DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   tablesaw guard (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/94021-tablesaw-guard.html)

Jeff Fleisher March 7th 05 12:23 PM

tablesaw guard

I am considering purchasing a HTC Brett tablesaw guard. This is the guard
used in Kelly Mehler's 'Tablesaw video/DVD'. Does anyone have any
experience with this guard and can provide comments? The best price I've
found is on Amazon.com....anyone have any good sources for a supplier for
either a new or used guard?
Thanks,
Jeff

Jim March 7th 05 02:24 PM

I tend to remove saw guards, not buy them. While some guards can be
helpful, I've never found one for a table saw that I thought was any
good. Most of them seem a danger to me. I'd rather have the blade out
in the open & practice safety on my own. I've (knock on wood) never
had an accident with a tablesaw by just always respecting it a lot,
taking my time & being careful.

Bob G. March 7th 05 07:43 PM

On 7 Mar 2005 06:24:44 -0800, "Jim" wrote:

I tend to remove saw guards, not buy them. While some guards can be
helpful, I've never found one for a table saw that I thought was any
good. Most of them seem a danger to me. I'd rather have the blade out
in the open & practice safety on my own. I've (knock on wood) never
had an accident with a tablesaw by just always respecting it a lot,
taking my time & being careful.

=============================
I tend to agree with you.... However I have been running an Excalibur
overhead guard on my saw for almost 15 years and to be very truthful I
like it... adjusts in less then a second...can be moved 2 foot to the
left or right of the blade in less then 2 seconds.. or completely
removed in a few minutes (I am guessing here as in 15 years I never
had any reason to remove it) ...

Using a saw without a guard is a lot safer then using "most" saws that
have the OEM guard in place... on that I agree 100 percent.

Bob Griffiths

Jim March 7th 05 10:35 PM

Well, you certainly have my interest. You pegged it with the OEM
guards & if you liked this one, it must be worth at least looking at.
There have been some nervous times when a good anti-kickback guard
would have made me feel more comfortable - just didn't know they made
such a thing. My ignorance. Thanks for correcting it.

Jim

Bob G. March 7th 05 11:17 PM

On 7 Mar 2005 14:35:31 -0800, "Jim" wrote:

Well, you certainly have my interest. You pegged it with the OEM
guards & if you liked this one, it must be worth at least looking at.
There have been some nervous times when a good anti-kickback guard
would have made me feel more comfortable - just didn't know they made
such a thing. My ignorance. Thanks for correcting it.

Jim

Several companies make overhead guards....
Mine does not have anti kickback paws... and personally I do not want
them...

When I purchased the saw 15 years ago I did unpact the OEM guard
layed it aside until I left the shop...at which time I deposited it in
the trash... never even bothered to install it... never been sorry
either...

Bob G..