Robatoy

Default Loudspeaker cabinets. (From Monster Cable tread)

I was surprised (pleasantly) to see so many wreckers participate in the
Monster Cable thread. I have always had an interest in building
loudspeaker cabinets.
I have used drivers made by KEF, Audax, Dynaudio, JBL woofers and have
built a variety of electrostatic speakers.
So here's my request:
Who, in this group, has built their own speaker cabinets and how did
they turn out? I would like to hear from you.
I think it is a fascinating hobby, but the audiophile type newsgroups
are too fringe for my liking. Has anybody ever built transmssion line
cabinets?

Rob

to e-mail me, remove BULL from my addy.

BTW, my company, Topworks, was spawned from experiments I was doing with
materials for speaker boxes. Granite makes for nice speakers, so does
solid surface.
Swingman

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Who, in this group, has built their own speaker cabinets and how did
they turn out? I would like to hear from you.
I think it is a fascinating hobby, but the audiophile type newsgroups
are too fringe for my liking. Has anybody ever built transmssion line
cabinets?

I still use two bass cabinets I built back in the 80's. AAMOF, I just humped
them out of my truck from a gig about an hour ago ... and for some reason
they are a helluva lot heavier than they used to be.

Actually, I copied them inch for inch from the old Dietz design of early
RocknRoll days, but I experimented with, and modified the porting. I have a
vintage Altec 15" in one, and a twenty year old JBL 15" in the other.
Identical in size, they stack for festivals and large venues, one port up
and one down, or just use one for smaller clubs.

One of my current band mates, a mathematician and speaker designer, is a
partner in both Nova Audio and Threshold Audio, so we talk trash on speaker
design quite often. I have a pair of Nova's +$5K near fields in the studio
at the moment that he designed and fabricated, and that I've been *testing*
for him. He's gonna play hell getting them back.

Now, if I can just score one of those Threshold amps ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Marty

I've made all of my speakers.

I used plans from Adire Audio for my sub that I made out of 1" mdf.

I hope this summer to redo all the speakers. I'm thinking Adire's k-281's.

Robatoy wrote:

I was surprised (pleasantly) to see so many wreckers participate in the
Monster Cable thread. I have always had an interest in building
loudspeaker cabinets.
I have used drivers made by KEF, Audax, Dynaudio, JBL woofers and have
built a variety of electrostatic speakers.
So here's my request:
Who, in this group, has built their own speaker cabinets and how did
they turn out? I would like to hear from you.
I think it is a fascinating hobby, but the audiophile type newsgroups
are too fringe for my liking. Has anybody ever built transmssion line
cabinets?

Rob

to e-mail me, remove BULL from my addy.

BTW, my company, Topworks, was spawned from experiments I was doing with
materials for speaker boxes. Granite makes for nice speakers, so does
solid surface.

Grant P. Beagles

I built my first set of speakers in the 70s. Radio Shack had a book on
building speaker enclosures. The book described several types of cabinets
and had the equations necessary to match the cabinet to the speakers. I
don't know if the book is still available.

Grant

Robatoy wrote:

I was surprised (pleasantly) to see so many wreckers participate in the
Monster Cable thread. I have always had an interest in building
loudspeaker cabinets.
I have used drivers made by KEF, Audax, Dynaudio, JBL woofers and have
built a variety of electrostatic speakers.
So here's my request:
Who, in this group, has built their own speaker cabinets and how did
they turn out? I would like to hear from you.
I think it is a fascinating hobby, but the audiophile type newsgroups
are too fringe for my liking. Has anybody ever built transmssion line
cabinets?

Rob

to e-mail me, remove BULL from my addy.

BTW, my company, Topworks, was spawned from experiments I was doing with
materials for speaker boxes. Granite makes for nice speakers, so does
solid surface.

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:06:55 -0600, Grant P. Beagles
wrote:
I built my first set of speakers in the 70s. Radio Shack had a book
on building speaker enclosures. The book described several types of
cabinets and had the equations necessary to match the cabinet to the
speakers. I don't know if the book is still available.

Grant

I've built a few from the Theile-Small paramaters. My current favorite
program for that now is Win-ISD, which has an excellent database of
drivers.

Monster is crap. It's inconceivable to me that anyone with a HS Physics
course would fall for their malarkey.

Bruce

Call me a packrat, but I still have that book

Building Speaker Systems
Speakers for Your Listening Pleasure
Radio Shack 62-1087
By: Gordon McComb
1988
Developed and Published by Master Publishing, Inc.
(Richardson, Texas).

Robatoy wrote:

I was surprised (pleasantly) to see so many wreckers participate in the
Monster Cable thread. I have always had an interest in building
loudspeaker cabinets.
I have used drivers made by KEF, Audax, Dynaudio, JBL woofers and have
built a variety of electrostatic speakers.
So here's my request:
Who, in this group, has built their own speaker cabinets and how did
they turn out? I would like to hear from you.
I think it is a fascinating hobby, but the audiophile type newsgroups
are too fringe for my liking. Has anybody ever built transmssion line
cabinets?

Rob

to e-mail me, remove BULL from my addy.

BTW, my company, Topworks, was spawned from experiments I was doing with
materials for speaker boxes. Granite makes for nice speakers, so does
solid surface.

Wes Stewart

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:06:48 -0500, Bruce wrote:

|Call me a packrat, but I still have that book
|
|Building Speaker Systems
|Speakers for Your Listening Pleasure
|Radio Shack 62-1087
|By: Gordon McComb
|1988
|Developed and Published by Master Publishing, Inc.
|(Richardson, Texas).

I believe he's talking about:

"Building Speaker Enclosures"
David Weemes
(Second edition) 1984
Cat. No. 62-2309
TAB Books, Inc.
Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17214

Another pack rat.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:06:48 -0500, Bruce calmly
ranted:

Call me a packrat, but I still have that book

Building Speaker Systems
Speakers for Your Listening Pleasure
Radio Shack 62-1087
By: Gordon McComb
1988
Developed and Published by Master Publishing, Inc.
(Richardson, Texas).

Hey, I have one of his robotics books.

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming