Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wrapping outdoor faucets (hose bibs)

On Feb 1, 3:37*pm, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:
Getting mighty cold in central Texas. *Last couple days was 80+ degrees..
Got down to 40 at midnight last night and by 9:00 this morning, it was 32..
Going to be 17 degrees tonight, and 15 tomorrow night. *In fact, we may not
get above freezing until Saturday sometime. *It was a short summer.

Anyway, I went out and dutifully wrapped all our outdoor faucets; first with
a bath towel, then with two inch thick foam rubber, and taped it all tight
around the faucets.

But, I wonder why this keeps them from freezing. *Obviously, there is no
heat generated by wrapping them, and there is very little residual warmth in
the faucet / pipe stub. *A little residual warmth from the brick siding, but
that is all. *It seems to me that the bitter cold would soak through the
towel and foam rubber in a few hours. *Then, what good does it do to wrap
them?

I know it seems to help by wrapping the faucets, but I'm not sure why. *Any
ideas?

Bob-tx

Heat is transfering from the inside out. Warm always moves towards
cold.