DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   NAKASHIMA INSPIRED TABLE (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/91391-nakashima-inspired-table.html)

J T February 16th 05 07:42 AM

NAKASHIMA INSPIRED TABLE

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1091

I've seen pictures of some of his stuff that I liked a whole lot
better than this.

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

WoodchuckCanuck February 16th 05 01:46 PM

Kind of looks like it was made from the cut off bin at the local
sawmill. Maybe he was impatient waiting for his lumber delivery to
arrive and went dumpster diving. :-)

Lazarus Long February 16th 05 02:45 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:42:44 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1091

I've seen pictures of some of his stuff that I liked a whole lot
better than this.

This looks wrong. I think the top is too small for the base, or if
it's to be this size it should be closer to the floor. Plus, I don't
think Nakashima would use a metal "T" bracket, I think something
clever in terms of wood to wood joinery would have been done by him.

Andy Dingley February 16th 05 04:54 PM

wrote:

I've seen pictures of some of his stuff that I liked a whole lot
better than this.

That's Poplar Woodowrking for you - take a good idea, fail to
understand it, and produce the cheap ugly version of it.

Paul Kierstead February 16th 05 11:16 PM

J T wrote:
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/fe...ea.asp?id=1091

I've seen pictures of some of his stuff that I liked a whole lot
better than this.

Ugh. Wrong porportions, and that shiny finish makes the natural edge
actually look fake. Nice thought but the design missed.

PK

[email protected] February 17th 05 01:34 AM

Gotta agree with all previous, esp. Lazarus. I had the good fortune to
accidentally catch an exibit of his work at a museum here in LA. If any
of you ever get the chance, it'll be worth your time.