Roy Smith

Default Small-headed screws?

I was recently pressed into service to hang up some curtain rods. The
hardware came with some funny screws that I've never seen before.
They looked pretty much like normal #6 pan-head wood (sheet metal?)
screws except that the diameter of the head was significantly smaller
than on a normal #6 pan-head.

This seems like a trivial point except that I needed to get longer
screws and the way the stupid thing was designed, a normal head was
too big to fit where it had to fit. After much time wasted searching
the fastener isle at the borg, head scratching (and not a small amount
of colorful language), I ended up taking some stock screws and
grinding the heads down to fit.

So, my question is, is there a standard name for this "smaller
diameter than a normal pan-head" screw?
Robert Allison

Roy Smith wrote:
I was recently pressed into service to hang up some curtain rods. The
hardware came with some funny screws that I've never seen before.
They looked pretty much like normal #6 pan-head wood (sheet metal?)
screws except that the diameter of the head was significantly smaller
than on a normal #6 pan-head.

This seems like a trivial point except that I needed to get longer
screws and the way the stupid thing was designed, a normal head was
too big to fit where it had to fit. After much time wasted searching
the fastener isle at the borg, head scratching (and not a small amount
of colorful language), I ended up taking some stock screws and
grinding the heads down to fit.

So, my question is, is there a standard name for this "smaller
diameter than a normal pan-head" screw?

Finishing screw. Most of the ones that I use are square drive.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Leon

"John" wrote in message
Called TrimHead screws, I have them in the shop in #7. See the
McFeely catalog or online

I believe that trim head screws, at least the ones that I have are
countersink and flat headed. His screw was a pan head screw.

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"John" wrote in message
Called TrimHead screws, I have them in the shop in #7. See the
McFeely catalog or online

I believe that trim head screws, at least the ones that I have are
countersink and flat headed. His screw was a pan head screw.

Yup. I've seen them. They are not trimhead screws. I think they are called
curtain rod screws...

-j

Patriarch

"Leon" wrote in news:MHgHd.3369$2e7.3032
@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com:

"John" wrote in message
Called TrimHead screws, I have them in the shop in #7. See the
McFeely catalog or online

I believe that trim head screws, at least the ones that I have are
countersink and flat headed. His screw was a pan head screw.

One could use Kreg style pocket screws, if the lengths were close.
Silvan

Roy Smith wrote:

So, my question is, is there a standard name for this "smaller
diameter than a normal pan-head" screw?

It's called a froo froo screw 'cuzin they're only used to attach froo froo
for wimminz. Also known as a SWMBO screw.

(No, really, I have no clue. I sure hate putting that crap up though. "Oh,
oh, let's go buy some new WINDOW TREATMENTS!" "Um. Are you going to pay
for the window treatments THIS time?" "Oh, sure, wink wink, wiggle wiggle,
I'll make it worth your while." Hours pass. She flirts with me the whole
time I'm putting up her damn curtains. Then the moment of truth arrives,
and "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz." Sigh.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Ed Clarke

In article , Silvan wrote:

I'll make it worth your while." Hours pass. She flirts with me the whole
time I'm putting up her damn curtains. Then the moment of truth arrives,
and "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz." Sigh.)

Take the curtains down while she sleeps. Let us know how it turns out.

--
"De inimico non loquaris sed cogites."
mac davis

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:20:58 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Roy Smith wrote:

So, my question is, is there a standard name for this "smaller
diameter than a normal pan-head" screw?

It's called a froo froo screw 'cuzin they're only used to attach froo froo
for wimminz. Also known as a SWMBO screw.

I believe the correct terminology is "phoo phoo"

(No, really, I have no clue. I sure hate putting that crap up though. "Oh,
oh, let's go buy some new WINDOW TREATMENTS!" "Um. Are you going to pay
for the window treatments THIS time?" "Oh, sure, wink wink, wiggle wiggle,
I'll make it worth your while." Hours pass. She flirts with me the whole
time I'm putting up her damn curtains. Then the moment of truth arrives,
and "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz." Sigh.)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
DamnYankee

"Silvan" wrote in message
Roy Smith wrote:

So, my question is, is there a standard name for this "smaller
diameter than a normal pan-head" screw?

It's called a froo froo screw 'cuzin they're only used to attach froo froo
for wimminz. Also known as a SWMBO screw.

(No, really, I have no clue. I sure hate putting that crap up though.

"Oh,
oh, let's go buy some new WINDOW TREATMENTS!" "Um. Are you going to pay
for the window treatments THIS time?" "Oh, sure, wink wink, wiggle

wiggle,
I'll make it worth your while." Hours pass. She flirts with me the whole
time I'm putting up her damn curtains. Then the moment of truth arrives,
and "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz." Sigh.)

Your wife must know my wife... :-(

Bryan

LareS

What a bunch of stupid answers by stupid would-be comedians. The fellow
needs some help with fasteners and called on this group of knowledrable
folks to do just that, ___ So Help Him!!
Shame on you!

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:12:45 -0800, LareS wrote:
What a bunch of stupid answers by stupid would-be comedians. The fellow
needs some help with fasteners and called on this group of knowledrable
folks to do just that, ___ So Help Him!!
Shame on you!

Where's your answer to him, then?

Silvan

LareS wrote:

What a bunch of stupid answers by stupid would-be comedians. The fellow
needs some help with fasteners and called on this group of knowledrable
folks to do just that, ___ So Help Him!!
Shame on you!

He already got real answers. Get over yourself.