Renata

Default Where has everyone gotten to?

Since my shop is all packed up, I've been doing more lurking than
posting of late.

Today, there's only 212 headers that download. This, in a group that
normally generates ~400.

Of that 212, seems a few are from trolls.

Where has the regular crowd gotten to? Everyone suddenly lose
interest in WW'g, or have y'all moved somewhere else (which may make
it difficult for you to answer my query)? Or?

Renata

Hey Renata,
I just got tried of all the filth and dirty language and I have been
more active on Wood Central. I still enjoy the rec and I like the
layout better.....just can not stand the nasty....
Mike

Gerald Ross

Renata wrote:
Since my shop is all packed up, I've been doing more lurking than
posting of late.

Today, there's only 212 headers that download. This, in a group that
normally generates ~400.

Of that 212, seems a few are from trolls.

Where has the regular crowd gotten to? Everyone suddenly lose
interest in WW'g, or have y'all moved somewhere else (which may make
it difficult for you to answer my query)? Or?

Renata

I'm still here but don't have much to contribute. My troll
filters block everyone but me, you and Robin Lee, so it is
getting lonesome. Glad to see you posting. Are you moving or
just building a larger shop?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Friends come and go. Enemies are forever.

Renata

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:00:28 -0500, Gerald Ross
wrote:

Renata wrote:
Since my shop is all packed up, I've been doing more lurking than
posting of late.

Today, there's only 212 headers that download. This, in a group that
normally generates ~400.

Of that 212, seems a few are from trolls.

Where has the regular crowd gotten to? Everyone suddenly lose
interest in WW'g, or have y'all moved somewhere else (which may make
it difficult for you to answer my query)? Or?

Renata

I'm still here but don't have much to contribute. My troll
filters block everyone but me, you and Robin Lee, so it is
getting lonesome. Glad to see you posting. Are you moving or
just building a larger shop?

Trying to move, but the house I was attempting to buy (and the one
that started it all) has been on hold due to an accident in their
family. Meanwhile, I look for others, miss out on a few (the market's
kinda hot), and try to keep packing the current joint. Packing is NO
fun at'tall!

Renata
mac davis

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:02:48 -0500, Renata wrote:

Since my shop is all packed up, I've been doing more lurking than
posting of late.

Today, there's only 212 headers that download. This, in a group that
normally generates ~400.

Of that 212, seems a few are from trolls.

Where has the regular crowd gotten to? Everyone suddenly lose
interest in WW'g, or have y'all moved somewhere else (which may make
it difficult for you to answer my query)? Or?

Renata

Spring break? *g*

We were in Baja Calif. for a week, but I'm back now, ready to pollute the wRECk
again..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:07:56 -0500, the inscrutable Renata
spake:

wrote:

Trying to move, but the house I was attempting to buy (and the one
that started it all) has been on hold due to an accident in their
family. Meanwhile, I look for others, miss out on a few (the market's
kinda hot), and try to keep packing the current joint. Packing is NO
fun at'tall!

Neither is waiting for a pair of mortgages to close, the old and the
new. I went through that hell 3 years ago after having been in the
last house for 26 years. Talk about finding hidden crevices in the
home you thought you knew as you open boxes of Gods-know-what which
hadn't been opened in 20+ years... I left 1,000 pounds of junk and
brought my finest 9,600 lbs of treasures with me.

Good luck with the move. It's hell, but about 3 months after you get
there, all is right with the world again, you have your energy back,
and you know precisely where everything from every box went.

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip
Good luck with the move. It's hell, but about 3 months after you get
there, all is right with the world again, you have your energy back,
and you know precisely where everything from every box went.

The standard answer in our family has always been "It's in a box in the
garage."

Where upon we usually either do without, or go and purchase another one.

Patriarch
patrick conroy

"Renata" wrote in message

Where has the regular crowd gotten to? Everyone suddenly lose
interest in WW'g, or have y'all moved somewhere else (which may make
it difficult for you to answer my query)? Or?

Personally, I'm running low on questions and certainly miss the "wit" that
pervaded the group a year or two ago. Maybe we're all beaten down by the
inevitable trolls, or more likely, it's just the natural ebb and flow of
usenet.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:21:21 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip
Good luck with the move. It's hell, but about 3 months after you get
there, all is right with the world again, you have your energy back,
and you know precisely where everything from every box went.

The standard answer in our family has always been "It's in a box in the
garage."

How can that be? You must have a separate shop, wot?

Where upon we usually either do without, or go and purchase another one.

My favorite tribute to Darwinist thought processes is the family who
spends $350/year on a storage unit for some of their least costly JUNK
items which probably haven't seen the light of day for 8+ years.

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip
Good luck with the move. It's hell, but about 3 months after you get
there, all is right with the world again, you have your energy back,
and you know precisely where everything from every box went.

The standard answer in our family has always been "It's in a box in the
garage."

How can that be? You must have a separate shop, wot?

I have storage above the 10'+ rafters in the garage/shop, and lotsa gorilla
racks against the walls. Some of that is for woodworking, some, not so
much so.

Where upon we usually either do without, or go and purchase another one.

My favorite tribute to Darwinist thought processes is the family who
spends $350/year on a storage unit for some of their least costly JUNK
items which probably haven't seen the light of day for 8+ years.

As a dedicated bachelor, you may not recognize that $350/year is a
reasonable price for some measure of domestic tranquility. Because what is
your junk is her childhood treasure, or that of her darling children. Some
stuff will go away when, and if, she's ready. And woe unto the spouse who
tosses the other's stuff, without consultation. You think it's cold where
WeeGee lives?

Patriarch
Charlie Self

Patriarch notes:
As a dedicated bachelor, you may not recognize that $350/year is a

reasonable price for some measure of domestic tranquility. Because
what is
your junk is her childhood treasure, or that of her darling children.
Some
stuff will go away when, and if, she's ready. And woe unto the spouse
who
tosses the other's stuff, without consultation. You think it's cold
where
WeeGee lives?

And dat's da troof. Over the years, I've incidentally and accidentally
tossed, or used as shop rags, a few items my wife was using for yard
sales. Nothing really precious--I do not even go in the closet where
many of those are stored, because the reaction to the above is not one
I want to re-experience very often.

B a r r y

Renata wrote:

Where has the regular crowd gotten to?

Remodeling & working, in my case. Usenet can turn into a real time hole
if I'm not careful. When I've got things to do, I don't check in much.

Barry
Renata

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:06:44 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:07:56 -0500, the inscrutable Renata
spake:

Trying to move, but the house I was attempting to buy (and the one
that started it all) has been on hold due to an accident in their
family. Meanwhile, I look for others, miss out on a few (the market's
kinda hot), and try to keep packing the current joint. Packing is NO
fun at'tall!

Neither is waiting for a pair of mortgages to close, the old and the
new. I went through that hell 3 years ago after having been in the
last house for 26 years. Talk about finding hidden crevices in the
home you thought you knew as you open boxes of Gods-know-what which
hadn't been opened in 20+ years... I left 1,000 pounds of junk and
brought my finest 9,600 lbs of treasures with me.

9600# !?!? Wow! Don't know (yet) how much mine weighs, but I sure
have managed to fill up 1000 sq ft of house plus another 1000 in the
basement. One friend suggests throwing half the stuff out. Horrors!
I am trying to be judicious about what I take but often I get caught
up in just trying to get the packing done that I just start throwing
things in boxes. Maybe 1/4 but more likely an 1/8 will not move with
me (not including shop which is near 100% keep).

The shop was bloody difficult - stuff's heavy and you have to use
smaller boxes, but often stuff is long or something that contradicts
the 2 unless you get a specially shaped box. Bessey/Jorgy clamps -
50+"; lamp box - 48". Plus, if I fill the box, it probably weighs too
much.

Argh!

Good luck with the move. It's hell, but about 3 months after you get
there, all is right with the world again, you have your energy back,
and you know precisely where everything from every box went.

Thanx! I was just debating if I should hold off on the moving and
concentrate on my other priorities. But then, the thought of a
"nicer" (in many ways) place got me going again.

Renata

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:06:15 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch
spake:

As a dedicated bachelor, you may not recognize that $350/year is a
reasonable price for some measure of domestic tranquility. Because what is
your junk is her childhood treasure, or that of her darling children. Some
stuff will go away when, and if, she's ready. And woe unto the spouse who
tosses the other's stuff, without consultation. You think it's cold where
WeeGee lives?

Oh, that chill goes beyond bone-deep. I grok it now. Thanks.
Still...no, I'd better not verbalize that one. Never mind.

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:06:22 -0500, the inscrutable Renata
spake:

wrote:

[...]

He or she is RIGHT! The exceptions are books (of all types), wood,
and tools (or all types), the reason for the majority of that 9685#.
I brought a cubic meter of Jarrah with me, plus a 35 year collection
of tools. Once I finally get some of those tools into cabinets, I'll
have room to build furniture in the shop.

I am trying to be judicious about what I take but often I get caught
up in just trying to get the packing done that I just start throwing
things in boxes. Maybe 1/4 but more likely an 1/8 will not move with
me (not including shop which is near 100% keep).

When I found boxes I hadn't opened in 20 years, I figured I could live
without the contents (though I did look.)

The shop was bloody difficult - stuff's heavy and you have to use
smaller boxes, but often stuff is long or something that contradicts
the 2 unless you get a specially shaped box. Bessey/Jorgy clamps -
50+"; lamp box - 48". Plus, if I fill the box, it probably weighs too
much.

I made a bunch of OSB + tubatoo boxes for the strangely sized stuff
and small tools which wouldn't get damaged by proximity. Two of them
ended up under my assembly bench http://diversify.com/wood/shop.html
Argh!

DON'T save your collection of stray screws, nuts, and bolts. 99% of
the stuff you HAD was because you NEVER needed ANY of it. Then buy
boxes of 100 of whatever you need in the future. It'll cost $3-5
instead of $0.89 for two and you'll have some for next time -without-
the delay and the drive into town IF they're open at that time of
day/night/holiday. DAMHIKT

Good luck with the move. It's hell, but about 3 months after you get
there, all is right with the world again, you have your energy back,
and you know precisely where everything from every box went.

Thanx! I was just debating if I should hold off on the moving and
concentrate on my other priorities. But then, the thought of a
"nicer" (in many ways) place got me going again.

I was in so many hidden ruts in my old house I didn't realize six
dozen of them at all. Once I moved, the sun became brighter, the
air cleaner, and the smell of life came into my nostrils, seemingly
for the first time. 'Course, half of that is Oregon.

Moving is an exhausting and extremely energizing thing to do. Did you
know that 90% of all people reside and die within 10 miles of their
birthplace? What a bummer. Move, girl!

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
jo4hn

Renata wrote:
[snip]
The shop was bloody difficult - stuff's heavy and you have to use
smaller boxes, but often stuff is long or something that contradicts
the 2 unless you get a specially shaped box. Bessey/Jorgy clamps -
50+"; lamp box - 48". Plus, if I fill the box, it probably weighs too
much.

Argh!

We moved from Arcadia (LA area) to our mountain abode a couple years
ago. Our #4 daughter works for a logistics outfit and thus has an "in"
with several major moving companies. She picked one with experience in
moving commercial shops of various types. They did an excellent job of
getting the really heavy stuff up the hill with seemingly no effort.
Nothing was broken or even bent.

Of course, I packed a tailed drill, belt sander, carpenter's apron, and
some other "once in a while usage" stuff and got a completely wrong
picture in my head of what I had done with it. Even with the boxes
marked clearly. #&*%^%#^. Made do for a while until I really needed
that belt sander to clean up some old redwood. Went out and bought a
new one whereupon (of course) I found the box by accident. Grumble. Oh
well, daughter #5 needed a belt sander so she got the old one. Never a
dull moment.

sigh,
jo4hn
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 08:02:48 -0500, Renata wrote:

Since my shop is all packed up, I've been doing more lurking than
posting of late.

Moving? Hopefully to a larger shop. :-)

Today, there's only 212 headers that download. This, in a group that
normally generates ~400.

Of that 212, seems a few are from trolls.

Where has the regular crowd gotten to? Everyone suddenly lose
interest in WW'g, or have y'all moved somewhere else (which may make
it difficult for you to answer my query)? Or?

Renata

Spent Easter break in Oceanside, CA. No woodworking, all beach,
Legoland, and SeaWorld. Came back to 2200+ posts on rec.ww, seems we have
a new troll infestation.

Did get a chance to put the first coat of Watco on 1/3 of the
entertainment center this afternoon.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

[...]

Funny, after living in our original house for 13 years where I knew where
everything was, after the move 6 years ago, I find it hard to find stuff
even though it was carefully put away in a new home when it got here.

Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

Patriarch

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:
snip
Funny, after living in our original house for 13 years where I knew
where
everything was, after the move 6 years ago, I find it hard to find
stuff even though it was carefully put away in a new home when it got
here.

Well, DUH! You're 20 years older than when you moved into that first
house! ;-)

Patriarch
Renata

Now there's a fine idea. Was thinking of running away myself for a
few days to the other coast's ocean. 'Specially since the weather's
finally coming around.

Renata

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:47:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:
-snip-

Spent Easter break in Oceanside, CA. No woodworking, all beach,
Legoland, and SeaWorld. Came back to 2200+ posts on rec.ww, seems we have
a new troll infestation.

-snip-
The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

mac davis

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:47:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Spent Easter break in Oceanside, CA. No woodworking, all beach,
Legoland, and SeaWorld. Came back to 2200+ posts on rec.ww, seems we have
a new troll infestation.

We passed Legoland sign on the way to Baja last week, I tried to go past it
really, really fast, but the wife saw it anyway and immediately said "let's take
the grand kids"... *groan*
How bad was it? lol

Looking forward to a weekend of:

being away from wood for 2 or 3 days

Having 2 kids on a trip from Fresno to Oceanside and back

Having 2 kids bored within 30 min. of leaving home

standing in lines waiting to spend money on loud things

Golden years?? who made that BS up? rofl

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:59:17 -0700, the inscrutable mac davis
spake:

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:47:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Spent Easter break in Oceanside, CA. No woodworking, all beach,
Legoland, and SeaWorld. Came back to 2200+ posts on rec.ww, seems we have
a new troll infestation.

Mark, you foo! You missed the most spectacular sight in California
if you missed going to the San Diego Wild Animal Park.

We passed Legoland sign on the way to Baja last week, I tried to go past it
really, really fast, but the wife saw it anyway and immediately said "let's take
the grand kids"... *groan*
How bad was it? lol

Looking forward to a weekend of:

being away from wood for 2 or 3 days

Having 2 kids on a trip from Fresno to Oceanside and back

Having 2 kids bored within 30 min. of leaving home

That's why Grandma and Grandpa have CD players with earphones.
They take enough for the kids to bring their CDs and enough
music to keep the kids out of their hair during the trip.

standing in lines waiting to spend money on loud things

I understand that one must either go into hock or put a 2nd mortgage
on the house in order to finance a family into Legoland for the day.

Golden years?? who made that BS up? rofl

Golden Years, HELL! It's now referred to as the Metal Years.
You have silver in your hair, gold in your teeth, and lead in your
ass.

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 23:51:00 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote in
:
snip
Funny, after living in our original house for 13 years where I knew
where
everything was, after the move 6 years ago, I find it hard to find
stuff even though it was carefully put away in a new home when it got
here.

Well, DUH! You're 20 years older than when you moved into that first
house! ;-)

Oh man, I hope the next 20 years don't get worse! :-)

Patriarch

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:59:17 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:47:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Spent Easter break in Oceanside, CA. No woodworking, all beach,
Legoland, and SeaWorld. Came back to 2200+ posts on rec.ww, seems we have
a new troll infestation.

We passed Legoland sign on the way to Baja last week, I tried to go past it
really, really fast, but the wife saw it anyway and immediately said "let's take
the grand kids"... *groan*
How bad was it? lol

SeaWorld was better.

But, depending upon what interests you, Legoland wasn't bad, there are
some very elaborate lego scenes and sculptures that will get your
attention. The rides aren't too bad, we only did a couple, the lines were
too long (one of the mistakes of taking Easter break to do it).

Downside, at every turn there's a cart trying to sell crap -- hoping to
wear down parents' resistance and the ability to say, "no, we're not
getting that. You get one thing at the end of the day" However, some of
us stubborn old Germans don't wear down easily, 'course the kid has the
same genes, so he doesn't give up easy either. :-(

Looking forward to a weekend of:

being away from wood for 2 or 3 days

Having 2 kids on a trip from Fresno to Oceanside and back

Having 2 kids bored within 30 min. of leaving home

standing in lines waiting to spend money on loud things

Most of the lego stuff is pretty quiet, if that's any help.

Golden years?? who made that BS up? rofl

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:58:45 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:59:17 -0700, the inscrutable mac davis
spake:

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:47:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Spent Easter break in Oceanside, CA. No woodworking, all beach,
Legoland, and SeaWorld. Came back to 2200+ posts on rec.ww, seems we have
a new troll infestation.

Mark, you foo! You missed the most spectacular sight in California
if you missed going to the San Diego Wild Animal Park.

We decided to save that for a future trip to the coast.

.... snip

I understand that one must either go into hock or put a 2nd mortgage
on the house in order to finance a family into Legoland for the day.

There are only 3 of us, so we got by just selling one of the cars. :-)
Actually, Legoland was cheaper than Seaworld, but IMO, you get more value
from Seaworld, it stays open till 9 pm vs. 6 pm for legoland and has much
more to see and take in.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:21:30 -0700, the inscrutable Mark & Juanita
spake:

wrote:

[...]

The WAP was $26 per visit or $55/yr for a Zoological Society pass.
I had passes for the last half-decade of my LoCal life and went there
often for exercise and to people/animal watch. For a family, a pass
might be the best way to see both the WAP and the Zoo for less money.
I suggest multiple days to take in the WAP, so you can take your time
and hike the 10+ miles of trails between exhibits. I just wish I'd
broken out the crowbar ($50) and taken the photographic tour and drive
through the heart of the preserve on the back of a flatbed pickup. The
Botanical Garden is a good uphill hike there, and is fairly quiet, so
it was good for reading a book or quiet meditation. Another good spot
is the little peninsula next to the ring-tailed lemurs. They're great
to watch for half an hour or so.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design