Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default Wrapping outdoor faucets (hose bibs)

On Feb 1, 3:07*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 1, 3:37*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:

Getting mighty cold in central Texas. *Last couple days was 80+ degrees.
Got down to 40 at midnight last night and by 9:00 this morning, it was 32.
Going to be 17 degrees tonight, and 15 tomorrow night. *In fact, we may not
get above freezing until Saturday sometime. *It was a short summer.

Anyway, I went out and dutifully wrapped all our outdoor faucets; first with
a bath towel, then with two inch thick foam rubber, and taped it all tight
around the faucets.

But, I wonder why this keeps them from freezing. *Obviously, there is no
heat generated by wrapping them, and there is very little residual warmth in
the faucet / pipe stub. *A little residual warmth from the brick siding, but
that is all. *It seems to me that the bitter cold would soak through the
towel and foam rubber in a few hours. *Then, what good does it do to wrap
them?

I know it seems to help by wrapping the faucets, but I'm not sure why. *Any
ideas?

Bob-tx

Every other week I hear somebody tryin to wet me
But I be out of town, gettin water where the hose lay
I'm gangzta with the hose bib
So don't be messin with my nozzle

...Oh sorry, you didn't mean that type of rapping, did you?

==
Probably do as much good as wrapping it with a rag...although that
will help retain some heat.
==