DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   VS Dimmer Switch Use (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/87131-vs-dimmer-switch-use.html)

John Moorhead January 19th 05 05:13 AM

VS Dimmer Switch Use

Folks -

Okay, question about lekturcity here... Could I use a standard incin..
incandces... encand.... oh hell... light bulb dimmer switch as a variable
speed switch for a router. If the router draws less than the switch is
rated for, will I run into a problem? I don't care about the switch, I just
don't want to damage the router.

I built the router table in FWW from several months ago and I have it set up
so I can mount three routers on the beast... unfortunately, none of these
are VS, and I will need to cut the speed down so I can use a panel raiser in
one of them.... I have a cheap HF plunge router that I set up for the
horizontal routing, a Melwilke.... Malwalkie.... Milwaulck... dammit.... Red
"body grip" router for table use, and my DeWalt Plunge router for the
overhead routing.

My only VS router, the Bosch 1617, is my favorite, so I am saving that for
hand-work and I don't want to put that one in the table.

Please let me know if y'all think this'd work, or if I'm asking for trouble.
As for not buying a VS router control, or yet another router, I don't need
help with that... I already know that I'm cheap!

John Moorhead

Rob Mitchell January 19th 05 05:28 AM

John Moorhead wrote:
[...]

It would probably not work very well. Incandescant lamps are resistive
loads - motors are inductive. So, even if the 'watts' label matched it
is not a safe setup.

Knothead January 19th 05 11:38 AM

I have an old 3HP ryobi (Not soft or electronic start) in my router bench
and use a 4 speed ceiling fan switch which to date hasn't started any fires.
I do find I only use 2 speeds though medium and high. After 20 minutes of
routing dadoes nothing is hot to the touch.

Andy Dingley January 19th 05 02:48 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:13:15 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

Okay, question about lekturcity here... Could I use a standard incin..
incandces... encand.... oh hell... light bulb dimmer switch as a variable
speed switch for a router.

This is a common enough approach, but it's more useful for drills than
for routers. Many routers now use up to 2000W, which is considerably
more than a light dimmer can handle. The biggest low-cost light
dimmers I know of are about 500W max.

Routers with built-in speed controls usually have soft-start and may
have feedback control of speed, both of which are an advantage worth
having.

So for a small router, and a big light dimmer, then I _might_ go for
it, if it as my only option. But it's not something I'd particularly
recommend.

As to the inductive load business, then I wouldn't worry additionally.
It won't stop it working, just de-rate the maximum capacity -- and
you're already having to worry about that.
--
Smert' spamionam

mac davis January 19th 05 03:55 PM

wrote:

[...]

Ok, Andy.. but that leads me to another question:
I've heard that some motors, mostly ones in appliances, will be
damaged by low power... but I don't know if they're talking voltage,
amperage or watts....
Can the router be damaged by the reduction from the dimmer switch?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Pat Barber January 19th 05 04:14 PM

I think you would do better with one of these..

http://www.pricecutter.com/ and search on "speed control"

or go to http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=821-539

Andy Dingley January 19th 05 04:56 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:55:10 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

Can the router be damaged by the reduction from the dimmer switch?

How many possible variations of dimmer and router are you concerned
about ? 8-(

There's a problem in running any motor at low speeds, in that the heat
dumped into the motor for a given torque will rise. If you throttle
the motor back, and a high load slows it even further, then you have a
risk of overheating.

There's also the waveform issue. Simple dimmers work by phase control.
Their output wavefom becomes "spiky", which means there's an added
high-frequency component. Electric motor windings don't care for this,
and again there's more heating going on.

So you can run a motor with a dimmer, but you need to de-rate it for
useful power and to watch the temperature of the windings.

With a drill, the use of a speed control might be for low-power
low-speed uses like a polishing mop. It works well enough.

For a router though, such an additional speed control is typically
used with an underpowered high-speed router swinging a large
speed-limited cutter. This still needs a fair amount of torque and
thus power, and the power may already be marginal for a small router.
This is less successful.

--
Smert' spamionam

Phisherman January 19th 05 08:45 PM

Unless your router is a DC motor, a dimmer can burn out your motor.
Purchase a router with built-in speeds if that's what you need. My PC
router is variable speed but I use 22,000 rpm most of the time.

Andy Dingley January 20th 05 02:09 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:45:29 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

Unless your router is a DC motor, a dimmer can burn out your motor.

And how many routers are there that don't use this type of motor ?

[email protected] January 20th 05 02:22 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:09:32 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:45:29 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

Unless your router is a DC motor, a dimmer can burn out your motor.

And how many routers are there that don't use this type of motor ?

Cisco?

mac davis January 20th 05 06:27 AM

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Andy...
I don't have a need to change speeds, but now I know that I wouldn't
try a dimmer switch if I did want to..

What made me ask the question was something that came up recently in
an RV forum, about checking the voltage and amperage at RV
parks/hookups...
Someone said that appliances, especially refrigerators, could be
damaged by "power drops" more than power spikes..

Andy Dingley January 20th 05 01:51 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:27:21 -0800, mac davis
wrote:

Someone said that appliances, especially refrigerators, could be
damaged by "power drops" more than power spikes..

I don't know much about US practice for fridges in RVs, but the UK
practice is to use a different type of fridge mechanism anyway.
Although there's a well-known problem with some domestic fridges and
under-voltage, this shouldn't affect the RV type.

--
Smert' spamionam