Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Steve is offline

Default Removing a back boiler - what to do with the flue?

Hi. I'm removing an old Baxi back-boiler at the back of the living room
fireplace. It's a old propane powered one; I've just had a new mains gas
boiler installed in the kitchen. I've disconnected all power and pipes to
the old boiler of course.

There is a flue liner (corrugated metal tube) running up through the
chimney. The top of the chimney has a metal cap with side vents and
presumably the liner is attached to the inside.

My problem is what to do with the liner. When I remove the old boiler, the
bottom of the liner (which is fastened to a metal plate) will just be
hanging there. Do I need to support it while removing the boiler? Do I nee
to support it afterwards or can it safely be left hanging ?

FWIW I plan to board up the front of the fireplace and include some
ventilation.

Thanks