DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Woodworking Classes - PDX? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/87262-woodworking-classes-pdx.html)

Steve Dunbar January 20th 05 12:54 AM

wrote:

I'm interested in any basic woodworking classes in the PDX area. ...

Lane Commuunity College down here in EUG has some weekend community
education woodworking classes. That's a bit far to drive, but have you
checked with the community colleges in the PDX area to see if they have
similar offerings?

(For those not from around these parts: PDX = Portland, Oregon. EUG =
Eugene, Oregon, about 120 miles south.)

--
-- Steve

[email protected] January 20th 05 01:03 AM

Woodworking Classes - PDX?

Howdy,

I tried posting this question a few days ago, but for the life of me I
can't find it now.

I'm interested in any basic woodworking classes in the PDX area. I'm
acutally in Vancouver and I have a rotating schedule, so it makes
difficult.

Any pointers in a general direction would be great.

Thanks

[email protected] January 20th 05 01:28 AM

Woodcraft in Tigard offers some weekend type classes, also Oregon
College of Art and Craft offers all sorts of classes, I would say check
OCAC first.

Log January 20th 05 01:49 AM

That is a cool store...

oups.com...

Larry Jaques January 20th 05 03:56 AM

On 19 Jan 2005 17:03:36 -0800, the inscrutable
spake:

Howdy,

I tried posting this question a few days ago, but for the life of me I
can't find it now.

I'm interested in any basic woodworking classes in the PDX area. I'm
acutally in Vancouver and I have a rotating schedule, so it makes
difficult.

Any pointers in a general direction would be great.

Check with Steve at Knight Toolworks. His classes on planemaking
are $450 a day and include instruction on visualizing wood grain,
cutting wood, sanding, scraping, planing, chisel use, blade angles
and sharpening, wood finishing, sweeping up, and long lunches.
www.Knight-Toolworks.com

(Hey, Steve, you should actually do something like this so we can do
more with the site upgrade! Think it over.) ;)

--
I speak 2 languages fluently: English and foul.
---------------------------

Dust Boy January 20th 05 04:43 AM

I'll give basic woodworking class. I live in Shedd. Bring the beer and
we'll see what we can cut off.
Mike
P.S. I live in Shedd not in a Shedd. That's between PDX & EUG

Fly-by-Night CC January 20th 05 08:54 AM

In article .com,
wrote:

I'm interested in any basic woodworking classes in the PDX area. I'm
acutally in Vancouver and I have a rotating schedule, so it makes
difficult.

A frequent contributor (contrib. editor?) to Fine Woodworking magazine,
furniture maker, Gary Rogowski offers a number of classes through his
Portland, Northwest Woodworking School (I think is the name.) You should
be able to google it up...

Ah, heck, I took my happy pills today so you're the lucky recipient of
my feelings of well-being:

http://www.northwestwoodworking.com/workshops.html

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long

Glenna Rose January 20th 05 04:47 PM

writes:
Howdy,

I tried posting this question a few days ago, but for the life of me I
can't find it now.

I'm interested in any basic woodworking classes in the PDX area. I'm
acutally in Vancouver and I have a rotating schedule, so it makes
difficult.

Any pointers in a general direction would be great.

Thanks

Visit Woodcrafters in Portland on Davis, one block east of Grand Boulevard
(forget the numbered street at the moment, sorry). They have brochures
there for several classes in the Portland area as well as demos nearly
every Saturday. Great store and friendly, helpful staff. You'll also
enjoy the specialty woods. They have a good supply of books also.

I'm on my way to a 15-minutes-from-now appointment and don't have time to
look up the location (dial-up) for you, but I think they also have a
website.

Be interested in what you find out. I'm considering some myself, with some
real woodworkers, not like the jerk that "taught" the class that argued
with me that my sewing cabinet would never work because the top drawer
(for scissors, tapes, pins, etc.) was too shallow and couldn't be useful.
Aside from we were told to design something useful for ourselves, he just
couldn't process that a 3-inch deep drawer was basically useless for
things that were less than an inch tall! Oh, well.

Good luck.

Glenna

Lobby Dosser January 20th 05 07:21 PM

(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
Howdy,

I tried posting this question a few days ago, but for the life of me I
can't find it now.

I'm interested in any basic woodworking classes in the PDX area. I'm
acutally in Vancouver and I have a rotating schedule, so it makes
difficult.

Any pointers in a general direction would be great.

Thanks

Visit Woodcrafters in Portland on Davis, one block east of Grand
Boulevard (forget the numbered street at the moment, sorry).

6th.

Also Rockler in Beaverton (Beaverton Town Square) and Woodcraft in
Tigard. Woodcraft has more classes on a regular basis. As I have not
taken any classes, I can't comment on their utility.

Oregon College of Arts and Crafts:

http://www.ocac.edu/

Gary Rogowski's Northwest Woodworking Studio:

http://www.northwestwoodworking.com/

You might also want to check out The Guild of Oregon Woodworkers:

http://www.guildoforegonwoodworkers.com/

Also check out community college offerings, both the credit and non-
credit classes.

Clubs are good source for informal training and perhaps finding a mentor.

LD

[email protected] January 22nd 05 01:11 AM

Howdy,

Thanks for all of the wonderful information and links. This will
certainally get me started.

I have friends that live in Eug and often make the trip, but you are
correct thsi is a long way to travel on a regular basis for a noob like
me.

Bob Bowles January 23rd 05 04:56 PM

In a kitchen re-do the "certifiable kitchen designer" put drawers
under the cook top meaning the drawers needed to be about 2" deep.
They got the spice jars out of the cabinet and stayed close to where
they're used.