charlie b

Default The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is
scattered all over hell. I’d like to create a compendium of that
information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it
gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to
contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following
questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the
subject line “The Pointy Stick Compendium Project”.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.

Sincerely

charlie b

Director
The
Pointy Stick Compendium Project

- Where can I find plans for a [ _______ ] Pointy Stick ?
point on the top
point on the bottom
point on the left end
point on the right end
right handed
left handed
-Whats the best way to make Pointy Sticks ?
(I only have $9,000 budgeted for tools)
- Anyone have plans for a jig to make Pointy Sticks that's:
cheap?
easy?
“high precision”?
- Where can I buy a jig to make Pointy Sticks
that’s cheap?
that’s easy to use?
that is mirco adjustable?
- What makes a good Pointy Stick good?
how long should the point be?
can The Golden Mean be applied to Pointy Stick design?
should I put a micro point on my Pointy Stick?
are Japanese laminated point Pointy Sticks worth the extra money?
- Who makes the best Pointy Stick and why?
- Should I try and find a Pointy Stick at a flea market and
restore it or should I just bite the bullet and order a
LIe NIelsen Pointy Stick?
- Has anyone seen or actually used the new Veritas Pointy Stick?
- What wood should I use for my Pointy Stick?
hard hardwood?
soft hardwood?
hard softwood?
soft softwood?
what about laminated Pointy Sticks?
- Is Grain Orientation important for Pointy Sticks and, if so,
how should the grain be oriented relative to the long axis
of the Pointy Stick?
- Is fire hardening the tip worth it?
- Is it really necessary to polish the tip of my Pointy Stick
or can I stop at 6000 grit?
- Should I put a finish on my Pointed Stick and, if so,
what is the best finish to use on my Pointy Stick?
- My Pointy Stick split. Any way to repair it or should I just
start all over?
- I picked up a Pointy Stick at a garage sale/ was given my
great great great grandfather’s / grandmother’s Pointy Stick/
dug up an old Pointy Stick while digging a new outhouse
hole / dug up an old Pointy Stick while searching for bottles
in an OLD outhouse hole:
where can I find a manual for it?
how do I get the dirt/paint/motor oil/blood/? off / out of it?
anyone know how to tell the age of a Pointy Stick?
is there anyway to find out who made it?
- Where do you get ideas for your Pointy Sticks
- Who, in your opinion, was, or is, the best Pointy Stick maker
- Opinions of Gary Knox Bennett’s Pointy Sticks
- Has James Krenov ever made a Pointy Stick

Please feel free to add to this list and/or answer any of the
above questions.

Here's a footnote from The Origins of the Pointy Stick section
of the compendium

*1 Whittting: a fundamentalist form of woodworking. Practioners are
known as Widdlers in South Eastern North America, Whittlers in most of
the rest of North America except parts of eastern Canada, Whytthlaeres
in England, Witliers in Frahnz and the eastern parts of Canada,
Dasdudeseinsliecendevoodmiteinkniphenteule in the former Austrian Empire
and “squiggly line, two dots, a slashing curved line with a hook on the
end and three dots over it” in Arabic

Whittlers predate The Era of Roy. Some Poiinty Stick historians believe
the Whittlers were themselves predated by the Stone Rubbers and a theory
is developing which involves “gnawing” and the use of prehistoric beaver
teeth as tools. Beavers are thought to be the inspiration for the
Pointy Stick Concept.
jo4hn

charlie b wrote:
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is
scattered all over hell. I’d like to create a compendium of that
information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it
gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to
contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following
questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the
subject line “The Pointy Stick Compendium Project”.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.

Sincerely

charlie b

Director

[snip of funny stuff]

Great idea. But don't forget those of us who have purchased an "el
cheapo" at Harbor Fright/Northern Tool/Canadian Tire for a buck two
ninety-eight. It won't last as long as the PC/PM/yellow tool version
but may be only slightly worse than the Griz PS5500. Or should I have
gone with the guy at the Borg's advice and bought the Binford R60?

mahalo,
jo4hn
J T

Sun, Feb 27, 2005, 8:18am (EST-3) (charlie=A0b)
says:
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks snip

Just remember, someone is always going to be careless.
http://www.castleofspirits.com/impaled.gif

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

Lee Michaels

"jo4hn" wrote in message
nk.net...
charlie b wrote:
[...]

The Binford R60?

Wasn't that rcommended by Tim the Toolman Taylor?

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:59:47 -0500, (J T) wrote:

Sun, Feb 27, 2005, 8:18am (EST-3)
(charlie*b)
says:
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks snip

Just remember, someone is always going to be careless.
http://www.castleofspirits.com/impaled.gif

That seems to fall along the lines of "just remember, someone will always
figure out a way to mis-use what is built. Try the following for someone
being careless, even the originator of the pointy-stick gets careless.

http://www.ezee-life.com/powerpoint/beaver.pps

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody

Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:45:06 -0500, Tom Watson wrote:

Would that glory which was Rome have been so glorious without the pointy
stick to stake the tents of its vast armies?

Did not the Pre-Socratics base their sacred geometry, resulting in the
golden mean, on the first iterations of the pointy stick?

Let us not forget the skewering of countless barbarians by the Roman
legions. Or for that matter, the post-Socratic uses of pointy sticks by
the Macedonian phalanxes.

And the very Egyptians, themselves, contemplating the true point of a
properly rendered pointy stick; did they not acquire their understanding
of the pyramids through careful consideration of its geometrical
pointyness?

We also need to credit the creators of the pointy stick, the original
Neandertals, whose [who's in wreckspeak] Mousterian tools, scientists have
discovered through microwear analysis, mainly show evidence of
wooddorking.

Not only did the pointy stick allow them to feed themselves by murdering
the mighty mammoth and other gentle tundra creatures, but also to clothe
themselves with their skins.

Nor should we forget the use of the pointy stick in the development of
agriculture where it was used both to plant seeds and harvest root crops.

The much derided humble pointy stick truly deserves whatever paean we give
it. It is at the base of all our human achievements, including the murder
of animals, plants and other humans and hence responsible for our
civilization. Ultimately, all our tools are merely extensions of the
pointy stick.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

Robatoy

In article et,
jo4hn wrote:

charlie b wrote:
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is
scattered all over hell. I¹d like to create a compendium of that
information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it
gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to
contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following
questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the
subject line ³The Pointy Stick Compendium Project².

Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.

Sincerely

charlie b

Director

[snip of funny stuff]

Great idea. But don't forget those of us who have purchased an "el
cheapo" at Harbor Fright/Northern Tool/Canadian Tire for a buck two
ninety-eight. It won't last as long as the PC/PM/yellow tool version
but may be only slightly worse than the Griz PS5500. Or should I have
gone with the guy at the Borg's advice and bought the Binford R60?

mahalo,
jo4hn

I generally suggest to consider the Fesstoolwerks Pfointy Schtick from
Germany. Not only does it have a 3 year warranty, it has two, count'em,
TWO ends. AFAIK, they are the only company who make oxygen free pointy
sticks.
Wood Butcher

Great start Charlie.
Here's a few more.

How do I stain my pine pointy stick to look like cherry?
Is wipe-on poly good for pointy sticks?
Can I BBQ with my pointy stick and what oil should I use so it is food safe?
Do I need Norms duplicator lathe to make a pointy stick?
If I take my pointy stick to Europe will it work on their electricity?
What kind of pointy stick does GW Bush have?
Pointy sticks are dangerous and legislation is needed to force the use of the new
"Point Stop" technology.
My pointy stick is in .rar format and I can't see it. What do I do?
Hi. First time poster here. What's a pointy stick?

Art

"charlie b" wrote in message
Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is
scattered all over hell. I'd like to create a compendium of that
information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it
gets lost for all times. If you, or anyone you know, would like to
contribute to this compendium or have answers to any of the following
questions - please either e-mail them to me or post them here with the
subject line "The Pointy Stick Compendium Project".

Thank you for any assistance you can provide with this matter.

Sincerely

charlie b

Tom O'Connor

I hve made a cherry pointy stick should I pant it? Thanks

J.B. Bobbitt

I've decided to make a Pointy Stick, and I've got the following
questions/comments:

Should I buy a Stanley No. 5 off E-bay, or slap down the cash for a
Lie-Nielsen? Or get one of Steve Knight's?

Has JOAT posted free plans for a Pointy Stick, or do I have to buy the
plans?

Will SWMBO want her own Pointy Stick after she sees mine?

What kind of Pointy Stick would Tage Frid/Krenov/Tom Plamann come up with?

What kind of lighting/heating/dust collection system should I put in my shop
to make Pointy Sticks?

Has Tom Watson written any hilarious stories about Pointy Sticks?

Where can I get custom-made brass hardware for my Pointy Stick?

Will LROD correct my usage of capitalization when I write "Pointy Stick"?

I went to the local woodworker's show to see the Pointy Stick stuff and
thought the admission and parking fee were too high.

Do I HAVE to use quarter-sawn oak to make a Craftsman-style Pointy Stick?

I think we ought to call Pointy Sticks "Pointed Sticks". It sounds less
foo-foo.

I've been putting copious amounts of Danish oil on my Pointed Stick for
several days and its all gooey. What did I do wrong?

While I was making an Pointy Stick, I had a kick-back on my table saw and
the Pointy Stick got thrown back through my mid-section and skewered me to
the shop wall. What should I do now? (Pics on ABPW)

What kind of wood is this Pointy Stick made out of? (Pics on ABPW)

I just finished a Pointy Stick for my first
daughter/son/grandaughter/grandson/&tc.!!!!! (Pics on ABPW).

Does Puppy Wizard know what Pointy Sticks are for?

I though I saw a Pointy Stick project described in Shopnotes. Has Krunchy
posted them in ABPW yet?

Bruce Barnett

charlie b writes:

Pointy Stick Compendium Project

LOL!! I think you should make this a FAQ

Tom Watson

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:18:22 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

Over the years, there have been many inquiries to The Wreck regarding
Pointy Sticks and a vast wealth of information about Pointy Sticks is
scattered all over hell. I’d like to create a compendium of that
information and put it all on an easily accesiible web site before it
gets lost for all times.

You have done everyone a great service.

The pointy stick deserves to be enshrined in the Great Wrecklish Hall,
so as to be venerated by the postulants, and so as to confound the
prevaricators, who diminish its worth by misunderstanding its critical
importance.

The pointy stick was used on the first PSAD program (Pointy Stick
Assisted Design) in conjunction with the soft clay that would become
the first record of WoodDorker's plans.

It is a great pity that all the free plans, made with the assistance
of pointy sticks, were lost in the great conflagration of the library
of Alexandria, which shall never enjoy the codification and
accessification of the magnificent Google (son of Gogol, of whom Deja
was the penultimate expression).

Would that glory which was Rome have been so glorious without the
pointy stick to stake the tents of its vast armies?

Did not the Pre-Socratics base their sacred geometry, resulting in the
golden mean, on the first iterations of the pointy stick?

And the very Egyptians, themselves, contemplating the true point of a
properly rendered pointy stick; did they not acquire their
understanding of the pyramids through careful consideration of its
geometrical pointyness?

You have honored the pointy stick, and your honoring shall bring you
great honor, yer honor.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Bruce

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:28:51 -0700, J.B. Bobbitt wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Beware, ATF regulations require you to register said pointy stick and equip
it with a serial number. Resale of pointy stick is unlawful!

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:17:54 -0700, Bruce wrote:

.... snip

I though I saw a Pointy Stick project described in Shopnotes. Has Krunchy
posted them in ABPW yet?

Beware, ATF regulations require you to register said pointy stick and equip
it with a serial number. Resale of pointy stick is unlawful!

That's only true in Massachussetts, New York City, and some areas of
California. In other states, following approved training, one can obtain a
PSCCP (Pointy-stick concealed carry permit).

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Tom Watson

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:34:45 +0000, "Luigi Zanasi"
wrote:

Not only did the pointy stick allow them to feed themselves by murdering
the mighty mammoth and other gentle tundra creatures, but also to clothe
themselves with their skins.

Ahh, the good old days.

Can't you just see yourself sitting at the table and saying to SWMBO,
"Mmmm, good mammoth!"

And how cozy it must have been, on one of those frosty tundra
mornings, to put on a nice warm mammoth turtleneck. Itchy, sure, and
a little funky on damp days, but very stylish.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Unisaw A100

Luigi Zanasi wrote:
The much derided humble pointy stick truly deserves whatever paean we give
it. It is at the base of all our human achievements, including the murder
of animals, plants and other humans and hence responsible for our
civilization. Ultimately, all our tools are merely extensions of the
pointy stick.

How else can you make a goad and what's being on the wreck
if you don't have a freshly pointed goad?

UA100
Conan the Librarian

Tom Watson wrote:

Ahh, the good old days.

Can't you just see yourself sitting at the table and saying to SWMBO,
"Mmmm, good mammoth!"

And how cozy it must have been, on one of those frosty tundra
mornings, to put on a nice warm mammoth turtleneck. Itchy, sure, and
a little funky on damp days, but very stylish.

I think I see your problem: You're supposed to skin the mammoth first.

Chuck Vance (Mr. Helpful)

Robin Lee

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I think we should split the group...

rec.woodworking.havemadeptystick
rec.woodworking.havenotmadeptystick

Perhaps we can discuss moderating it at the same time...

TTFN

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:34:45 +0000, the inscrutable "Luigi Zanasi"
spake:

Not only did the pointy stick allow them to feed themselves by murdering
the mighty mammoth and other gentle tundra creatures, but also to clothe
themselves with their skins.

Ah, so the pointy stick is to blame for the lack of nekkid wimmenz
around today. That shows the dualistic nature of the beast. It can
be used for good or evil.

Nor should we forget the use of the pointy stick in the development of
agriculture where it was used both to plant seeds and harvest root crops.

The much derided humble pointy stick truly deserves whatever paean we give
it. It is at the base of all our human achievements, including the murder
of animals, plants and other humans and hence responsible for our
civilization. Ultimately, all our tools are merely extensions of the
pointy stick.

Y'know, he also forgot tooth-pointysticks. (charlie, how COULD you?)

--
"Menja bé, caga fort!"
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:45:49 -0600, the inscrutable Conan the
Librarian spake:

Tom Watson wrote:

Ahh, the good old days.

Can't you just see yourself sitting at the table and saying to SWMBO,
"Mmmm, good mammoth!"

And how cozy it must have been, on one of those frosty tundra
mornings, to put on a nice warm mammoth turtleneck. Itchy, sure, and
a little funky on damp days, but very stylish.

I think I see your problem: You're supposed to skin the mammoth first.
Chuck Vance (Mr. Helpful)

Yabbut, he wanted his "heavy coat" for the chilly Winter days.

--
"Menja bé, caga fort!"
Lawrence Wasserman

For the sake of reduced bandwidth, might I suggest dividing the
compendium in half? One volume for right handed and one for left
handed pointy sticks?

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

TeamCasa

Evolution Pointy Stick:

Early years:
Wood, sharpened one end.
Wood, sharpened one end, sharper.
Wood, laminated, sharpened one end.

Modern era:
US Introduces the first steel point stick.
Japanese invent lightweight, durable pointy stick.
US Introduces a new composite, lighter stronger pointy stick.
Makita introduces the first cordless pointy stick
Milwaukee introduces the first 24V cordless pointyStick (tm)
DeWalt knocks of its 27V version

UP/API
The new Point Stick, weapon of choice for terrorists world wide in banned in
US and Canada. US increases border security specifically to enforce AB9966.
The bill bans all pointed weapons. Knitting groups organize and overthrow
the government. President Hillary Clinton is impeached and leaves in
disgrace.

http://www.usenet.com

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:21:41 -0800, "TeamCasa"
wrote:

UP/API
The new Point Stick, weapon of choice for terrorists world wide in banned in
US and Canada. US increases border security specifically to enforce AB9966.
The bill bans all pointed weapons. Knitting groups organize and overthrow
the government. President Hillary Clinton is impeached and leaves in
disgrace.

"Government sources announced today that the search for pointy sticks
has ended in Iraq. Administration officials refused comment when
asked how the CIA report on PSMD, which had precipitated the invasion,
could be so horribly flawed."

Joe Gorman

Robin Lee wrote:
"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I'm going to visit Canada from the US. Do I have to register my pointy
stick at the border? Should I leave it at home so it doesn't impounded.

Does anyone have any plans for a secret compartment I can build into my
car so I can smuggle my pointy stick across the border?
Joe
gw

news:1109612064.634a6c73e9f3df24ea07c4adc5d279cf@t eranews...
wrote:

UP/API
The new Point Stick, weapon of choice for terrorists world wide in banned

in
US and Canada. US increases border security specifically to enforce

AB9966.
The bill bans all pointed weapons. Knitting groups organize and

overthrow
the government. President Hillary Clinton is impeached and leaves in
disgrace.

"Government sources announced today that the search for pointy sticks
has ended in Iraq. Administration officials refused comment when
asked how the CIA report on PSMD, which had precipitated the invasion,
could be so horribly flawed."

"Military officials, on condition of anonymity, revealed that although no
pointy sticks were discovered, caches of material were found which are
commonly used in the manufacture of pointy sticks. These materials,
purchased in blunt form, can quickly be assembled into deadly weapons. Also,
several underground bunkers have been discovered. Crews are still searching
for residue from the pointing process. Iraq is known to have harbored
several expert stick pointers from the former Soviet Union. The CIA, while
denying the report, states only that they had 'Reliable and credible
intelligence' that stick pointing was widespread - clearly in violation of
the UN's PSMD resolution."

Cherokee-Ltd

"gw" wrote in message

"Military officials, on condition of anonymity, revealed that although no
pointy sticks were discovered, caches of material were found which are
commonly used in the manufacture of pointy sticks. These materials,
purchased in blunt form, can quickly be assembled into deadly weapons.
Also,
several underground bunkers have been discovered. Crews are still
searching
for residue from the pointing process. Iraq is known to have harbored
several expert stick pointers from the former Soviet Union. The CIA, while
denying the report, states only that they had 'Reliable and credible
intelligence' that stick pointing was widespread - clearly in violation of
the UN's PSMD resolution."

The definition of PSMD is so vague that the resolution could never be
upheld. If you look close enough, I'd be willing to bet you could find
pointy sticks in your own backyard. I think this is clearly a ploy to occupy
Iraq and seize control over resources such as the falafel. Iraqi cuisine is
inspired by Turkish, Iranian and even French influences - you'd have to be
blind not to see this so-called conspiracy. But I digress.

We have to get the pointy sticks off our own streets before we worry about
Iraq. Just the other day I saw a 9 or 10 year old boy parading around the
neighbourhood with a pointy stick. Nothing good can come from a pointy stick
yet we have "collectors" even protesting against the Canadian Pointy Stick
Registry. I can appreciate a good pointy stick when I see one, remember that
one Tom Plamann mocked up from MDF for a customer? A work of art but
remember, pointy sticks are only used to hurt people.

-Brian

Tom Watson

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:36:13 -0500, "Cherokee-Ltd"
wrote:

"gw" wrote in message

[...]

Man, I hates it when dese trolls from
alt.politics.pointysticks.conspiracy crosspost here.

(hee...snork....giggle...)

:-)...

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Jerry Shickler

"Cherokee-Ltd" wrote in message
.... I can appreciate a good pointy stick when I see one, remember that
one Tom Plamann mocked up from MDF for a customer? A work of art but
remember, pointy sticks are only used to hurt people.

-Brian

Pointy sticks don't hurt people, people hurt people.

---

Jerry

Charlie Self

Jerry Shickler notes:

Pointy sticks don't hurt people, people hurt people.

If you outlaw pointy sticks, only outlaws will have pointy sticks.

charlie b

I tried to introduce a serious woodworking topic and look where
it's gone!

While there were some great suggestions, which I will try
and work into The Pointy Stick Compendium Project, the
diversion to politics and foreign policy is way out of line.
Let's try and stay ON TOPIC folks!

In an attempt to get this thread back on topic, here's one of
my recent findings, prompted by a serious respondent to my
plea for assistance.

One of the subcategories of Pointy Sticks is the version designed
specifically for pressing into "tablets" made of a special mix
of dirts and water. These Impressing Sticks and the impressions
they left in ancient "tablets" served as the inspiration for
The Impressionist Movement 7,000 +/- years later.

I'm also developing a hypothesis that the paintbrush evolved
from the Gnawed Pointy Stick, Gnawing predating both
the Rubbed and Whittled Pointy Stick manufacturing
techniques. I'm still gathering the data to support my
hypothesis and hope to publish sometime early next year.
If you have any photographs or block prints of very early
paintbrushes which might have started out as a Gnawed
Pointy Stick, PLEASE e-mail me a copy, with any support
documentation/provenance you may have to confirm the
age of the artifact.

Please people - try and stay on topic.

charlie b
Editor
The Pointy Stick Compendium Project
Tom Watson

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:03:45 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

One of the subcategories of Pointy Sticks is the version designed
specifically for pressing into "tablets" made of a special mix
of dirts and water. These Impressing Sticks and the impressions
they left in ancient "tablets" served as the inspiration for
The Impressionist Movement 7,000 +/- years later.

Sorry Charlie (did I just say that out loud?) but this conflicts with
my own theory on Impressionism, particularly in the regard of those
such as Degas, Cezanne, Renoir, Matisse, Monet, et al, who suffered,
in my firm opinion from poor eyesight, and thought that they were
doing Realism, thus inventing an entire school of visual artwork,
based entirely on the inability to see clearly.

As proof, I offer you the thought that, were I a painter, which I am
not, and were I to paint without having my glasses on, which I would
not, even if I could, I would paint a faithful representation of the
world as I perceived it; unclear, diaphanous, distorted, pastel, and
preposterous.

I am surprised that the art critics have not taken my point.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

Robatoy

Does anyone have any plans for a secret compartment I can build into my
car so I can smuggle my pointy stick across the border?
Joe

psst....Joe...leave it at home. NO problem getting pointy sticks here in
Kanuckistan... I'll hook you up ..
charlie b

[...]

Though OT, your post has lead to a new Gnawed Pointy
Stick Brush / Art Movement hypothesis. Start by
making a hemlock Gnawed Pointy Stick brush. Wait
30 minutes before beginning to paint. Now paint what
you see. Surrealism!
(Note: hemlock Gnawed Pointy Stick brush sizes should
be kept to small brush sizes as making large
Gnawed Pointy Stick brushes can be hazardous
to your health ( see Socrates).

charlie b
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

I tried to introduce a serious woodworking topic and look where
it's gone!

.... snip of letter making me hang my head in shame, I'm guilty, forgive me!
Please people - try and stay on topic.

charlie b
Editor
The Pointy Stick Compendium Project

Alright, back on topic. I'm having trouble getting my pointy stick
dimensions correct. Seems I keep screwing up the fractions; would I be
better off converting to metric to make better pointy sticks?

[There, is that better?]

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

[...]

Tom, did you ever read Poul Anderson? One of his books (Goblin
Reservation) included a character, an artist, that in the history of the
story's era was remembered for having started his career as an artist with
realism, but later in his life was credited with painting bizarre,
surrealistic fantasies.

In the story, turns out the artist only painted what he witnessed -- he
had travelled back in time to an era when intergalactic travellers that
were goblins, trolls, fairies, and a dragon had inhabited earth.

Not exactly Descartes, but it was a fun book.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Rick Cook

wrote:

[...]

"Goblin Reservation" was written by Clifford Simiak.
(All together now:
"Hurrah for old Bill Shakespeare
he never wrote them plays.
Just stayed at home, while chasing girls
sand dirty rondelays.")

--RC