibs Greg[_6_] Home Repair 9 October 1st 07 03:01 AM
Whine in Pipes when outside hose bibs winterized [email protected] Home Repair 6 November 14th 06 04:37 AM