Edwin Pawlowski

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
When purchasing something like this (once in a lifetime, hopefully), I
want to go for quality even if the price is higher. However, if the
quality is there for a more reasonable price, it's a re-think.

Are they both made in the U.S.?

Glenna

Little Giant is
http://proladder.com/ladders/

Gorilla may not be as they tout facilities in China. Warehouse in MN.
http://www.tricamindustries.com/organization.htm

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I broke down and bought the Gorilla 21' version the other day so I could
paint my living room
(with 15' ceilings). I've been using it as an extension ladder and must
say it's pretty stable. I'd have
preferred an A-frame type ladder as they just seem to be more stable under
me but this ladder
is also going to be used to do some work at a cabin which has an 18' high
ceiling. So far, it seems
to be well built although when I went to pick it up, I did see one with some
questionable looking welds.
I really haven't put the thing through it's paces yet but so far, it's
working as expected. I can't compare it
to the LG.
Cheers,
cc

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d094101e302b43b9aca008f208dcd.1e302b5@p mug.org...
writes:

Well, if we are going to talk about the LG ladder I would appreciate
any comments from LG ladder owners who have had the opportunity (and
taken the time) to look at the Gorilla ladder sold by Home Depot. It
seems quite good and is much less expensive, but if the LG is a lot
better then I will have to think twice about purchasing a Gorilla
ladder.

I would also be interested. It was my intention to buy the LG when I was
able, but a friend of my son brought his Gorilla to pick some fruit last
summer. He said he really likes the Gorilla. It, of course, is not nearly
as much cash gone bye-bye as the LG.

When purchasing something like this (once in a lifetime, hopefully), I
want to go for quality even if the price is higher. However, if the
quality is there for a more reasonable price, it's a re-think.

Are they both made in the U.S.?

Glenna

Paul C. Proffitt

I bought a LG probably six years ago and used it extensively in building
a new house. I haven't taken much time to look at the Gorilla ladder at
HD, but then why would I since I already have a LG. I did get curious
one day and glanced at them. They seem to have the same form and the
latches at the joint look similar. However, the legs, rungs and welds
on the Gorilla just didn't look as beefy or solid as the LG. With the
LG I feel like it would hold everything I need it to. I couldn't feel
that way about the Gorilla I saw. But then for the difference in price
maybe that's all you need.

Glenna Rose wrote:
writes:

[...]

Rick Schmalzried

I purchased the LG 21" ladder a number of years ago and have
absolutely NO regrets. This was before any of the knock-offs existed.
I can say that it is very stable even when fully extended and carrying
a full bundle of shingles (Probably pushing 350lbs load).

I feel that LG will be around for quite a while as they produce a
quality product. If I ever have problems, I will be able to obtain
service. I question that this will be the case w/ the Gorilla. Next
year when they decide to get it made somewhere else, who knows...

The basic operation of the two seem to be similar but I don't know the
load ratings on the Gorilla.

--Rick

Rick Schmalzried wrote:
I purchased the LG 21" ladder a number of years ago and have
absolutely NO regrets. This was before any of the knock-offs existed.

These "Little Giant" ladders are 4 section folding types made
out of aluminum, yes? I ask because I have a similar sort of
ladder about 20 years old, or more, made out of steel. I remember
the advertisements at the time showing two in the "scaffold" position
with truck sitting on them. I forget the actual name, I would have
to go look in my garage and even then it may not be on the ladder.
Anyway, I just found the idea of LG knock-offs kind of funny since
I have been viewing the LG as a knock-off of the ones like I own.

I feel that LG will be around for quite a while as they produce a
quality product. If I ever have problems, I will be able to obtain
service. I question that this will be the case w/ the Gorilla. Next
year when they decide to get it made somewhere else, who knows...

Mine has been working for a long time, and I'm pretty neglectful
of thing like this. I can't imagine what one could do to hurt it
without serious effort. Mine isn't a Gorilla or LG as far as
I know though.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
NJTrout

Glenna,

I have the Little Giant no-longer-in-production, Type II-23 . At the
time I was shopping for a 12 foot A-frame and an extension ladder. At
The Woodworking Show I watch the Little Giant demo and was immediately
sold on it. Ordered and took delivery a few weeks later. This was in
1999.

Probably the only ladder I will ever need or own. Does everything as
advertised, WELL!.

I have one work platform and the wall standoff. Probably going to
order the leg leveler soon.

The ladder is very well constructed, solid and sturdy. The only issue
is the weight. I can handle it easily, but my 5'0" wife has trouble
carrying it up stairs.

I have looked at the knock-offs and there is no comparison. The Little
Giant has superior construction. The company is located in Utah and I
believe manufactures there as well.

Only one choice ladder for me -- Little Giant.

PS. At one time they also sold aluminum snow shoes....wonder what
happend to those?

Andy
NW NJ

Glenna Rose

Thank you, Andy, and all others who responded with comments about the two
ladders. Can't speak for others here, but I'm athinkin' my mind's
decided. I've been thinking strongly about it since seeing it
demonstrated at a home show four or five years ago. I have a 20-ft
extension ladder that can be sold to help pay for it; wish I'd know about
the LG when I bought that one which was replacing one that was stolen
which replaced one that was damaged by a friend who borrowed it. Had as
much into those three ladders as a LG would have cost then!

The orchard ladder bought last summer will stay as that is a unique
application type thing. In fact, it was the orchard ladder we used to
repair the rain gutter since we couldn't lean the extension ladder against
what we were securing. That drove home even more the need for the type of
thing the LG does. The women in my family are long-lived and generally
healthy up until the last few years, so I probably have at least 30 more
years so want the ladder to last as long. g

Thanks again.

Glenna

==================

writes:
[...]

John Flatley

If my memory is correct, my Little Giant is already over thirty years old.
Love it. It supports my 300 pounds without a whimper. One of these days I
need to take the update kit I've had for a 'more than a couple of years' and
replace the old bar style hinge release with the round knob style now in
production.

My neighbors love the Little Giant as much as I do.

Jack
--
Learn from the mistakes of others. Trust me, you can't live long enough to
make them all yourself. I've tried!!

news:fc.003d094101e325533b9aca008f208dcd.1e3257b@p mug.org...

writes:
[...]

Rick Schmalzried

No these are not the same sort of mechanisms at all. These have one
pivot in the middle of the span and then "extension legs" on each end
arranged so that the length can basically double from shortest to
longest. I hvae used the ones like you mention (I call them Z fold
ladders) and can say there is NO comparison as to functionality.

Amazon now sells the Little Giant ladders and has some decent photos
of the various configurations. Take a look or google for it yourself.

--Rick

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:34:11 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Rick Schmalzried wrote:
[...]

DL

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:59:08 GMT, Rick Schmalzried
wrote:

No these are not the same sort of mechanisms at all. These have one
pivot in the middle of the span and then "extension legs" on each end
arranged so that the length can basically double from shortest to
longest. I hvae used the ones like you mention (I call them Z fold
ladders) and can say there is NO comparison as to functionality.

Amazon now sells the Little Giant ladders and has some decent photos
of the various configurations. Take a look or google for it yourself.

--Rick

Any experiences with the version CostCo has for $99?

That was tempting me today. Definitely a heavy gadget.

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

"Hopefully with the demon-spawn Whitsitt out of the
picture our scouts and coaches will be able to do their jobs."

Halter Sucks!