Posted to uk.d-i-y
spamlet spamlet is offline

Default Linseed oil on a fence

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
I've just made a picket fence, with H3 treated timber (this is treated for
above ground use). I've trying to decide what to apply to it to provide
some additional protection, and also some cosmetic benefits. Our thinking
is not to paint (I know, best protection but more work and presumably
cost, also we prefer the natural wood look). A friend recommends boiled
linseed oil. From I've seen this would probably be the cheapest option,
but how good is it? I read an article that refers to these disadvantages:

*Sometimes linseed oil can take forever to dry... or stays sticky or
doesn't dry at all (not really a problem on a fence)
*No UV (ultraviolet) light resistance... UV causes more damage to exposed
wood than any other factor, destroying wood fibers and setting it up for
attack by mildew, fungus, and insects.
*Linseed oil is mildew food...Linseed oil is not completely denatured, so
it can encourage rather than discourage mildew growth.

Comments? Any other suggestions?

For a lot of things linseed oil = food. Not ideal for outdoors. The
'boiled' is supposed to set more quickly, but a walking stick I painted with
the Screwfix variety last year, has been in the airing cupboard ever since
and is still tacky...

Painted picket fence with expensive 'breathable' white coating one year;
mostly fallen off the next. Redid with ordinary outdoor gloss - fine but do
wear sunglasses while applying. Green algae and snail trails blast off with
modern pressure washer, but not on jet, or paint all gone and fence too.
(Slats stainless screwed on, cos kids round here like pulling them off, and
saves on rust in paint.)