DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Converion gun question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/89786-converion-gun-question.html)

Mark Howell February 5th 05 01:31 AM

Converion gun question

I'm gonny try my luck at spray finishing, so I got
a newbie question. I bought an Astro HVLP
conversion gun, and it has a regulator at the end
of it. It says to set it for 41-44psi. Is that set with
the trigger pulled and air flowing, or not? 'Cause
it drops down to 30psi with the trigger pulled.

toolguy February 5th 05 01:45 AM

I would think they would be refering to operating pressure, 41-44 with
the trigger pulled.

Larry Jaques February 5th 05 11:05 PM

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 01:31:25 GMT, the inscrutable "Mark Howell"
spake:

I'm gonny try my luck at spray finishing, so I got
a newbie question. I bought an Astro HVLP
conversion gun, and it has a regulator at the end
of it. It says to set it for 41-44psi. Is that set with
the trigger pulled and air flowing, or not? 'Cause
it drops down to 30psi with the trigger pulled.

The gun specs say "41-44psi input", which I read as static pressure,
before spraying. The following is a good thread for you. Contributor P
says that he sprays at 10-30psi (less for less overspray, 30 for large
panels) with the trigger pulled.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...pray_guns.html

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development

Mark Howell February 6th 05 03:22 PM

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 01:31:25 GMT, the inscrutable "Mark Howell"
spake:

I'm gonny try my luck at spray finishing, so I got
a newbie question. I bought an Astro HVLP
conversion gun, and it has a regulator at the end
of it. It says to set it for 41-44psi. Is that set with
the trigger pulled and air flowing, or not? 'Cause
it drops down to 30psi with the trigger pulled.

The gun specs say "41-44psi input", which I read as static pressure,
before spraying. The following is a good thread for you. Contributor P
says that he sprays at 10-30psi (less for less overspray, 30 for large
panels) with the trigger pulled.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...pray_guns.html

Hey thanks for the very informative link! Looks like I didn't do
too bad buying a cheap gun :)

Larry Jaques February 6th 05 11:15 PM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:22:52 GMT, the inscrutable "Mark Howell"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...pray_guns.html

Hey thanks for the very informative link! Looks like I didn't do
too bad buying a cheap gun :)

If you don't mind my asking, what'd you pay for the gun and which
model did you buy, Mark?

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Mark Howell February 7th 05 12:45 AM

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:22:52 GMT, the inscrutable "Mark Howell"
spake:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...pray_guns.html

Hey thanks for the very informative link! Looks like I didn't do
too bad buying a cheap gun :)

If you don't mind my asking, what'd you pay for the gun and which
model did you buy, Mark?

It's a HVLPDX 1.5mm nozzle, I think I paid like $85.00 for it.
I haven't used it yet, apart from spraying water :)