Jane & David

Default Opinions: are round-ended through tenons in good taste?

Is it considered in acceptable taste to use machine-cut round-ended
tenons for through tenons on furniture? Does it depend on the style?

This isn't for anything I'm working on now; just for information. I know
it's my work and I can use anything I feel like, but what will it look
like to knowledgeable viewers? I don't want my tenons to look like brown
shoes with a tux.

Thanks, PDX David

Probably most guys who make mortises by hand just like the feel of
chopping good hardwood. You can't feel that with a router.

IMHO, if you are trying to make furniture to earn a living, round
tenons won't help you. And if you are trying to emulate the art of a
by-gone era, same thing, round tenons won't help you.

The tools are cheap. It's the effort that costs.

Jane & David wrote:
Is it considered in acceptable taste to use machine-cut round-ended
tenons for through tenons on furniture? Does it depend on the style?

This isn't for anything I'm working on now; just for information. I

know
it's my work and I can use anything I feel like, but what will it

look
like to knowledgeable viewers? I don't want my tenons to look like

brown
shoes with a tux.

Thanks, PDX David

San Diego Joe

"Jane & David" wrote:

Is it considered in acceptable taste to use machine-cut round-ended
tenons for through tenons on furniture? Does it depend on the style?

This isn't for anything I'm working on now; just for information. I know
it's my work and I can use anything I feel like, but what will it look
like to knowledgeable viewers? I don't want my tenons to look like brown
shoes with a tux.

Thanks, PDX David

David,

What I would say is, what's important to you? I admire the people who hand
cut dovetails and engage in the "traditional" aspect of woodworking. That
being said, I think everyone finds a level that suits how they want to work
and a level they can feel proud of. Is a hand made joint cooler than a
machined one? Sure, because the maker put a learned skill to use; but if you
walk into a kitchen that has just been remodeled by the average woodworker
with all new cabinetry and all the drawers are dovetailed, does anyone
really believe they did those all by hand? Probably not.

So if I walked into your living room and saw a piece of furniture that had a
round ended tenon showing I'd probably think, hmmm, good idea.

Besides, how many people who look at something like that even know what they
are looking at unless they are a woodworker? My wife doesn't care if I make
something with a finger joint or a dovetail, to her they are equally
elegant.

I guess my point is, build to suit your self.

Just MHO

--
San Diego Joe

Unisaw A100

It does make the piece appear that the maker didn't want to
"go the extra".

Your Mileage May Vary.

UA100

Owen Lawrence

Besides, how many people who look at something like that even know what
they
are looking at unless they are a woodworker? My wife doesn't care if I

make
something with a finger joint or a dovetail, to her they are equally
elegant.

Walk around a suburban neighbourhood some summer evening and notice how many
garages a filled with tools and sawdust. There are a surprising number of
people around who have a clue.

I guess my point is, build to suit your self.

I would agree. Yet the OP asked for opinions, so here it comes. I'd rather
see rectangular tenons, with a fit tight enough to admire.

- Owen -

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Jane & David
wrote:

Is it considered in acceptable taste to use machine-cut round-ended
tenons for through tenons on furniture? Does it depend on the style?

I'd say yes. I've seen some '60s generic Scandiwegian lounge furniture
done this way that didn't look out of place. Things like tapered chair
arms and extensive use of a roundover bit on the edges helped too.

It's a bad idea to mix the discussion of mortise and tenon execution
with Windsor chair construction.

What would a Windsor chair look like with square mortise and tenons?
Humm...
Or, how many furniture guys can make mortise and tenon joints with
compound angles? Humm...

Make what you enjoy.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Good High Wheel Mower -- Tall Grass ??? James Nipper Home Repair 2 April 23rd 04 02:44 AM
Unisaw restoration project: good idea or money pit? Heath Roberts Woodworking 21 December 3rd 03 11:57 PM
Design - Cultural Factors charlieb Woodworking 4 July 28th 03 07:51 PM