Default unusual woods and wood gloat

Last fall I cut down a very old mock orange shrub growing next to our
foundation. The wood looked kind of interesting, so I kept several of
the larger chunks, mostly 2-6 inch diameter, 2-3 feet long stuff. The
other day I decided to see how it machined and crosscut a smaller
piece; I haven't ripped it yet, but what I got on the crosscut is
encouraging: very dense, tight grain with a mellow nut-beige color
(kinda like raw cashew nuts or sesame seeds, but a shade or two darker)
and a glass-smooth surface (from a dull blade!). My first thought was
to make a few percussion instrutments, striking tools and tool handles.
It would also make a beautiful inlay on a dark, contrasting base.
I'll let you know what I do with it.

So I'm wondering what other unusual woods have been used, by whom, for
what?

My gloat: from our local city mulch site I scored two 3' long sections
of 8" dia. log that appear to be apple, and am going back for a 6'-6"
dia. piece. It is pretty twisty, but the color is incredible--oranges,
reds and pinks, with the paler heartwood.

Dan

Good find on the apple wood. I have heard that some is great. I have
some - it is average.
My short experience is that it likes to twist a lot when you cut it
into boards. So, let it cure in the log sections for a while, then when
it's cut, get some pressure on it (to keep it flat).

I haven't "found" a lot of good wood, but you can definately make some
awesome table tops by mixing and matching various lumber that comes off
a Woodmizer, or you rip your self. There's a successful restaurant up
the hill (probably seats 200), all the table tops are high-glossed
mixed:walnut, maple, butternut, cherry,hickory, maybe others.