DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Aligning French Cleats ????? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/92157-aligning-french-cleats.html)

[email protected] February 21st 05 05:13 PM

Aligning French Cleats ?????

Hi,
I really like the fact that you can hang upper cabinets with no
fastners showing. Is there a way to ensure multiple cabinets line up
correctly? The way I've been constructing my cabinets is not to have
the top run the full depth of the cabinet, so as to slide out the back
panel. I was thinking I may have to start putting on a full top so the
cleat can butt right up against it. This "should" make all the
cabinets hang at the same height. Presuming that the other part of the
cleat is line up with the others. Are there other ways?
Anyhow, any assistance or imput would be appreciated.
Mike

Geoff February 21st 05 07:30 PM

Laserlevel to scribe the line on the wall, then cleats hung at the same
height on the back of each cabinet.

Prometheus February 24th 05 04:11 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:13:39 GMT, wrote:

Hi,
I really like the fact that you can hang upper cabinets with no
fastners showing. Is there a way to ensure multiple cabinets line up
correctly? The way I've been constructing my cabinets is not to have
the top run the full depth of the cabinet, so as to slide out the back
panel. I was thinking I may have to start putting on a full top so the
cleat can butt right up against it. This "should" make all the
cabinets hang at the same height. Presuming that the other part of the
cleat is line up with the others. Are there other ways?
Anyhow, any assistance or imput would be appreciated.

I'm not entirely clear on how you're going at it from the description
you gave, but those laser line levels work pretty nice for getting
things straight if you don't like a lot of measuring. You could flip
the upper cabinets side-by-side (upside-down if they are different
sizes) and set the level on a flat board to align the cleats on the
cabinets, and set it up on a tripod to align the cleats on the wall.
I've got a cheapo one, and it works really well, though it may be
easier to adjust one of the more expensive models that mount directly
to the opposite wall.

Anyhow, that's how I'd do it. Hope this helps!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam