DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   " . . . until the glue sets" (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/88470-%22-until-glue-sets%22.html)

foggytown January 27th 05 11:52 AM

" . . . until the glue sets"

How many times have we heard Norm utter that phrase. What he never
mentions however is what happens AFTER the glue sets. Does he remove
the brads? If he does, what does he do with the little brad holes? If
he doesn't remove them, why bother to say "until the glue sets"? Come
on, Norm. Tell us EVERYTHING!
FoggyTown

BANG! Awww ****! Another day in Paradise.

Phisherman January 27th 05 04:51 PM

On 27 Jan 2005 03:52:58 -0800, "foggytown" wrote:

How many times have we heard Norm utter that phrase. What he never
mentions however is what happens AFTER the glue sets. Does he remove
the brads? If he does, what does he do with the little brad holes? If
he doesn't remove them, why bother to say "until the glue sets"? Come
on, Norm. Tell us EVERYTHING!
FoggyTown

BANG! Awww ****! Another day in Paradise.

He has explained that the brads are like little clamps. If you use
enough clamps, brads are not needed. There are a few rare occasions
when I do use them. Norm uses them too much for my liking.

TeamCasa January 27th 05 05:52 PM

I try not to use them as clamps or anything else. However, I will use them
in places where they can not be seen.
Cabinet backs, inside corners ect. I never use them where the brad hole will
need to be filled, unless I intend to paint the piece.

Dave

oups.com...

bf January 27th 05 06:20 PM

I just the melt in sticks (I think they are made of shellac)
to fill the holes.

I fill the holes after I stain (better color match), but before I poly
(so the poly doesn't melt).

But keep in mind, most of my stuff is plywood with oak face frames. If
I was making a solid wood china cabinent or something, I might be more
concerned about nail holes.. but for plywood projects.. very few people
are going to notice the patched holes.. It's a big time saver.

Heck, the kids are going to damage the book shelf or whatever over the
years anyhow. LOL. That will look worse than some filled brad holes.

Silvan January 28th 05 06:02 AM

foggytown wrote:

How many times have we heard Norm utter that phrase. What he never
mentions however is what happens AFTER the glue sets. Does he remove
the brads? If he does, what does he do with the little brad holes? If

His 5 HP 3-phase oscillating, reciprocating brad hole patcher. Don't you
have one?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

mac davis January 28th 05 04:02 PM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:52:52 -0800, "TeamCasa"
wrote:

I try not to use them as clamps or anything else. However, I will use them
in places where they can not be seen.
Cabinet backs, inside corners ect. I never use them where the brad hole will
need to be filled, unless I intend to paint the piece.

Dave

well, if you use as many brads as Norm does, you could leave it
unfilled and say it's worm hole plywood.. *g*

hmm... I wonder how many brads norm would use to "clamp" a bowl onto a
wood faceplate while the glue dried?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing