DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Which laser level works outdoors? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/91224-laser-level-works-outdoors.html)

[email protected] February 15th 05 01:59 AM

Which laser level works outdoors?

I searched the discussion groups for laser levels and found a few
references here so I will ask you for assistance.

Can anyone tell me if there exists a tool to project a straight line
about 10 feet outdoors?

I am looking for a laser level (or some other tool) to project a line
outdoors on the ground (actually a very well maintained, extremely
short cut grass lawn) on a sunny day. I would like to be able to see
the line for 8 to 10 feet (maximum of 20 feet). I am looking for a
laser level type of projection because I can not drive any stake into
the lawn and I can not leave a mark on the lawn when I am finished.
Also other people will be walking around the area and I do not want
them to trip over any physical line. I need to adjust/rotate the
projected straight line easily a few degrees to the left or the right
as needed.

I have tried the $40 to $50 laser levels found at Home Depot, Lowes, or
Menards (take your pick) and they work poorly outside (in sunlight no
line is visible). I expect there exists a solution but my price range
is limited.

Your suggestions (and price ranges) are most welcome.

TIA, Terry

TaskMule February 15th 05 02:10 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

No store bought laser will give you an actual line you can reliably see in
sunny daylight.
Also they will not give you an actual line, just a single dot.
A proper spinning laser ($300 and up) will give you an actual line but will
be very difficult to see in sunny daylight. Especially on grass

Leon February 15th 05 02:26 AM

"TaskMule" wrote in message

No store bought laser will give you an actual line you can reliably see in
sunny daylight.

While I cannot contest this statement and can agree that is true with my
findings,

Also they will not give you an actual line, just a single dot.

I can say the my cheapo laser level does in fact dies cast a line the entire
length of its beam very similar to those found on miter saws.

bmejerle February 15th 05 03:54 AM

Terry,

You might take a look at the PLS2E (Pacific Laser Systems). I've been very
pleased with my PLS2. It projects both a horizontal and/or plum line and is
self leveling. It works best when inside or where there is some shade.
However, PLS has just come out with the PLS2E which can be used outside in
bright sunlight. I believe these units include a special receptor which is
sensitive to the laser. I don't know what your price point is, but most all
of the professional grade laser levels will run several hundred dollars.
You get what you pay for....

Bob

oups.com...

CW February 15th 05 04:09 AM

Mine too.

m...

Robert Bonomi February 15th 05 04:10 AM

In article .com,
wrote:
I searched the discussion groups for laser levels and found a few
references here so I will ask you for assistance.

Can anyone tell me if there exists a tool to project a straight line
about 10 feet outdoors?

Yes, such things _do_ exist. But they are expensive. VERY *EXPENSIVE*.

[...]

Sounds to me like your best bet is to 'snap' a _chalk_line_, and then
vaccum up the chalk afterwards, if necessary.

Alternatives are to put up something to block enough of the 'ambient'
light that you _can_ see the el-cheapo laser level. Essentially, build
a temporary 'cave' to work in.

[email protected] February 15th 05 06:37 AM

On 14 Feb 2005 16:59:51 -0800, wrote:

[...]

survey twine and two bricks. the twine comes in dayglo colors. the
bricks are red. if you need more visibility, paint the bricks dayglo
too.

wrap the twine around the brick two or three turns and stretch it
where you need it.

Mike Marlow February 15th 05 09:07 AM

wrote in message

survey twine and two bricks. the twine comes in dayglo colors. the
bricks are red. if you need more visibility, paint the bricks dayglo
too.

wrap the twine around the brick two or three turns and stretch it
where you need it.

I second that motion. Essentially the same thing masons do when laying
blocks, except on a smaller scale. Works for them, should work for the OP.
--

-Mike-

Charlie Self February 15th 05 09:20 AM

Yeah. Pacific Laser's PLS5X comes in at about $560, and needs a tripod
and probably a tripod adapter. Everything Stanley makes is rated for
interior use, as is everything else PLS makes.

As someone notes, a couple bricks and layout string will be cheapest
and best.

Andy Dingley February 15th 05 01:45 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:10:21 -0500, "TaskMule"
wrote:

No store bought laser will give you an actual line you can reliably see in
sunny daylight.

Goggles and masking tape backgrounds help, but this is certainly an
issue.

Also they will not give you an actual line, just a single dot.

I've just bought a new £50 level for tiling - a pendulum mechanism
with a horizontal and vertical line generator lens on it (not a
rotating mirror). Two excellent lines, which are really intended for
indoor use square-on to the wall, but they still make a useful
horizontal line for outdoor use, projecting along the surface.

TaskMule February 15th 05 04:27 PM

wrote:

No store bought laser will give you an actual line you can reliably see

in
sunny daylight.

Goggles and masking tape backgrounds help, but this is certainly an
issue.

Also they will not give you an actual line, just a single dot.

I've just bought a new £50 level for tiling - a pendulum mechanism
with a horizontal and vertical line generator lens on it (not a
rotating mirror). Two excellent lines, which are really intended for
indoor use square-on to the wall, but they still make a useful
horizontal line for outdoor use, projecting along the surface.

OK, yea, I know those ones. good point

TeamCasa February 15th 05 05:59 PM

If money is the restrictive factor, use clear tubing and water.
Or rent a sight level (builders level).

Dave

oups.com...

http://www.usenet.com

J T February 15th 05 08:12 PM

Mon, Feb 14, 2005, 4:59pm (EST-3) claims:
snip I have tried the $40 to $50 laser levels found at Home Depot,
Lowes, or Menards (take your pick) and they work poorly outside (in
sunlight no line is visible). snip

Lines? You're either trolling, or been watching too many sci-fi
flicks. And, I've got a laser level that works fine, and ran me less
than $10 - but maybe it was so cheap because it didn't do lines either.

You want a line, get a piece of clear plastic tubing. Put some
water in it. Then raise the far end of the tube, until you get water up
to your reference point. Then the othen water level will be exactly the
same level. Run a string between the two and you've got your "line".
Or, possibly you can "shoot" your laser, then toss some flour in the
air, and get your "line" that way, but I don't know what good that would
be.

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold

J T February 15th 05 08:18 PM

Mon, Feb 14, 2005, 4:59pm (EST-3) says:
snip I am looking snip

On second thought, I think we need more details.

TaskMule February 15th 05 09:17 PM

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Feb 14, 2005, 4:59pm (EST-3) says:
snip I am looking snip

On second thought, I think we need more details.

Th details are there, he wants to project a line on the ground so a water
level wouldn't be much use.

J T February 15th 05 10:22 PM

Tue, Feb 15, 2005, 3:17pm (TaskMule) says:
Th details are there, he wants to project a line on the ground so a
water level wouldn't be much use.

Yeah, I think I was reading it wrong. Or sumpthin'. Maybe a lack
of caffine. I got it just as I punched the button.

But, I'm still puzzled. If I wanted to do something like that, my
first thought probably would be like someone else suggested - a piece of
string, and something to hold the end down - and a chalkline if I wanted
an actual line. Are people getting so gadget obscessed they've "got" to
have something "technical" to do even basic suff with? Now that I
think on it, did the guy even say what he wanted it for? Probably on a
putting green, to line up a putt.

Mike Paulsen February 15th 05 10:37 PM

wrote:
[...]

If you have your heart set on this laser thing your best bet is to golf
at night. Cheaper too.

hth, hand.

Mike Marlow February 16th 05 12:36 AM

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Feb 14, 2005, 4:59pm (EST-3) claims:
snip I have tried the $40 to $50 laser levels found at Home Depot,
Lowes, or Menards (take your pick) and they work poorly outside (in
sunlight no line is visible). snip

Lines? You're either trolling, or been watching too many sci-fi
flicks. And, I've got a laser level that works fine, and ran me less
than $10 - but maybe it was so cheap because it didn't do lines either.

You want a line, get a piece of clear plastic tubing. Put some
water in it. Then raise the far end of the tube, until you get water up
to your reference point. Then the othen water level will be exactly the
same level. Run a string between the two and you've got your "line".
Or, possibly you can "shoot" your laser, then toss some flour in the
air, and get your "line" that way, but I don't know what good that would
be.

Actually JT, a lot of laser levels will shoot a line along a surface. Mine
does. I think though that the OP wants the line to appear on the grass, so
the water level solution won't work for him. Still not sure why a simple
piece of string won't work for him.
--

-Mike-

TaskMule February 16th 05 01:19 AM

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

From the original post it would appear that he doesn't want to distrub other
golfers on the green, heh

Mike Marlow February 16th 05 01:08 PM

"TaskMule" wrote in message

From the original post it would appear that he doesn't want to distrub

other
golfers on the green, heh

Yup - sorta makes the bricks and string idea a bit inappropriate, huh?
--

-Mike-