Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

Default Alcohol Drying of Wet Wood

Well George, thank God that you weren't the judge when some of the great
discoveries of our time were being discussed, not on a newsgroup of course. It
never ceases to amaze me how some people can be so critical of a process that
works very well. It has even worked well on madrone for my wife and I. She
definitely doesn't wear and ionized braclet or use the dish detergent except to
wash dishes. I don't care if you ever take advantage of the alcohol drying
process (and hope you don't enjoy the benefits of it), but I hate to see you
debunk it and maybe keep others from trying it to get good results with their
wood drying.

Fred Holder
http://wwww.fholder.com

In article , George says...

"Harry Pye" wrote in message
sgroups.com...
Fred,

After weighing today, I final turned it. The foot was still round so that
could use the chuck tenon originally used to turn the piece.

Your results are very similar to mine. I've done about thirty small bowls
with the alcohol soaking method with excellent results. Except for two ash
blanks that took over three weeks to reach equilibrium, all the others
dried in two weeks or less.

Most of these bowls have been out-of-round. Enough that I had to true the
tenon before completing them. Most of the bowls have been either English
Walnut or Cherry though there were a couple birch, maple and oak.

Some people over analyze the process. To me it just plain works!

Wonderful testimonials. Are you sure the results aren't due to the Q-Ray
"Ionized" bracelet you're wearing, or the dish detergent in the cabinet
under the sink?