DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Adjusting a harbor freight pancake compressor ? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/94430-adjusting-harbor-freight-pancake-compressor.html)

rob March 9th 05 03:26 PM

Adjusting a harbor freight pancake compressor ?

I have the cheap $80. harbor freight pancake compressor. It works well
in my shop for brad nailing and other light duty work.

When I use it with my framing nail gun, it can't keep up the pressure
the gun needs.

Has anyone adjusted the switch that turns the compressor on when it
gets to about 80 PSI ? I'd like it to turn on at 90, I don't care if
I burn up the compressor.

Thanks,
rob

rob March 15th 05 02:34 PM

Is there no one who has tried to adjust a cheap compressor ?

Edwin Pawlowski March 15th 05 02:58 PM

"rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there no one who has tried to adjust a cheap compressor ?

What's to adjust? If the compressor is not capable of putting out a high
pressure, it does not matter how much you adjust the screws on the
regulator.

Duane Bozarth March 15th 05 03:16 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there no one who has tried to adjust a cheap compressor ?

What's to adjust? If the compressor is not capable of putting out a high
pressure, it does not matter how much you adjust the screws on the
regulator.

It's not the pressure, it's the volume...

For adjusting, either there's an adjustable setscrew on the pressure
switch or not--can't tell from here, but wouldn't be at all surprised if
there isn't.

While said you don't care whether burn out the compressor, don't see
that that will help... :) You need a larger capacity compressor to run
a framing nailer or else work slower so the compressor you have can keep
up. You could use a larger pressure tank that would give you a little
longer initial time, but once it's depleted you're back to the same
problem...

rob March 16th 05 02:53 PM

Ahh, thanks! Thats just what I needed. I'll look for a set screw on
what I think is the pressure switch.

I just want the compressor to kick on at a higher PSI than the one its
set for now.

Thanks for the advice,
rob

Duane Bozarth March 16th 05 03:03 PM

rob wrote:

Ahh, thanks! Thats just what I needed. I'll look for a set screw on
what I think is the pressure switch.

I just want the compressor to kick on at a higher PSI than the one its
set for now.

As you noted, this may (probably will) shorten the life of the
compressor/motor if you can. The higher pressure will make starting
harder...whether it's got enough "guts" to handle it is ????...

os2guy_in_kc May 17th 05 03:18 PM

Yes it's possible, the normal disclamers all apply, I have one that I
adjusted from about 100 psi max to about 130 psi. Took some tweeking
of the pressure switch and some fiddling with the pressure relief
valve. Probably shortened the life of the compressor some, but it's
been running my nailers for a year now.