DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   brushed shellac vs. padding (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/89326-brushed-shellac-vs-padding.html)

Andrew February 2nd 05 04:01 AM

brushed shellac vs. padding

I have been reading quite a bit on applying shellac. One thing I keep
coming back to is the padding method. I understand you pad on a thin
coat, then when you've reached the end, go back to where you started
and repeat process several times. I haven't worked up the courage to
try it, but I have been brushing with #1.5 with okay results. I
understand once you lay down a layer don't go back and brush anymore
because shellac dries so quickly. My question is why can't I simulate
the padding method with a brush? Not the result, just the method. By
that I mean brush on the first layer, then when I've finished the
surface go back to the beginning and repeat, like padding. I've only
read about brushing on 1 layer then wait.

Dave Balderstone February 2nd 05 04:05 AM

In article om,
Andrew wrote:

I have been reading quite a bit on applying shellac. One thing I keep
coming back to is the padding method. I understand you pad on a thin
coat, then when you've reached the end, go back to where you started
and repeat process several times. I haven't worked up the courage to
try it, but I have been brushing with #1.5 with okay results.

It's beyond "okay results".

Pad, or pad not. There is no "try".

djb

--
"Modern technology has enabled us to communicate and organize with speed and
efficiency never before possible. People have gotten less competent to