DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   VIKING AGE ROWING CHEST (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/88953-viking-age-rowing-chest.html)

J T January 30th 05 03:13 PM

VIKING AGE ROWING CHEST

http://www.earlyperiod.com/articles/viking_chest/

Damn, they could have at least used some darker lines.

JOAT
The first method of estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at
the men he has around him.
- Niccolo Machiavelli

jaime January 30th 05 05:40 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 10:13:24 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

http://www.earlyperiod.com/articles/viking_chest/

Damn, they could have at least used some darker lines.

You just need stronger glasses. :)

J T January 30th 05 07:24 PM

Sun, Jan 30, 2005, 12:40pm (jaime) claims:
You just need stronger glasses. :)

Moot point, I'm not making any anyway. When I go pillaging, my
Viking long boat is gonna have a steam engine, not oars.

jaime January 30th 05 09:30 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:24:37 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

Sun, Jan 30, 2005, 12:40pm
(jaime) claims:
You just need stronger glasses. :)

Moot point, I'm not making any anyway. When I go pillaging, my
Viking long boat is gonna have a steam engine, not oars.

That should cut down dramatically on the use of slaves. :)

J T January 30th 05 11:13 PM

Sun, Jan 30, 2005, 4:30pm (jaime) cut history
classes and said:
That should cut down dramatically on the use of slaves. :)

Ah, but the Vikings didn't use slaves as rowers.

[email protected] January 31st 05 05:10 AM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:30:12 -0500, jaime
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:24:37 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

Sun, Jan 30, 2005, 12:40pm
(jaime) claims:
You just need stronger glasses. :)

Moot point, I'm not making any anyway. When I go pillaging, my
Viking long boat is gonna have a steam engine, not oars.

That should cut down dramatically on the use of slaves. :)

Viking ships were rowed by warriors, not slaves.

For a look at what it was like to be a Viking oarsman using one of
those chests, see:
http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/~arnora/...boreal-lay.htm

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

Patriarch January 31st 05 07:17 AM

wrote in
:

Viking ships were rowed by warriors, not slaves.

For a look at what it was like to be a Viking oarsman using one of
those chests, see:
http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/~arnora/...boreal-lay.htm

I haven't laughed quite that hard in a long time! I had happened to be
reading about the Viking museum at Roskilde, Denmark this afternoon...

Patriarch,
whose grandfather came from that island...

jaime January 31st 05 12:10 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:10:38 GMT, wrote:

Viking ships were rowed by warriors, not slaves.

Opps. My mistake. I'd better brush up on my history now.

J T January 31st 05 02:42 PM

Mon, Jan 31, 2005, 5:10am (EST+5) says:
snip For a look at what it was like to be a Viking oarsman using one
of those chests, see:

And this is what they sang while theiy're rowing.
http://ic.net/%7Eblues/viknsong.htm

jaime January 31st 05 06:01 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:42:40 -0500, (J T)
wrote:

And this is what they sang while theiy're rowing.
http://ic.net/%7Eblues/viknsong.htm

I wonder if they sing that during Minnesota Viking games. LOL.

If not..they should. It's pretty funny.

Keith February 6th 05 04:03 PM

That appears to be a Mästermyr style chest, take a look here for a
better (darker :-) drawing.

http://www.angelfire.com/wy/svenskil.../vikchest.html

-Keith