DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ideas for project for new baby (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/87509-ideas-project-new-baby.html)

ToolMiser January 21st 05 10:18 PM

Ideas for project for new baby

I am going to be a first time father, and was curious what would be a good
project for me to build. Thanks for all ideas!

P.S. good sources of plans? I have a bunch of previously read WW magazines,
but I hate to start one thing and then realize there was something better I
could have built. I am not normally really fast, so it's not like I will crank
out a bunch of things.

Old Nick January 21st 05 10:47 PM

start saving ....

GrayBeardPhil January 21st 05 11:23 PM

Tool Miser:

WoodSmith issue #48 baby cradle
If you are very skilled and have LOTS of time next month or so.

WoodSmith issue #65 Rocking horse
If you are a person with a day job and wood working fits in as
a hobby and it could take some time to finish

WoodSmith issue # 38 Bunk Beds
If it takes you a really long time to finish a project,
like I do.

Graybeard Phil

Junkyard Engineer January 22nd 05 12:32 AM

Welcome in the club !

I've been doing lots of projects for my son to be (april). My latest : a
Window bench/book shelves/drawers/drawing table unit (my design) Some
furniture for the room (my design also) and my next project is a cradle.
I've surveyed all the plans you can get on internet and I settled on this
one (http://www.woodprojects.com/CT-42-197.htm) but I will modify it to add
few features.

My wife always complains that it would be cheaper to purchase all. She just
doesn't get it I guess. But I've never been more happy to get wood chips in
my eyes, fingers, etc. It's far from perfect and wont make a living out of
it for sure but I'm quite proud of what I did and it will stand the test of
time not like those cheap furnitures in Toy'sRus or wallmart.

Good luck !

patrick conroy January 22nd 05 12:49 AM

"ToolMiser" wrote in message

I am going to be a first time father, and was curious what would be a

good
project for me to build. Thanks for all ideas!

Crib, changing table, "Brio-style" train table, Toy Box.

Owen Lawrence January 22nd 05 02:05 AM

"ToolMiser" wrote in message
I am going to be a first time father, and was curious what would be a

good
project for me to build. Thanks for all ideas!

P.S. good sources of plans? I have a bunch of previously read WW

magazines,
but I hate to start one thing and then realize there was something better

could have built. I am not normally really fast, so it's not like I will

crank
out a bunch of things.

You didn't say when the baby arrives, but unless you're ready with a cradle
on day one you might get less use out of it than the time it takes to build
it. (Unless you plan to have more children, anyway.) They grow up so fast
(he says as his son celebrates his first teen birthday this very minute)!

I think my first project for him was a booster seat that fit the chair
perfectly. (I'm no speed demon either.) No; it was the gate for the top of
the stairs. Solid, no slats.

- Owen -

Patriarch January 22nd 05 02:40 AM

"Owen Lawrence" wrote in
:
snip

I think my first project for him was a booster seat that fit the chair
perfectly. (I'm no speed demon either.) No; it was the gate for the
top of the stairs. Solid, no slats.

- Owen -

Did one of those for the grandcritter in perpetual motion. Lasted 10
months until he figured out how to undo the hotel-room-style latch behind
it. But he's a lot safer on the stairs now than he was then.

Patriarch

Owen Lawrence January 22nd 05 06:47 AM

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Owen Lawrence" wrote in
:
snip

I think my first project for him was a booster seat that fit the chair
perfectly. (I'm no speed demon either.) No; it was the gate for the
top of the stairs. Solid, no slats.

- Owen -

Did one of those for the grandcritter in perpetual motion. Lasted 10
months until he figured out how to undo the hotel-room-style latch behind
it. But he's a lot safer on the stairs now than he was then.

I did you one better. My latch was easy to figure out, but took real
physical force to open. The gate lasted until he learned to climb over it.
By then we were no longer trying to protect him, we were trying to protect
the stuff we had at the other end of the stairs. :)

- Owen -

Silvan January 22nd 05 08:15 AM

Owen Lawrence wrote:

I did you one better. My latch was easy to figure out, but took real
physical force to open. The gate lasted until he learned to climb over
it. By then we were no longer trying to protect him, we were trying to
protect the stuff we had at the other end of the stairs. :)

Ah, the memories this brings back. :)

Mine turns 11 this year. Man.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

J T January 22nd 05 03:05 PM

Fri, Jan 21, 2005, 10:18pm (EST+5) (ToolMiser) boasts,
or maybe whimpers, hard to tell:
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I am going to be a first time father, and was curious
what would be a good project for me to build.

OK, a rocking chair. Tha'll do it. Well, actually a crib, but a
basinet will probabl come first, and be used for awhile. the rocker s
still essential, and I'll tell you why.

Cradle - the kid'll out grow it in a very short time, and it's just
gonna take up space, and collect dust.

Changing table - after a week or two, you're gonna be changing the
kid on the floor, car hoods, chair, couch, table, even on your lap. You
can make a dresser later.

Rocking horse - it's gonna be awhile before the kid is big enough
for one, so don't bother yet

A rocking chair, is what you need. Rock the kid to sleep, then put
him/her down to sleep - and the kid'll sleep just as sound on the floor
(wish a blanket down, of course) as in the bed. Then you can stay in
the chair and get some rest. In fact make the chair now, and start
breaking it in. This will start you off, you can make a fancy one later
if you want. Personally, I think this would look better with a
different color paint, and some senciling. Regardless, you're gonna get
years and years of use out of a rocker.
http://www.blackanddecker.com/projec...?DOC_ID=3Dp_2=
_99_23589_24200.html

JOAT
Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people
what they need to get.
- Albert