tillius

Default Suitability of MDF to make riser block for mortiser

I need to make a 4" riser block for my Delta Benchtop Mortiser and am
wondering about the suitability of MDF to cut and stack between the
base and the post flange?

Will it compress significantly to make my mortises out of square?

The replacement bolts will take the majority of the torque from the
mortising, but I'm not worried about those. I just need to support the
post.

The other option would be to elevate the entire base by 4 inches, but
that would interfere with the Y movement of my xy table.
Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated.

tillman

Edwin Pawlowski

"tillius" wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to make a 4" riser block for my Delta Benchtop Mortiser and am
wondering about the suitability of MDF to cut and stack between the
base and the post flange?

Will it compress significantly to make my mortises out of square?

It would probably works as MDF does not compress much. Delta already has a
2" riser so you could always buy another and stack them. Of course, buying
a spare part may be almost as much as buying a new machine.

FEngelman

since the base of this tool is made of mdf, I should think that mdf would be an
excellent riser block material
tillius

Ah, the base to this tool is made of cast iron. I've decided to elevate
the entire base by 4 inches since I've figured out a way around the Y
movement interference with the xy table.

Tillman Stevens

free links to thousands of woodworking plans and resources:

http://home.comcast.net/~tillman_ste...worklinks.html

Don't waste your money on the rip-off 150,000+ Woodworking Plans cd on
eBay, it's just links, fewer than you'll find on my page for free.