DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   padding shellac for the first time (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/86343-padding-shellac-first-time.html)

Dave Balderstone January 14th 05 08:49 PM

padding shellac for the first time

This old dog just learned a new old trick.

Decided to pad shellac onto some maple shelves I'm making for the
office.

Lovely. Wow! Super finish and no worries about repairing drips.

Not as good as that thing the wife does, but a lot easier to initiate!

djb

Mike in Arkansas January 15th 05 02:57 AM

Just nosy I guess, but what is it your wife does that's so good?

[email protected] January 15th 05 05:11 AM

On 14 Jan 2005 18:57:41 -0800, "Mike in Arkansas"
wrote:

Just nosy I guess, but what is it your wife does that's so good?

Son, you're either single or you've been married waaaay too long -- to
the wrong woman!

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

Mike in Arkansas January 15th 05 04:50 PM

Neither actually, 32 years to a great lady. It was just an innocent
question. Thought perhaps the reference was to 'french polishing'.
And here I am being accused of some kind of innuendo :) Oh dear.

George January 16th 05 02:12 PM

"Australopithecus scobis" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 14:49:49 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:

Decided to pad shellac onto some maple shelves I'm making for the
office.
Lovely. Wow! Super finish and no worries about repairing drips.

What did you use for your pad? Any old rag, or did you get new
fabric? (I have my own ideas, just want to hear your approach.)

Welcome to the S'lackers!

Linen outside really keeps the wear and fuzz under control. That's
tradition for a reason. Anything that soaks up shellac on the inside works
at my house.

Dave Balderstone January 16th 05 04:06 PM

In article ,
Australopithecus scobis wrote:

What did you use for your pad? Any old rag, or did you get new
fabric? (I have my own ideas, just want to hear your approach.)

I picked up a pack of "coffee cloths" at Wally World. They're sort of
like a heavy J-Cloth. Lint free and work well as far as I can tell.

djb