charlie b

Default Are There No Pointy Stick Makers Left?

To date, The Pointy Stick Compendium Project has only received
one, count 'em one, pointy stick contribution. Has the noble and
ancient art of pointy stick making almost died out. Are there
no pointy stick makers amongst us? Surely there are a few
neanders who have kept the craft alive. And someone out there
with a CNC machine has to have made at least one pointy stick.

So PLEASE, send your photos and drawings of YOUR pointy
stick. And if you would, try and keep the file size below
5 megs, 100K would be preferable. And some text describing
the stick, including the style, method of fabricating, wood
used and source of inspiration would be appreciated.

TIA

charlie b
E.D. - TPSCP
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...OfContent.html

ps I've gotten wind of a "throw it away and it comes back"
pointy stick that was found in OZ. Am researching
that one.
Swingman

"charlie b" wrote in message
To date, The Pointy Stick Compendium Project has only received
one, count 'em one, pointy stick contribution. Has the noble and
ancient art of pointy stick making almost died out. Are there
no pointy stick makers amongst us?

Sorry ... I would love to contribute, but don't have enough room in my shop
to make pointy sticks worthy of the effort.

OK, dammit, here's one ... it's a Pointy Stick Bill Cap that, with a little
practice, and a steady (slightly oversized) head, allows you to keep both
(count'em, TWO) hands free on the measuring device while marking your wood,
(or is the other way around?):

http://e-woodshop.net/files/PointyStickBillCap.JPG

Also great for those who are missing personal indexing digits on account of
not having heard of splitters and guards. Plans are available for a small
shipping and handing fee for WWCA ...or will be after they rip this off
also.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Dave O'Heare

"Swingman" wrote in message

http://e-woodshop.net/files/PointyStickBillCap.JPG

Well, I'm not sure about the hat, but I think I've met the guy wearing
it....

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Leon

"charlie b" wrote in message
To date, The Pointy Stick Compendium Project has only received
one, count 'em one, pointy stick contribution. Has the noble and
ancient art of pointy stick making almost died out. Are there
no pointy stick makers amongst us? Surely there are a few
neanders who have kept the craft alive. And someone out there
with a CNC machine has to have made at least one pointy stick.

So PLEASE, send your photos and drawings of YOUR pointy
stick. And if you would, try and keep the file size below
5 megs, 100K would be preferable. And some text describing
the stick, including the style, method of fabricating, wood
used and source of inspiration would be appreciated.

While on a reality check trip this weekend to the oldest town in Texas, I
found Pointy Sticks going for a little over $2 each at a large and old
hardware store. See a.b.p.w. for a picture.

Lawrence Wasserman

Most of the pointy-stick manufacturing base has moved offshore now. In
fact, they are so cheaply made by foreign labor that Chinese
restaurants often give them away with meals!

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

patrick conroy

"charlie b" wrote in message

ancient art of pointy stick making almost died out. Are there
no pointy stick makers amongst us? Surely there are a few
neanders who have kept the craft alive. And someone out there
with a CNC machine has to have made at least one pointy stick.

Wal*Mart drove my PS business into the ground!
Damn you Sam!

Mr. B.,
My great great Grandfather was a Pointy Stick Master Craftsman. I
recently found a photo of him with a partially completed Pointy Stick.
(He is the fellow wearing the hat)
http://www.ss.ca.gov/archives/level3_phguideimg6.html

Dave O'Heare

"charlie b" wrote in message

Am anxiously awaiting a "can't lose it" pointy stick coming
from Australia. I'm told you can actually throw it away - and
it comes right back!

I had one of those once, but I never tried it; it was so bent in the middle
that it couldn't possibly have worked.

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Peter Ashby

Dave O'Heare oheareATmagmaDOTca wrote:

"charlie b" wrote in message

Am anxiously awaiting a "can't lose it" pointy stick coming
from Australia. I'm told you can actually throw it away - and
it comes right back!

I had one of those once, but I never tried it; it was so bent in the middle
that it couldn't possibly have worked.

It only works when thrown at marsupials, did you try it on an oppossum?

Peter

Dave O'Heare

uk...

"charlie b" wrote in message

Am anxiously awaiting a "can't lose it" pointy stick coming
from Australia. I'm told you can actually throw it away - and
it comes right back!

I had one of those once, but I never tried it; it was so bent in the

middle
that it couldn't possibly have worked.

It only works when thrown at marsupials, did you try it on an oppossum?

Dang, *there's* the problem. Ain't no marsupials this far north.

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca

Peter Ashby

"charlie b" wrote in message

Am anxiously awaiting a "can't lose it" pointy stick coming
from Australia. I'm told you can actually throw it away - and
it comes right back!

I had one of those once, but I never tried it; it was so bent in the

middle
that it couldn't possibly have worked.

It only works when thrown at marsupials, did you try it on an oppossum?

Dang, *there's* the problem. Ain't no marsupials this far north.

You could try importing a mountain wallaby, that might survive. Be a
might expensive just for testing a stick but.

Peter
J. Clarke

"charlie b" wrote in message

Am anxiously awaiting a "can't lose it" pointy stick coming
from Australia. I'm told you can actually throw it away - and
it comes right back!

I had one of those once, but I never tried it; it was so bent in the

middle
that it couldn't possibly have worked.

It only works when thrown at marsupials, did you try it on an oppossum?

Dang, *there's* the problem. Ain't no marsupials this far north.

How far north _are_ you? The range of the 'possum in North America includes
parts of Ontario and BC. Further they seem to be moving north.

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

LMAO!
-Phil Crow

Robatoy

In article .com,
wrote:

Mr. B.,
My great great Grandfather was a Pointy Stick Master Craftsman. I
recently found a photo of him with a partially completed Pointy Stick.
(He is the fellow wearing the hat)
http://www.ss.ca.gov/archives/level3_phguideimg6.html

Absolutely breath-taking. I can't get the image out of my head as to
what was going to happen next.....

wow

Dave O'Heare

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
How far north _are_ you? The range of the 'possum in North America

includes
parts of Ontario and BC. Further they seem to be moving north.

I'm in Ottawa. The closest I've been to an opossum here has been the
occasional raccoon that comes in from the Experimental Farm, or the skunks
that sometimes decide that our front steps would be a good place to live
under.

I wouldn't throw a stick at a 'coon; don't want to give them any ideas on
toolmaking and stuff. And throwing a stick at a skunk is simply not bright.
I'd either miss it, in which case there was no point, or I'd hit it, which
might upset it, and I'm allergic to tomato juice.

Dave O'H
oheareATmagmaDOTca

SawDust (Pat)

Well Dave, not like they have the AutoSky drive-in anymore....

Pat