DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Williams & Hussey (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/83908-williams-hussey.html)

sandman December 31st 04 11:48 PM

Williams & Hussey

I looked at the FAQs that I could find, and there may be other FAQs, but
I am having trouble getting some opinions on the W&H planer/moulder.

Could somebody here point me in the right direction, please...or (even
better) does any one here own one of those units?
It seems pricey, but versatile.

Happy and prosperous 2005 to all.

charlie b January 1st 05 12:45 AM

Tom Watson had (and actually used) one.

Tom?

charlie b

[email protected] January 1st 05 03:24 AM

I've got a W&H molder that I bought about a year ago. I've run probably 2
0r 3 thousand feet of material through it so far. It's really great for
doing restoration work or additions where you are trying to match an
existing profile. Just take a small piece of the old molding down, cut it
off square and trace around it and send it off to have the cutter ground.

I bought mine to make new trim for the interior of my home. So far I've
made some 8" baseboard, 4" casing, 3-1/2" chair rail and 5" backer, and a 3
piece built up crown mold. All this was run out of 3/4" MDF. It looks
great after painting.

I recently purchased and installed an aftermarket variable speed drive and
elipticial jig. The variable speed drive makes a huge inprovement in the
versitility of the machine, and does away the the stupid leaking oil cup on
the standard feed roller drive. The aftermarket elepticial jig is much
nicer (but also more expensive, but worth it) than the W&H jig.

Shop Fox recently came out with a clone of the W&H for about half the price.
I have seen the sitting side by side and they are VERY similar. I don't
know if the aftermarket equipment would fit or not, I didn't look that
closely.

Rick

patrick conroy January 1st 05 03:52 AM

"sandman" wrote in message

I looked at the FAQs that I could find, and there may be other FAQs, but
I am having trouble getting some opinions on the W&H planer/moulder.

IIRC - TW was pretty pleased with his, or perhaps more precise "pained to
see it go."
Nahm's got one, ain't that enuff? :)

My Old Tools January 1st 05 04:46 PM

Google up Feedmaster Pro, $500.

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"ToolMiser" wrote in message
I also have the W & H moulder. I bought it used to make top caps for
baseboard
mouldings. Originally it was bought to make the mouldings, and then
resell it,
but after seeing the nice mouldings it can make, it is a keeper. The same
machine has been made for years, and it hasn't been changed because it
works.
I would like to hear from the previous poster as to where he got the
aftermarket variable speeddrive and eliptical jig.

Tom Watson January 1st 05 06:05 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:45:08 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

Tom Watson had (and actually used) one.

Tom?

charlie b

Yeah - it's a great machine. It does what it says it will do - which
is damned uncommon.

Regards,
Tom.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

SteveC1280 January 2nd 05 12:07 AM

I've owned a W & H planner for about 20 years. Great machine. Built like a
battle ship and made in the USA.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

shakintom November 26th 05 08:02 PM

I'm also interested on the variable speed control and eliptical jig.
where did you purchace these items and a ball park figure.
would be appreciated.

Thanks Shakintom

Quote:

Originally Posted by

Lenny November 26th 05 11:51 PM

Williams & Hussey

I saw the elliptical jig on ebay recently for around $290.
Have used it at work and it's great.
Lenny