DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Learn Furniture-making/woodworking (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/88097-learn-furniture-making-woodworking.html)

Greg Grosz January 25th 05 02:11 AM

Learn Furniture-making/woodworking

I am a retired film editor and have done some stained-glass in the past. I
would like to learn how to make furniture out of wood and I believe I have
the temperament and patience for it.

I now live in Oregon, between Eugene and Roseburg, and am trying to figure
out how to learn the craft/art. Learning hands-on from an experienced
person would be ideal but I could use some assistance to find either a
school, person, or course.

Have you, or anyone you know, had a similar desire to learn woodworking and
where did you get your education/experience?

Greg

Log January 25th 05 02:20 AM

Learn Furniture-making/woodworkingWhere I learned how to do this I
volunteered at a upholstry shop and worked in a furniture store. I learned
to do repairs at both locations. If you were in Ashland I might have been
able to help but I live in Portland now. I also got some great books off
E-Bay... Good luck.

-- Log

Mark & Juanita January 25th 05 05:59 AM

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:11:19 GMT, Greg Grosz wrote:

I am a retired film editor and have done some stained-glass in the past. I
would like to learn how to make furniture out of wood and I believe I have
the temperament and patience for it.

I now live in Oregon, between Eugene and Roseburg, and am trying to figure
out how to learn the craft/art. Learning hands-on from an experienced
person would be ideal but I could use some assistance to find either a
school, person, or course.

Have you, or anyone you know, had a similar desire to learn woodworking and
where did you get your education/experience?

After I finished my Master's degree, I decided I needed to be doing
something other than sitting in front of a compuer all the time. I had
always had the desire to build furniture, but my previous two attempts
were, to be kind, pretty crude.

My approach to learning consisted of finding a number of books on the
subject, subscribing to Fine Woodworking magazine as well as Woodsmith and
ShopNotes, and following threads on this newsgroup. For a good list of
books, do a Google search under this newsgroup, or go to your local book
purveyor and find various books that give you an overview of the basics:
joints, tools, design fundamentals. IMO, stay away from the various plans
books and "how to build a ..." books, if you concentrate on the basic
elements, the "how to build a .." becomes an easy step.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Lobby Dosser January 25th 05 07:05 AM

Greg Grosz wrote:

I am a retired film editor and have done some stained-glass in the
past. I would like to learn how to make furniture out of wood and I
believe I have the temperament and patience for it.

I now live in Oregon, between Eugene and Roseburg, and am trying to
figure out how to learn the craft/art. Learning hands-on from an
experienced person would be ideal but I could use some assistance to
find either a school, person, or course.

Have you, or anyone you know, had a similar desire to learn
woodworking and where did you get your education/experience?

Greg

Get in touch with these folks. I'm sure there are members down your way who
could point you in the right direction:

The Guild of Oregon Woodworkers

http://www.guildoforegonwoodworkers.com/