DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Pistol Range Box Plans (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/86733-pistol-range-box-plans.html)

Frank S. January 16th 05 10:56 PM

Pistol Range Box Plans

I have been searching, and haven't found any plans for Pistol boxes.
This type of box is about 18" tall, about 18" wide and about 12" deep.
the front opens "up" and is sloped. I have seen some for sale but no plans
Anyone have or know of plans for such a box?

Thanks
Frank
items4sale at bellsouth dot net

Chuck Hoffman January 17th 05 02:29 AM

Perhaps you're talking about an air pistol target box?

I don't know of a box that size approved for any type of smokeless or black
powder firearm. Most firing ranges have, IIRC, a 1/4" hardened sheet steel
deflection plate that is oriented at about 45 degrees from the line of fire
and directs the projectiles downward into a bullet trap. Along with that,
they have steel baffles on the ceilings and sidewalls and separating the
booths to keep any errant rounds directed downrange.

Most of them are limited to pistols...although some permit .22 rifles, too.

. ..

John T January 17th 05 02:52 AM

By a range box, he means one that can carry "stuff" to the range. Tools,
ammo, rests, spotting scope, targets, tape, etc, and sometimes even the
pistol! :)

John

BJT January 17th 05 05:25 AM

I don't have plans, but I do have a pistol box. If you're unsuccessful in
locating plans, I'd be willing to take a few digital photos & send to you
along with some external dimensions for scale.

Bruce

. ..

[email protected] January 17th 05 05:53 AM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:52:55 -0600, John T
wrote:

By a range box, he means one that can carry "stuff" to the range. Tools,
ammo, rests, spotting scope, targets, tape, etc, and sometimes even the
pistol! :)

John

Never seen plans for one, but it should be about dead easy to make.
Set up the ol' box joint jig, drag out some good-quality hardwood
plywood and go to town.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

Michael Latcha January 17th 05 12:21 PM

Long ago, when I wanted one and could not afford the $125 for a Pachmayer, I
measured a friend's and built one. Built it to be temporary and fast, the
entire thing, including trays, came out of a 1/2 sheet of 3/8" ply, all
joints butted, glued and reinforced with (hand driven) brads. Figured when
it fell apart, I'd build a nice one. Been going strong for 18 years....

If you buy or build one, go for the 4-gun box, not the 2- or 3-gun boxes.
The 4-gun box is not that much heavier and is much more stable in the wind
and the trunk of your car.

Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

. ..

Ron Hock January 17th 05 08:22 PM

http://www.geocities.com/baneddo/gunbox.pdf

--
Ron Hock
HOCK TOOLS

Dave Hinz January 17th 05 09:21 PM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:56:59 -0500, Frank S. wrote:
I have been searching, and haven't found any plans for Pistol boxes.
This type of box is about 18" tall, about 18" wide and about 12" deep.
the front opens "up" and is sloped. I have seen some for sale but no plans
Anyone have or know of plans for such a box?

I've got one, want some digital photos of it? I can mail them, or put them
on a website for you. Let me know and I can do it this evening. My email
address is real and does work.

Dave Hinz

BJT January 17th 05 11:13 PM

This looks pretty much like a standard pistol box. Mine has a capacity for
about 6 pistols (taught my wife to shoot about 30 years ago, & she quickly
passed me by, and to make things worse, I have to carry her gear!).
However, as I've gotten older, my eyes aren't as good with iron sights as
they used to be, so I find that I need a "red dot" type scope to stay in the
game. However, my old Pachmayer doesn't have the necessary height for guns
with scopes mounted, so you might want to take that into consideration
before you start laying out your box.

BRuce