Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
JJM

Default Air Dry vs, Kiln Dry

I have an opportunity to purchase 200 board feet of "air dried" white
oak for about $1.50 per board foot. The wood has been air drying for
11 months and I went there with a meter and it has an adjusted for
temperature moisture content of 8%. It is rough cut to 4/4 but I have
a planer so that is not an issue.

I want to make a roll top desk and my question is simply am I making a
mistake in not getting kiln dried lumber. What can I expect after it
begins to dry in the home after the desk is made?

Would appreciate any experienced comments.