WD

Default Electrical Question Drum Sander AC/DC.

My garage has one 220V and eight 110V outlets. If I operate the Shop Vac, with
two or more machines/tools the circuit will trip. I rewired the compressor,
table saw, jointer and planer to 220V, this has reduce tripping problems.

Yesterday I tested my new drum sander a 1hp/VAC/10amps with conveyor feed
90VDC/1amp/50watts without loads, the lights in the garage blink momentary. What
if I rewire the drum sander motor from 110VDC to 220VAC, will the 90VAC conveyer
feed motor go faster, slower or burnt up?

Anyone rewired their drum sander to 220VDC?

Thanks in advance.

BillyBob

"WD" wrote in message

Yesterday I tested my new drum sander a 1hp/VAC/10amps with conveyor feed
90VDC/1amp/50watts without loads, the lights in the garage blink

momentary. What
if I rewire the drum sander motor from 110VDC to 220VAC, will the 90VAC

conveyer
feed motor go faster, slower or burnt up?

Anyone rewired their drum sander to 220VDC?

If the feed motor is DC, it must be getting the DC from a conversion
somewhere in the sander. I'm not familiar with the setup, but I know you
don't have DC anywhere in your garage.

I assume when you typed 220VDC, that was a typo and you meant 220VAC. If
you meant DC, you are scaring me and you really need to turn this over to an
electrician.

Bob

Ron Moore

Basically, you have two devices, the AC motor and the DC controller for
the feed motor. You can (possibly) rewire the motor for 220VAC and
still run the DC controller off on one 110v leg of the 220v. The
controller may have jumpers for both 110v and 220v, but you check the
documentation to verify this. Leaving it at 110v would probably be the
easiest. Otherwise, the smoke may escape. The power draw of the feed
motor is negligible.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

WD wrote:
My garage has one 220V and eight 110V outlets. If I operate the Shop Vac, with
two or more machines/tools the circuit will trip. I rewired the compressor,
table saw, jointer and planer to 220V, this has reduce tripping problems.

Yesterday I tested my new drum sander a 1hp/VAC/10amps with conveyor feed
90VDC/1amp/50watts without loads, the lights in the garage blink momentary. What
if I rewire the drum sander motor from 110VDC to 220VAC, will the 90VAC conveyer
feed motor go faster, slower or burnt up?

Anyone rewired their drum sander to 220VDC?

Thanks in advance.

WD

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:07:36 GMT, Ron Moore wrote:

My apology, there is a typo "220vac".
The 110v drum motor could rewire to 220v. Has not check the conveyor feed
controller box and I believe that's where the rectifier placed. There are no
documentation's for rewire to 220v.

I have experience repeated tripping if I operate the bench grinder (10-amp,
3/4hp), shop Vac (10-amp), hand drill with three garage lightings. Operating the
drum sander (11-amp) under load with shop Vac and lightings will trip the
circuit.

Beside adding a new circuit, do you think it is safe to replace the 15-amp
breaker to a 20-amp breaker?

Thank you again.

WD wrote:
My garage has one 220V and eight 110V outlets. If I operate the Shop Vac, with
two or more machines/tools the circuit will trip. I rewired the compressor,
table saw, jointer and planer to 220V, this has reduce tripping problems.

Yesterday I tested my new drum sander a 1hp/VAC/10amps with conveyor feed
90VDC/1amp/50watts without loads, the lights in the garage blink momentary. What
if I rewire the drum sander motor from 110VDC to 220VAC, will the 90VAC conveyer
feed motor go faster, slower or burnt up?

Anyone rewired their drum sander to 220VDC?

Thanks in advance.

BillyBob

"WD" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:07:36 GMT, Ron Moore wrote:

Beside adding a new circuit, do you think it is safe to replace the 15-amp
breaker to a 20-amp breaker?

NO! The breaker is sized according to the wiring installed already. Its
probably no. 14 wiring. If you swap the breaker, you are allowing the
potential for overloading the wiring. 20 amp breaker is normally installed
with no. 12 wiring.

It sounds to me like you're a candidate for some more power to the shop. If
you go that route, it may not cost you much more to run a larger feed to the
shop and install a branch circuit breaker panel for your tools. That would
give you ample capacity for anything you want to do.

Bob

WD

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 16:51:56 GMT, "BillyBob"
wrote:

I am reluctant to add a new 110v and 220v circuits to the garage. I am looking
for a ranch house with big basement and open access to the back yard. My wife
also needs more space for her sewing activities, we will probably move within a
year. The cheapest option is to rewire the conveyer feed motor and I am
wondering if anyone had done it.

Thanks

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 10:45:42 -0600, WD wrote:

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 09:07:36 GMT, Ron Moore wrote:

My apology, there is a typo "220vac".
The 110v drum motor could rewire to 220v. Has not check the conveyor feed
controller box and I believe that's where the rectifier placed. There are no
documentation's for rewire to 220v.

is this machine a performax? if so, I don't think it's convertable.

I have experience repeated tripping if I operate the bench grinder (10-amp,
3/4hp), shop Vac (10-amp), hand drill with three garage lightings. Operating the
drum sander (11-amp) under load with shop Vac and lightings will trip the
circuit.

you need to run more wire, and probably upsize your breaker box. it'll
cost you less than one good sized woodworking machine, it'll make your
life a lot easier and it'll add years to the lives of the machines you
have now.

Beside adding a new circuit, do you think it is safe to replace the 15-amp
breaker to a 20-amp breaker?

not without the OK of an electrician.

Thank you again.