DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Decent Cordless Drill Under $35???? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/86768-decent-cordless-drill-under-%2435.html)

buck January 17th 05 07:01 AM

Decent Cordless Drill Under $35????

Anyone have good luck with inexpensive cordless drills of 12V or higher? I
am looking for one (3/8 reversible) to be used maybe for 1/2 hr to 1 hr per
month actual drill time. Will be drilling holes less than 1/2 inch in
diameter and a few inches deep.. Looking for one that takes some
inexpensive (cheap) batteries too. Was thinking about HF but thought I
would check here first. Not looking for any kind of heavy duty construction
model.
-thanks

[email protected] January 17th 05 01:02 PM

Drop the cordless requirement and you might find a decent drill for $35.

[email protected] January 17th 05 01:35 PM

there is NO such thing as a "decent" $35.00 cordless drill....perhaps a
reality check is in order
Save your money...borrow or rent one or do without till you can afford
a "decent" drill.....no need to through away your money! Just
mho.....good luck

Han January 17th 05 01:44 PM

wrote in news:1105968903.358746.214590
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

there is NO such thing as a "decent" $35.00 cordless drill....perhaps a
reality check is in order
Save your money...borrow or rent one or do without till you can afford
a "decent" drill.....no need to through away your money! Just
mho.....good luck

I'm not the OP, but the batteries of my old 9.6 V Crapsman gave out. At ~
25-30 per replacement battery, I'd like to know what the best cordless
drills/drivers would be in the $50-75 and $75-$125 ranges.

I want to avoid buying something with as limited a lifespan as my current
drill. I'm NOT a heavy duty user, just an occasional hobbyist.
--
Best regards
Han

J T January 17th 05 02:17 PM

Mon, Jan 17, 2005, 12:01am (EST-2) (buck) asks:
Anyone have good luck with inexpensive cordless drills snip

Oh, yes indeed. Three actually. One brace, with a set of bits,
probably ran around $25 total. And two eggbeater drills, one somewhat
larger than the other, ran around $15 for both. All three work great.

Any other drilling, I have a bench drill press, and several corded
drills.

No, come to think of it, I do have two battery powered drills. One
is at the older son's, haven't seen it in years. Apparently it works
OK. Got another, brand new, don't think it's ever been used, out in
the shop somewhere.

In my personal opinion, unless you're working daily in jobsites
with no power, battery powered drills are pretty much a PITA.

JOAT
Charity ain't giving people what you wants to give, it's giving people
what they need to get.
- Albert

Edwin Pawlowski January 17th 05 03:18 PM

"Han" wrote in message
I want to avoid buying something with as limited a lifespan as my current
drill. I'm NOT a heavy duty user, just an occasional hobbyist.
--

Then buy a corded drill. Even the best cordless can have batter failure in
a year or two. I got 18 months from a Ryobi and the replacement batteries

toller January 17th 05 03:32 PM

You can, with patience, find a used 12v on ebay for that price. It would
have to be a local pickup to avoid the freight.

toller January 17th 05 03:34 PM

a year or two. I got 18 months from a Ryobi and the replacement batteries
cost more than the drill that comes with two batteries. You may get more,
you may get less.

My 18v Ryobis are about 4 years old and are still doing fine. I guess I got
more.

Stephen M January 17th 05 03:35 PM

I want to avoid buying something with as limited a lifespan as my current
drill. I'm NOT a heavy duty user, just an occasional hobbyist.

Cordless tools (the batteries) all have a limitted life. Under heavy pro
use expect a year or two, but even for a hobbyist I would not *expect* more
than six years of battery life. You may do better, but technology is just
not good enough to produce a 20-year tool.

-Steve

Dave Hall January 17th 05 03:38 PM

Yeah, I have had good luck with my Stanley 03-043 push drill, although
the largest hole I have drilled with it is 11/64ths. My racheting brace
works well too, although I am not sure that you could buy a decent used
one with bits at $35 without some serious Garage Saleing. Seriously,
though I use a B&D VersaPak drill quite a bit as it is light and easy
to hang on the pegboard. You can probably get one on ebay pretty cheap
and the batteries are about $10 each at K-Mart (it takes two).
Dave Hall

Fishn2much January 17th 05 03:51 PM

Try your local pawn shop. They always seem to have name brand stuff cheaper
than retail. They will dicker on the price to.
GT

[email protected] January 17th 05 04:58 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:01:02 -0700, "buck"
wrote:

Anyone have good luck with inexpensive cordless drills of 12V or higher? I
am looking for one (3/8 reversible) to be used maybe for 1/2 hr to 1 hr per
month actual drill time. Will be drilling holes less than 1/2 inch in
diameter and a few inches deep.. Looking for one that takes some
inexpensive (cheap) batteries too. Was thinking about HF but thought I
would check here first. Not looking for any kind of heavy duty construction
model.
-thanks

cordless tools don't take well to sitting on the shelf unused. if it
sits for a month, the battery will be discharged, and a few times of
that and it will be a dead battery- won't take a charge anymore.

for that kind of use, get a corded drill or a hand crank one.

Phisherman January 17th 05 05:44 PM

On 17 Jan 2005 05:02:25 -0800, wrote:

Drop the cordless requirement and you might find a decent drill for $35.

I agree. A cheap corded drill will outperform and outlast the most
expensive cordless drill.

John Emmons January 17th 05 05:54 PM

Got a very decent cordless drill for less than $35.00 on ebay. A very
lightly used 9.6v Makita, the seller included the box, and a set of driver
bits. Got it shipped for less than $30.00. Thanks again Dan.

They're out there, you've just gotta look for them.

As for a brand spanking new drill for under $35.00, nothing very nice that's
for sure.

John Emmons

oups.com...

Cherokee-Ltd January 17th 05 09:04 PM

"toller" wrote in message

a year or two. I got 18 months from a Ryobi and the replacement
batteries
cost more than the drill that comes with two batteries. You may get
more, you may get less.

My 18v Ryobis are about 4 years old and are still doing fine. I guess I
got more.

Three years and going strong on my original 18v batteries. I bought three
new ones at HD for $35 CAD each and the difference is negligible. I'm sold
on 18v Ryobi for homeowners.

-Brian

buck January 17th 05 11:07 PM

Well..... I always go with the majority thinks and in this case I will get a
better and more expensive drill or I will forgo one altogether seeing that
it will be sitting so much of the time.
Thanks to all for help!!!

igor January 18th 05 05:09 PM

wrote:

Anyone have good luck with inexpensive cordless drills of 12V or higher? I
am looking for one (3/8 reversible) to be used maybe for 1/2 hr to 1 hr per
month actual drill time. Will be drilling holes less than 1/2 inch in
diameter and a few inches deep.. Looking for one that takes some
inexpensive (cheap) batteries too. Was thinking about HF but thought I
would check here first. Not looking for any kind of heavy duty construction
model.
-thanks

I've not used this, but it almost meets your requirements.
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....PROD_ID=822737