Bob

Default Roy Underhill did it again!

I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

Jeff P.

lol, I remember watching an episode he had a while back with bloopers and
outtakes. He royally cut his finger and had it wrapped in gauze the rest of
the show but there was blood soaking through and getting on stuff. It was
pretty funny in a gruesome sort of way.

--
Jeff P.

A truck carrying copies of Roget's Thesaurus over-turned on the
highway. The local newspaper reported that the onlookers were
"stunned, overwhelmed, astonished, bewildered, and dumfounded."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

"Bob" wrote in message
I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

Geoff

Roy is a complete spaz. I saw an episode where he applied stain to the
inside of a cabinet by splashing the entire can of stain into the
backside. As though he was putting out a fire. Then he rapidly tried to
spread it out, but it didn't work very well.

What a dope.

Dave Hinz

On 21 Feb 2005 11:29:31 -0800, Geoff wrote:
Roy is a complete spaz. I saw an episode where he applied stain to the
inside of a cabinet by splashing the entire can of stain into the
backside. As though he was putting out a fire. Then he rapidly tried to
spread it out, but it didn't work very well. What a dope.

So, when is _your_ show on, Geoff?

Geoff

Um, I don't have a show, Dave.

"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit."

Dave Hinz

On 21 Feb 2005 12:11:12 -0800, Geoff wrote:
Um, I don't have a show, Dave.

Yeah, I guessed that.

Leon

"Geoff" wrote in message
oups.com...
Roy is a complete spaz. I saw an episode where he applied stain to the
inside of a cabinet by splashing the entire can of stain into the
backside. As though he was putting out a fire. Then he rapidly tried to
spread it out, but it didn't work very well.

What a dope.

I have to say that Roy seems to know quite a bit but he is not a great
teacher.

Patriarch

"Bob" wrote in news:jrqSd.38255$tl3.34778@attbi_s02:

I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

So everything you ever did in your career turned out perfectly?

Hasn't been that way in mine. Some folks bleed visibly, others, not so
much so.

Wish I had St. Roy's talent.

Patriarch
Charlie Self

Leon,

Have you ever seen him in person, doing a presentation? He seems pretty
good on TV to me, but in person he's a lot better.

As far as those commenting on his lack of coordination or knowledge, it
would be interesting to sit them down with some of the tools Roy
Underhill uses and ask them what they're made to do. Don't ask them to
use the tools, just ask them to identify them.

These guys should have a flag: you recall they old "Don't Read On Me"
snake flag of the American Revolution? Maybe they could use a cobra
ready to strike, with something along the line of "Dipsticks United for
Less Knowledge of The Old Ways".

George

"Bob" wrote in message
I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

He sure does rush about, doesn't he? Perhaps decaf??

Of course, when your hands are the greater part of your tools, they get
dinged up a lot.

Don't ever work all day milling hard (sharp?) maple and then volunteer to do
the dishes. Death by a thousand burning cuts....

LRod

On 21 Feb 2005 12:59:56 -0800, "Charlie Self"
wrote:

As far as those commenting on his lack of coordination or knowledge, it
would be interesting to sit them down with some of the tools Roy
Underhill uses and ask them what they're made to do. Don't ask them to
use the tools, just ask them to identify them.

Asking them to use them would be even more fun.

These guys should have a flag: you recall they old "Don't Read On Me"
snake flag of the American Revolution? Maybe they could use a cobra
ready to strike, with something along the line of "Dipsticks United for
Less Knowledge of The Old Ways".

DULK TOW?

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Gerald Ross

Charlie Self wrote:
Leon,

Have you ever seen him in person, doing a presentation? He seems pretty
good on TV to me, but in person he's a lot better.

In Japan, a person like that (such as a traditional sword
maker) are designated a "National Treasure".

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Know what I hate? I hate rhetorical
questions!

Tim Douglass

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:15:27 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

No project is ever finished until blood has been spilled!

If Roy were a Normite he would be SawStop's target market.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Rick Cook

Geoff wrote:
Roy is a complete spaz. I saw an episode where he applied stain to the
inside of a cabinet by splashing the entire can of stain into the
backside. As though he was putting out a fire. Then he rapidly tried to
spread it out, but it didn't work very well.

What a dope.

Gives you hope, don't it?
--RC
Leon

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
oups.com...
Leon,

Have you ever seen him in person, doing a presentation? He seems pretty
good on TV to me, but in person he's a lot better.

As far as those commenting on his lack of coordination or knowledge, it
would be interesting to sit them down with some of the tools Roy
Underhill uses and ask them what they're made to do. Don't ask them to
use the tools, just ask them to identify them.

Agreed. Although I suspect that the old world tools that he uses may not
have the "Government Mandated" safety devices that would prevent a lot of
his injuries. :~)
He seems to butt in on his guests too much for my liking.

These guys should have a flag: you recall they old "Don't Read On Me"
snake flag of the American Revolution? Maybe they could use a cobra
ready to strike, with something along the line of "Dipsticks United for
Less Knowledge of The Old Ways".

;~)

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:15:27 GMT, the inscrutable "Bob"
spake:

I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

You've never hit yourself with a hammer, cut yourself with a knife or
tool, scraped yourself on a table or tool, or gotten a splinter?

Oh, you've done all that? Then what's the beef?
Leave our Good Lord Roy ALONE!

(Do I hear an "AMEN!"?)

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen
Charlie Self

Lee Feb 21, 2:10 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
From: Lee - Find messages by this
author

Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived.
This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Feb 28, 2:10 pm).

Actually the flag read "Don't Tread On Me"

Sorry about the typo.

Keith Carlson

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Charlie Self wrote:
Leon,

Have you ever seen him in person, doing a presentation? He seems pretty
good on TV to me, but in person he's a lot better.

In Japan, a person like that (such as a traditional sword maker) are
designated a "National Treasure".

Haven't watched him much, but I gotta give him credit for his enthusiasm.
That's got to count for something in holding the interest of some viewers
that otherwise would have a borderline interest in hand tools. He's got
about 10x the personality of Norm. (on television, at least; can't speak
from any personal meetings).

As far as cuts, scrapes and dings, I'm just a part-time hobbyist, and I get
my share of cuts. Doesn't seem to me to be an indication of Underhill being
a klutz.

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:53:27 -0500, Gerald Ross
wrote:

In Japan, a person like that (such as a traditional sword
maker) are designated a "National Treasure".

It's a good system, and they're very fussy about who receives this
accolade. You certainly don't receive it just for appearing on TV.

I believe a Living National Treasure might have seen some of my work,
in a field similar to their own. So that's _another_ country I'm now
too embarassed to ever visit.

Dave in Fairfax

Larry Jaques wrote:
(Do I hear an "AMEN!"?)

Hellalewya, praze the laird!

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

TWS

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:56:36 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:15:27 GMT, the inscrutable "Bob"
spake:

I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

You've never hit yourself with a hammer, cut yourself with a knife or
tool, scraped yourself on a table or tool, or gotten a splinter?

Oh, you've done all that? Then what's the beef?
Leave our Good Lord Roy ALONE!

(Do I hear an "AMEN!"?)

I can not imagine working in a wood shop and trying to put on a TV
show at the same time. Given Roy's level of animation I am surprised
he isn't hurt more often. It is a good thing he doesn't use power
tools...

TWS
John Grossbohlin

"TWS" wrote in message

I can not imagine working in a wood shop and trying to put on a TV
show at the same time. Given Roy's level of animation I am surprised
he isn't hurt more often. It is a good thing he doesn't use power
tools...

The only thing that may top that is working in front of the public. Like
Roy, I worked at Colonial Williamsburg in the Crafts Dept. One constant
concern was to make sure the public didn't get hurt... No small feat. I had
visitors try to pick up items that they just watched me take out of the
forge, red hot, and hammer into shape. I had a woman sit down on a chopping
block while I was splitting a walnut log to make short boards for a storage
box. I watched people reach into a wooden tub of corn meal, ground in a
quern, take some cornmeal and eat it. Mind you, there were so many bugs in
the tub that if you watched it the corn meal moved! I also had kids take
hand-filed wood screws off my workbench when I looked away. Another time
someone stole a hot-cut hardy that we left in the anvil when we went inside
for a break. Visitors never ceased to amaze me...

I'd been on site with Roy while the carpenters were pitsawing lumber and
other times when they were hewing beams. It was interesting to see how
willing people were to put themselves at risk... they'd walk right up to
someone using an axe or stand so that chips could hit them. It was also
interesting to see their reactions when they realized it was Roy--if they
recognized him.

When Norm was at Sturbridge Village the public was kept significantly
further away from the intepreters who were hand hewing beams than what I saw
at CW... I guess they were more risk averse.

John

Bob

I really enjoy Roy and look forward to watching him every week. I think one
of the first things we all look for at the beginning of the show is how many
blue finger nails and cuts he has before we look to see what project he is
doing.

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message
"Leon" writes:

I have to say that Roy seems to know quite a bit but he is not a great
teacher.

Is he still doing the entire show with no "jumps" in the process?

Puff Griffis

I like Roy. I wish I had just half his talent. His knowledge of =
tools is a treasure and should be admired. I know he looks like a spaz =
but I would bet anyone putting out the volume of work he does with the =
tools he uses would be "in stitches" also.
Puff

"Bob" wrote in message =
I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of =

work.
=20
=20

Buck Turgidson

"Bob" wrote in message
I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

I always assumed he was just trying to cram in as much as he could in 24
minutes, and had to get a little sloppy now and then. He's no longer on the
air in my area, and I miss him.

Lowell Holmes

I met Roy in Williamsburg while attending a conference last January. He had
no bandages at that time.
He's really a nice person. He let us examine a collection of antique tools
and handplanes he has acquired. I was flabbergasted, as some one in the
crowd of 250 could have pilfered something. I think he demonstrated a basic
trust in people that he possesses.
I did get his autograph on an unused Band-Aid. It broke up the group (of
about six woodworkers) when I approached him about the autograph.

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
"Bob" wrote in message
I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

I always assumed he was just trying to cram in as much as he could in 24
minutes, and had to get a little sloppy now and then. He's no longer on
the
air in my area, and I miss him.

Swingman

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

I met Roy in Williamsburg while attending a conference last January. He

had
no bandages at that time.
He's really a nice person. He let us examine a collection of antique tools
and handplanes he has acquired. I was flabbergasted, as some one in the
crowd of 250 could have pilfered something. I think he demonstrated a

basic
trust in people that he possesses.
I did get his autograph on an unused Band-Aid. It broke up the group (of
about six woodworkers) when I approached him about the autograph.

I've met him also ... anyone making a value judgment about him being a
"dope" and a "spaz" is seeing his own reflection in the TV screen

Roy Underhill is one of the nicest woodworkers you will ever have the chance
to meet ... any woodworker worthy of the name should hope for the
opportunity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:15:27 GMT, "Bob" wrote:

I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

I wonder why he doesn't just start using power tools?? lol

Tim Douglass

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:35:25 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
roups.com...
Leon,

Have you ever seen him in person, doing a presentation? He seems pretty
good on TV to me, but in person he's a lot better.

As far as those commenting on his lack of coordination or knowledge, it
would be interesting to sit them down with some of the tools Roy
Underhill uses and ask them what they're made to do. Don't ask them to
use the tools, just ask them to identify them.

Agreed. Although I suspect that the old world tools that he uses may not
have the "Government Mandated" safety devices that would prevent a lot of
his injuries. :~)
He seems to butt in on his guests too much for my liking.

I always figure he is trying to move the show along. They don't edit
it a lot and he needs to get through the whole thing in a half hour.

Besides, he definitely suffers from ADHD.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Jeff P. wrote:
lol, I remember watching an episode he had a while back with bloopers

and
outtakes. He royally cut his finger and had it wrapped in gauze the

rest of
the show but there was blood soaking through and getting on stuff.

It was
pretty funny in a gruesome sort of way.

I helped Mr Underhill set up for an appearance at the local
Woodcraft store. (He's a Washingtonian and his parents were
still living in DC at the time, maybe still do.) Anyhow,
after taking a look at the shaving horse I said, "The blood
cleaned up real well didn't it." He replied "Yeah, I hose
it down after use."

The worst injury he has had, which resulted in a very ugly
thumb for several weeks, happened when he dropped a heavy
piece of equipment (I disrememeber what) while moving it.

--

FF

Leon wrote:
"Geoff" wrote in message
oups.com...
Roy is a complete spaz. I saw an episode where he applied stain to

the
inside of a cabinet by splashing the entire can of stain into the
backside. As though he was putting out a fire. Then he rapidly

tried to
spread it out, but it didn't work very well.

What a dope.

I have to say that Roy seems to know quite a bit but he is not a

great
teacher.

Odd, I think he's a great teacher.

--

FF

Knotbob

When I try to go medieval like Roy I always hurt myself.
I sliced a 1/16" thick tip off of a fretting hand finger this
weekend after I was done handcutting some dovetails. Freakin' razor
blade marking tool was sharp! I got called to dinner and as I was
walking out of the shop I saw a little sliver of wood hanging on to a
pin. I had already dry fitted the drawer side and it was a good fit but
that little sliver was going to bother me until I got back in the shop
so I grabbed the Exacto knife and sliced it right off, fingertip too.
Dumbass.
Watch TV and you won't get any cuts or bruises and you'll never
have to sharpen anything. Well you can watch Roy or even Norm and
sharpen your brain a little.
Robert Smith
Jacksonville, Fl.
"If there isn't blood on the bench there's an unhappy wench."

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 08:20:55 -0500, the inscrutable "Buck Turgidson"
spake:

"Bob" wrote in message
I saw on Sunday's program where he had another finger stitched up.
I wonder if he has ever thought about getting into another line of work.

I always assumed he was just trying to cram in as much as he could in 24
minutes, and had to get a little sloppy now and then. He's no longer on the
air in my area, and I miss him.

Same here. I miss his shows a LOT.

I'd like to see how long it would take Norm to do a complete project.
Y'know ONE live, uncut camera session. I'd like to know how much _he_
bleeds, too.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen
LRod

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:23:38 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I'd like to see how long it would take Norm to do a complete project.
Y'know ONE live, uncut camera session.

Why? Is that the way you work?

In any event, although Roy does a complete 24 minute show in one take,
he doesn't build a project in that time. He shows the steps in the
project, but he may have as many as five or more of the same part in
various stages of preparation.

I'd like to know how much _he_bleeds, too.

I fail to see what the point of this is.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

George

news
wrote:

I'd like to see how long it would take Norm to do a complete project.
Y'know ONE live, uncut camera session.

Why? Is that the way you work?

In any event, although Roy does a complete 24 minute show in one take,
he doesn't build a project in that time. He shows the steps in the
project, but he may have as many as five or more of the same part in
various stages of preparation.

I'd like to know how much _he_bleeds, too.

I fail to see what the point of this is.

You see it. Most all of us see it. Envy. Any gain is ill-gotten, any
praise undeserved, unless it devolves on me or "my" guy. Same old story.

The difference, as I see it, is that the hand is part of the tool for Roy.
The reason they began building machines to work wood was to diminish the
importance of skill in the hand that fed it. Along the way they reduced
the number of operations which required handling, reducing the opportunity
for the knuckle-scratching, finger stubbing (stabbing) piece pinching types
of injury. Of course, there's a new, and more horrible set possible now!

I've done a bit of lesson-planning, and initially it's often tough to
distill what you want into the time alloted. By rev two you've got a more
refined piece that leaves a quarter of the time unused, some visual aids,
etc. If you continue to polish, you either have to include more material,
or learn to tap-dance.

As I see it, Roy begins with a sketchy lesson plan, assumes no knowledge on
the part of his viewers, makes poor use of his visual aids, and ends up
crammed for time because he never made a run-through - or should I say
"prototype?" Norm is maybe too smooth, as the Norm thread also running
shows. He may assume too much knowledge on the viewer. Does anyone really
_not_ know why you plow a centered groove with two passes on the saw?
Apparently that presumes too much from the viewer, as does a prototype,
rather than staged interim work.

Beej-in-GA

"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...
Geoff wrote:
Roy is a complete spaz. I saw an episode where he applied stain to the
inside of a cabinet by splashing the entire can of stain into the
backside. As though he was putting out a fire. Then he rapidly tried to
spread it out, but it didn't work very well.

What a dope.

Gives you hope, don't it?
--RC

Hey Guys,
I figure we play with sharp things and they do bite occasionally. That
doesn't mean we're stupid, just that sharp things have to be respected. But
then, we knew that right?
Later,
Beej

"LDR" wrote in message
k.net...
In article , says...
[...]

I agree with the above and would add I kinda like the sight of Roy
Underhill's sore thumbs: it validates what I am seeing, that he is in
fact doing what he shows. I have no doubt that Norm Abram, another hero
of mine, is absolutely capable, but I do have the feeling he is more an
ormament to his work, which I suspect is pureed for him by unseen grunt
woodworkers.

I was actually reading a couple of Roy's books this weekend. A relevant
quote:

"I like to work fast"

He also explained that he turned from craftsmanship to showmanship when he
worked at crafts fairs. Simply selling spoons wasn't enough so he turned
spoons with one hand, chopped a bowl with the other and played the
harmonica.

Certainly he tries to entertain and inform at the same time. Norm doesn't
seem to have the same sort of motivation.

-j