Skip

Default Old Craftsman Table Saw-Motor Problem

Have an old Craftsman table saw.
3/4 hp motor.
When I turn it on, I hear a hum
but the shaft does not turn.
had it reapired last summer,
same problem.
Is this something novice can
repair? Thanks for the help.
Skip

Duane Bozarth

Skip wrote:

Have an old Craftsman table saw.
3/4 hp motor.
When I turn it on, I hear a hum
but the shaft does not turn.
had it reapired last summer,
same problem.
Is this something novice can
repair? Thanks for the help.
Skip

May just be the capacitor or a dirty switch/contacts. Clean it out
good.

What was wrong last time? Personally, if it's very old it's
under-powered for a table saw anyway and it may be time to just replace
it w/ a new at least a 1 hp.
Lew Hodgett

"Duane Bozarth" writes:

May just be the capacitor or a dirty switch/contacts. Clean it out
good.

What was wrong last time? Personally, if it's very old it's
under-powered for a table saw anyway and it may be time to just replace
it w/ a new at least a 1 hp.

I agree except I'd go for 1-1/2 HP and wire it at 240V , if possible.

Lew

Walt Conner

" it w/ a new at least a 1 hp.

I agree except I'd go for 1-1/2 HP and wire it at 240V , if possible."

Well that depends on the size of the saw. An old Craftsman 8" table saw is
fine with a 3/4 hp motor, that WAS the large motor option. Besides, "the
older horses" seemed to be bigger than ones today. I cut stuff without
problem with my old Craftsman 3/4 hp 8" that my son has problems with on his
1-1/2 hp 10".

My guess is you are getting saw dust in the starter switch since those were
open motors and it needs blowed out with compressed air.

Walt Conner

Wilson Lamb

Maybe put some duct tape over the vents that face upward.
Wilson
"Skip" wrote in message
oups.com...
Have an old Craftsman table saw.
3/4 hp motor.
When I turn it on, I hear a hum
but the shaft does not turn.
had it reapired last summer,
same problem.
Is this something novice can
repair? Thanks for the help.
Skip

Skip

Thanks to all for the imput. The capacitor was OK, the switches
needed cleaning. Thanks again. Skip

Walt Conner

Would be interested in what size that saw is since we were talking about
motor size. Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks,

Walt Conner

the switches needed cleaning. Thanks again. Skip

Skip

3/4 horse
8" blade

Walt Conner

Good match as I thought, mine too.

Walt Conner

3/4 horse
8" blade

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Skip, Thomas Ennis wrote:
I recently found a topic on a different subject that may go along with this
thread. Not sure if this and the other thread are so old that they have been
"decommissioned" or not but the following was my response to something that
may follow along with this particular "Old Craftsman Table Saw-Motor Problem"
discussion. (If you know of another thread in Home Owners Hub" that could
benefit from my comments, would you please forward this along to it)?
I know this topic was discussed over 13 years ago, but if anyone ever reads
this far down in the responses, I would add a big WOW to the comments about
increasing the motor pulley diameter!! If you are positive that the pulleys
are the original and have never been messed with, buy the same dia pulleys as
those!! By increasing the motor pulley dia from your original 2.5"(?) inch dia
w/o a corresponding arbor dia, it's likely your motor won't stand the
additional amp draw!! If the manufacturer tested and approved the original
set-up, I would certainly not vary much or at all from those pulleys!! You
would be increasing the work force the motor has to deal with by a factor of
2. What does this mean, very short motor life/poping that 15 amp circuit
breaker every time you feed a board into the blade! Check it out, but the
increasing of the motor pulley diameter to be twice that of the arbor pulley
is just asking for the cost of a new motor and a lot of frustration!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...em-325427-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 2:44:08 PM UTC-4, Thomas Ennis wrote:
[...]

Pray tell...

Why are you talking about motor pulley sizes in a thread about dirty
switches?

"I would add a big WOW to the comments about increasing the motor
pulley diameter..."

No one mentioned pulleys until you came along.