DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Would it be sacrilidge to cut an Accufence down to 30" (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/94139-would-sacrilidge-cut-accufence-down-30%22.html)

Mike Rinken March 8th 05 03:14 AM

Would it be sacrilidge to cut an Accufence down to 30"

After looking at the Vega and the Accufence, I'm sold on the Accufence. I
love the T Track on all sides (seeing as I'm setting up the table saw to
double as a router table) it's dead accurate and doesn't move a bit once
tightened down. I really didn't like the Vega for some reason, call it a
gut reaction.

My issue is the length. I really don't want a 50" fence. I can see the
purpose of having one that long, but I have my Jet contractors saw on the
rolling base, and I can see the whole thing unbalanced and even tipping over
with all of that sticking off to one side. I also don't have the room in my
shop for it.

So could / should I cut it down to 30" or do I go with the Vega 30"?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rinken

John March 8th 05 06:39 AM

Go ahead and cut it down if you cannot find shorter rails for the
Accufence

John

Jim March 8th 05 11:11 AM

I think modifications are not just your right, but your duty. If a
tool doesn't fit your right, it can be a safety hazard as well as a
torture test. I do woodworking for fun & I love my tools. If I don't
like a tool that I use frequently, it would be like being married to a
woman I don't like. shudder

Jim

[email protected] March 8th 05 01:19 PM

Mike...

I'm in the same boat with a small shop and right smack in the middle
is a lolly column. My TS fits fine between the column and the wall,
but I can never go beyond a 40" wide saw because I need that 10-12
inches on either side for wiggle room.

If and when I get another saw, it'll have to be within the same
dimensional parameters but I think I'll explore folding outfeed table.

Cut the fence. You could always buy new rails down the road if you
move into a bigger space.

Bob G. March 8th 05 03:36 PM

dot net wrote:

After looking at the Vega and the Accufence, I'm sold on the Accufence. I
love the T Track on all sides (seeing as I'm setting up the table saw to
double as a router table) it's dead accurate and doesn't move a bit once
tightened down. I really didn't like the Vega for some reason, call it a
gut reaction.
===============snip snip snip ========

If you like the Accufence better then the Vega I personally do not see
any reason that you should not just cut down the rails to a size you
feel comfortable with... (30, 36, 42,46,,, whatever suits your
needs...

You may also try to trade the rails to some guy who needs or wants a
50 inch fence system...but bought the shorter rails, maybe because he
lacked space at the time etc...

Go with what you like...sweat the details later...

Bob Griffiths

Mike Rinken March 8th 05 03:47 PM

Thanks for all of the help with this. I'm purchasing tonight and I'll cut
it down to size!

One followup question - Does it make sense to get a metal cutting blade for
my Power Miter saw to cut it, or just take a hack saw to it then grind any
burs off with a belt sander and a dremel for final clean up? Just
wondering.

Thanks again!

Mike Rinken

Mike Rinken March 8th 05 05:51 PM

Never mind.

http://www.mulecab.com/

Found a 40" fence, the router table add on and the router table fence. This
is the EXACT setup I wanted. $429 for all with free shipping. Thank god
for tax refunds!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Mike Rinken

Jerry March 9th 05 01:46 AM

I had a 52" Beasmeyer and cut it down to 32". Used a metal cutting
blade in my Makita miter saw. If you do this, be sure to protect the
saw from the heat that is generated.