DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Through dovetails on a half blind template. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/83898-through-dovetails-half-blind-template.html)

toller December 31st 04 10:32 PM

Through dovetails on a half blind template.

I am aware that you can buy through templates that mount on half-blind jigs.
That is not what I am talking about here. (I have one for my omnijig, but
haven't tried it yet. Maybe if I did, I wouldn't be screwing with this
nonsense.)

Today I cut some halfblind dovetails on an Omnijig with a 10 degree bit,
rather than with the 14 degree bit they supply. The result was a much
deeper, more attractive, dovetail. The depth of the dovetail is inversely
related to the angle of the bit. If you had a set of bits, maybe 6-12
degrees or so, you could match the depth of the cut to the thickness of the
wood. If you made them the same, you would have a through dovetail cut on a
halfblind jig.

Has anyone tried this?
The 10 degree is about 7/16", so I will haul my planner out to make some
7/16" wood and see what it looks like. Obviously it will be rounded rather
than square, but that "might" look nice.

toller January 2nd 05 08:13 PM

If anyone cares, it doesn't work; at least not when both sides are the same
thickness. The 7/16" is not thick enough to cut the pins. Oh well. It
"might" work with the narrower template, and it might work with 8 degree
dovetails, but I don't have either of those.

It is however rather pretty, with the half round contour, when unequal
thicknesses are used.