DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Floorboard Gaps Oak (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/93394-floorboard-gaps-oak.html)

Martin Noakes March 2nd 05 02:47 PM

Floorboard Gaps Oak

Hi there

I have a problem with some rather large gaps in my floorboards in the
lounge. They're Oak, and where they've shrunk the gaps aren't even.

I was thinkn that the best approach would be to un-screw them and
strainghten up the boards and then relay them pushed up close together.

My question is does anyone know of any good websites that cover this type of
project, and what's the best way to staraighten up the edges of the boards
so that they are both straight and parralell.

Many thanks for any help

Martin.

Edwin Pawlowski March 2nd 05 02:56 PM

"Martin Noakes" wrote in message
. ..
Hi there

I have a problem with some rather large gaps in my floorboards in the
lounge. They're Oak, and where they've shrunk the gaps aren't even.

I was thinkn that the best approach would be to un-screw them and
strainghten up the boards and then relay them pushed up close together.

My question is does anyone know of any good websites that cover this type
of
project, and what's the best way to staraighten up the edges of the boards
so that they are both straight and parralell.

Many thanks for any help

Martin.

Wait until summer and they will come back., If you close the gaps now, they
may buckle when it expands later. If you air is very dry, use a humidifier.

Martin Noakes March 2nd 05 03:10 PM

Thanks Edwin,

These boards have been laid for about 7 years and they were obviously not
seasoned and that would account for the shrinkage.

Some gaps are up to 1 inch widemost are about 1/2 an inch!

Cheers

Martin

Will March 2nd 05 03:11 PM

And if they are still bad this summer then the only cure is to lift and
relay the floor. Been there done that.

T&BP for convenience of all political stripes.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Edwin Pawlowski March 2nd 05 03:29 PM

"Martin Noakes" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks Edwin,

These boards have been laid for about 7 years and they were obviously not
seasoned and that would account for the shrinkage.

Some gaps are up to 1 inch widemost are about 1/2 an inch!

That is more that seasonal change. If you are going to move them, wait
until they are swelled in the humid summer.