DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Redwood blocks (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/83270-redwood-blocks.html)

BKeane71 December 27th 04 03:09 AM

Redwood blocks

Hi, everybody.

I have recently made my nephew some blocks out of some spare planks I had
around the house, which are redwood (hey, they were free). What I would like
to know is, does anyone know of any poison precautions or sensitivities people
may have regarding this wood? He is 2 years old, and I'm sure will be putting
them in his mouth.

Thanks,

-Barry

[email protected] December 27th 04 03:56 AM

On 27 Dec 2004 03:09:52 GMT, (BKeane71) wrote:

Hi, everybody.

I have recently made my nephew some blocks out of some spare planks I had
around the house, which are redwood (hey, they were free). What I would like
to know is, does anyone know of any poison precautions or sensitivities people
may have regarding this wood? He is 2 years old, and I'm sure will be putting
them in his mouth.

Thanks,

-Barry

redwood's not too bad.

think about it- any wood that can resist bugs and rot must be toxic
to some degree.

It does seem to me that whatever it is in the redwood that resists
bugs and rot tastes bad enough that a human would have to be pretty
determined to get a toxic dose... based on lots of working with it and
breathing redwood sawdust.

jo4hn December 27th 04 06:39 AM

BKeane71 wrote:

Hi, everybody.

I have recently made my nephew some blocks out of some spare planks I had
around the house, which are redwood (hey, they were free). What I would like
to know is, does anyone know of any poison precautions or sensitivities people
may have regarding this wood? He is 2 years old, and I'm sure will be putting
them in his mouth.

Thanks,

-Barry

I work with redwood a fair amount as does my neighbor (a builder of
decks among other things) and neither of us has had any ill effects. I
would suggest finishing with perhaps a penetrating oil (thinned tung or
blo) and several coats of a varnish (e.g.poly). Those splinters can be
buggers. They tend to break off when you try to get them out and it
takes forever for the body to rid itself of them. I have built a few
toys and finished them with blo/poly with no problems from the little
ones. YMMV of course.
mahalo,
jo4hn

mac davis December 27th 04 06:40 AM

On 27 Dec 2004 03:09:52 GMT, (BKeane71) wrote:

Hi, everybody.

I have recently made my nephew some blocks out of some spare planks I had
around the house, which are redwood (hey, they were free). What I would like
to know is, does anyone know of any poison precautions or sensitivities people
may have regarding this wood? He is 2 years old, and I'm sure will be putting
them in his mouth.

Thanks,

-Barry

not sure about eating or inhalig/skin contact, as most picnic tables
are redwood...
one caution would be for a lot of sanding and corner rounding... ever
notice how fast a redwood splinter swells up and hurts?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

J T December 27th 04 07:26 AM

Mon, Dec 27, 2004, 3:09am (EST+5) (BKeane71) exclaims:
Hi, everybody.
I have recently made my nephew some blocks out of some spare planks I
had around the house, which are redwood (hey, they were free). What I
would like to know is, does anyone know of any poison precautions or
sensitivities people may have regarding this wood? He is 2 years old,
and I'm sure will be putting them in his mouth.

Might have been prudent to ask before you made them. Non-treated I
would hope.

A short google would have came up with.
http://www.wood-line.de/F/F02010101.htm

Other informtion, redwood is a sensitizer, supposedly toxic to
rabbits also reptiles (no loss there). Personally, I think I'd pick
some other wood to give a kid that's likely to chew on 'em - just in
case.

JOAT
Diplomacy is the act of saying, "Nice Doggie" till you can find a big
rock to bash in his skull.
- Unknown

BKeane71 December 29th 04 03:11 AM

Thanks for all the info, everybody. I appreciate it. Sounds as though it is
possible that redwood could be an irritant more than anything, for which you
need an already existing predisposition, anyway. Interesting, though... it
also lists maple under the same list, and I know that lots of cribs are made of
that, as it doesn't have large pores like oak. Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks again.

-Barry