Old February 7th 10, 04:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing a back boiler - what to do with the flue?

Hi. I'm removing an old Baxi back-boiler at the back of the living room
fireplace. It's a old propane powered one; I've just had a new mains gas
boiler installed in the kitchen. I've disconnected all power and pipes to
the old boiler of course.

There is a flue liner (corrugated metal tube) running up through the
chimney. The top of the chimney has a metal cap with side vents and
presumably the liner is attached to the inside.

My problem is what to do with the liner. When I remove the old boiler, the
bottom of the liner (which is fastened to a metal plate) will just be
hanging there. Do I need to support it while removing the boiler? Do I nee
to support it afterwards or can it safely be left hanging ?

FWIW I plan to board up the front of the fireplace and include some
ventilation.

Thanks

Old February 7th 10, 04:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve
wibbled on Sunday 07 February 2010 15:03

Hi. I'm removing an old Baxi back-boiler at the back of the living room
fireplace. It's a old propane powered one; I've just had a new mains gas
boiler installed in the kitchen. I've disconnected all power and pipes to
the old boiler of course.

There is a flue liner (corrugated metal tube) running up through the
chimney. The top of the chimney has a metal cap with side vents and
presumably the liner is attached to the inside.

My problem is what to do with the liner. When I remove the old boiler,
the bottom of the liner (which is fastened to a metal plate) will just be
hanging there. Do I need to support it while removing the boiler? Do I
nee to support it afterwards or can it safely be left hanging ?

Leave it for the moment - it won't fall out, but see below:

I also removed an old Baxi back boiler - watch your back, the heat exchanger
is a solid *******.

FWIW I plan to board up the front of the fireplace and include some
ventilation.

Thanks

Liner - it won't do any harm to leave it in place and it is adequately
supported from the top, but you may find the wind plays tunes on it (ours
did, until the liner was replaced with a stove grade one).

In which case you'll probably want to take it out as it can get very
annoying, even though that will mean a trip o the roof...

Wait for a windy day to see if it's a problem or not...

--
Tim Watts

Old February 7th 10, 04:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 3:14 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

would bunging the bottom end be a stopgap against the whistling?

JimK
Old February 7th 10, 04:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

I left my old flue in place. It acts as a megga phone for pigeons on the
chimney. It will have to go this summer.

Adam

Old February 7th 10, 04:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK
wibbled on Sunday 07 February 2010 15:17

would bunging the bottom end be a stopgap against the whistling?

JimK

It might mess up the ventilation.

--
Tim Watts

Old February 7th 10, 04:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK used his keyboard to write :
[...]

Probably not - take a piece of tube and blow across the top. It makes
no difference whether the bottom end is blocked or not.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old February 7th 10, 08:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Feb, 15:03, "Steve" wrote:

Should be some insulation between the liner and the brick flue, it may
be loose and come down.
Flog the back boiler on E-Bay, lots of people are after them now as
additional heating.

Old February 7th 10, 09:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi. I'm removing an old Baxi back-boiler at the back of the living room

snipped

Thanks for replies chaps. Very helpful.