Drew Eckhardt

Default Dust collector and small tools?

I have a circular saw, sander, and router all of which have or could
have 1" dust collection ports.

Can I use adapters to reduce a 4" dust collector duct to a smaller hose
for these (4" - 2.5" - 1") or can I only use these with a shop vac?

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
9/11 was a premptive attack
Dan

On Tue 28 Dec 2004 08:12:16p, Andy Dingley wrote
in :

n general, no. Typical 4" dust collectors are a high volume low
speed device. Vacuum cleaners use higher velocities, even though their
smaller hoses are moving much less mass flow in total. Even if you
make up the clumsy adapter you'll find that performance is very
disappointing trying to use one of these low velocity multi-horsepower
DCs instead of a tiny vacuum cleaner.

That's my experience too. The DC works great on the tablesaw but the
bandsaw and the miter saw both have small ports and the shop vac works
better for both of them. Next year there'll be a hood behind the miter saw
and a new four-inch hole in the back of the bandsaw, and they'll use the DC
but for now it's the shop vac.

Woodcrafter

Sears has an "Auto Switch" for about $20 that will turn the vacuum on
and off with the tool. It's well worth the money.

Yes! These things are great, although my shop vac has this delayed auto
on/off feature built in.
--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
WIN! A Bosch 18v Cordless Drill. Submit your entry today!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps
- Sherwood Lathe Copy Attachment
- Ryobi Right Angle Drill
- Porter Cable COIL250 Coil Nailer
- Ryobi 18v Cordless Jigsaw
- Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture & Cabinet Construction

Ba r r y

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:17:03 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

I don't know about the circular saw and router, but the reducer works very
well for me on my Porter-Cable 333 sander. Keeps the dust way way down.

What level of filtration are your DC bags? If they're 30 micron, the
sanding dust may be coming right through them.

The dust generated by the ROS can be incredibly fine.

Barry
Nate Perkins

Ba r r y wrote in
:

wrote:

I don't know about the circular saw and router, but the reducer works
very well for me on my Porter-Cable 333 sander. Keeps the dust way
way down.

What level of filtration are your DC bags? If they're 30 micron, the
sanding dust may be coming right through them.

The dust generated by the ROS can be incredibly fine.

Barry

1um bags from Penn State.
Ba r r y

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:33:40 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

1um bags from Penn State.

Way mo' better! G

Barry

Nate Perkins

Ba r r y wrote in
:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:33:40 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

1um bags from Penn State.

Way mo' better! G

Barry

They are pretty good. I see that Penn State has some new 0.5um canister
refits. I've been thinking about trying one of those out.
Ba r r y

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:47:11 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

They are pretty good. I see that Penn State has some new 0.5um canister
refits. I've been thinking about trying one of those out.

I just picked up a canister filter. Although it's only advertised to
2 microns, I just don't have the ceiling space for a large cloth bag.
The canister provides for a very noticeable increase in flow.

If I had the room, I'd go for big cloth bags in a minute.

Barry
Nate Perkins

Ba r r y wrote in
:

wrote:

They are pretty good. I see that Penn State has some new 0.5um canister
refits. I've been thinking about trying one of those out.

I just picked up a canister filter. Although it's only advertised to
2 microns, I just don't have the ceiling space for a large cloth bag.
The canister provides for a very noticeable increase in flow.

If I had the room, I'd go for big cloth bags in a minute.

This is the one I was thinking of. Is it the same as the one you are
using?

http://tinyurl.com/6sdgz

Curious if anyone has experience with this canister upgrade.

Thanks,
Nate
Ba r r y

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 04:28:10 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:

This is the one I was thinking of. Is it the same as the one you are
using?

http://tinyurl.com/6sdgz

I have the Jet version that's 20" in diameter and sold with 1 1/2 and
2 HP Jet units. Jet rates the canister @ 2 microns, not .05. With
typical BS DC industry data, the Jet and PSI units may or may not use
the same filter media.

I look at CFM and particle size specs with a healthy grain of salt, no
matter who's selling it. G

Barry
Nate Perkins

Ba r r y wrote in
:

wrote:

This is the one I was thinking of. Is it the same as the one you are
using?

http://tinyurl.com/6sdgz

I have the Jet version that's 20" in diameter and sold with 1 1/2 and
2 HP Jet units. Jet rates the canister @ 2 microns, not .05. With
typical BS DC industry data, the Jet and PSI units may or may not use
the same filter media.

I look at CFM and particle size specs with a healthy grain of salt, no
matter who's selling it. G

Barry

You're right ... good advice.

Ba r r y

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 05:37:18 GMT, Nate Perkins
wrote:
This is the one I was thinking of. Is it the same as the one you are
using?

I forgot to add that the canister did provide a large increase in flow
over the old bags. You can probably do the same for less money with
large bags, but I only have 7 foot ceilings.

Barry