DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What nail size ????? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/94671-what-nail-size.html)

John C March 11th 05 08:46 AM

What nail size ?????

What size of nail is reccomended for nailing two 50mm pieces of wood
together. My drawing states 4mm ring nails but is there a rule of thumb on
what length to use.

Regards,

john

Edwin Pawlowski March 11th 05 11:19 AM

"John C" wrote in message
. uk...
What size of nail is reccomended for nailing two 50mm pieces of wood
together. My drawing states 4mm ring nails but is there a rule of thumb on
what length to use.

Regards,

john

In your case, less than 100 mm.

You want to penetrate at least half way into the second part. I'd go for
about 75 mm.

Robert Bonomi March 11th 05 08:35 PM

In article ,
John C wrote:
What size of nail is reccomended for nailing two 50mm pieces of wood
together. My drawing states 4mm ring nails but is there a rule of thumb on
what length to use.

The "rule of thumb" about things to be hit with hammers is quite simple:

DON'T!

hit the nail on the thumb, that is.

For a serious answer, barring special circumstances, the nail has to go
all the way through the 1st piece of wood. This places a 'lower bound' on
the length. And you _don't_ want it to go all the way through the 2nd
piece -- because then the point would be sticking out. this places an
'upper bound' on the length. A "split the difference" approach works
just fine, between those limits.