Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH[_4_] SBH[_4_] is offline

Default Can galvanized fittings be used with black iron pipe?

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Was at Lowes tonight picking up stuff for hooking up my HW heater this
weekend and found out they did not have anymore 1/2" Tee's in black
iron for my gas line. But they had galvanized 1/2" Tee's.
Can I mix the 2?

Black pipe and galvanized pipe are the same material with just one
difference: galvanized pipe is coated with zinc to prevent the underlying
steel from corroding. Galvanized piping was commonly used in pipes that
carried drinking water--before the widespread use of copper piping and PEX
tubing. Black pipe was used in drain lines, heating piping and natural gas
piping. Black pipe can be used in lieu of galvanized pipe as long as the
piping system isn't for drinking water. Since both pipes are basically the
same material, they fit together with ease.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6816090_mix-...ized-pipe.html