Charlie Self

Dave W asks:

I have blades marked for table/miter saw so apparently there
is a difference. I've always used the same blades for
RAS. What is the difference? I don't recall any advertised
specifically for RAS.
Dave

Mike said:
Use a blade that is correct for a radial arm saw.

The table saw can use a blade with as aggressive a tooth angle as 22 degrees.
Because of its climb cutting tendencies, an RAS should have a neutral or minus
5 degree or so angle.

Charlie Self
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Rumpty

The table saw can use a blade with as aggressive a tooth angle as 22
degrees.
Because of its climb cutting tendencies, an RAS should have a neutral or
minus
5 degree or so angle.

Charlie,

The original Forrest WW1 blade with the TCP (triple chip profile) is a
superb blade on the RAS, a true universal blade. It has a 5 deg positive
angle and works well for ripping, even through 8/4 material. FWIW, this
blade is only available directly from Forrest as a special order. The
current WW1 blade you see advertised in an ATB profile and not good on the
RAS unless you only do cross cutting.

--

Rumpty

Mike said:
Use a blade that is correct for a radial arm saw.

The table saw can use a blade with as aggressive a tooth angle as 22

degrees.
Because of its climb cutting tendencies, an RAS should have a neutral or

minus
5 degree or so angle.

Charlie Self
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George

Orwell

Walt Conner

I have a Craftsman Router I bought new about 35 years ago. I like it so well
I bought a used one like it and wish I had gotten a 3rd one at a garage
sale. ( I don't like to change bits) The old Craftsman has a work light that
I really like that the great PC I would like to have, doesn't have. I have 4
routers but reach for one of the old Craftsmans for critical work.

Walt Conner

the others. But, I don't think there's a single one bearing the
Craftsman brand today that's built as well as it was...

Dooler

Just got a magazine on woodworking (and drooling at all the tools).
One thing that is consistent every place I look is that RAS are not
that popular and all How-To's always show table saws.

Looks like my first purchase probably needs to be some sharpening
stones to work on my father's chisels and old hand planer (I know he
always used files or grinder to sharpen them, so NOT in best of
shape).

Maybe with upcoming tax refund (hope-a-hope-a-hope-a-hope-a-hope) I
might look at a table saw. Definately need to do something about how
to hook my shop vac to RAS as one of things I dread using due to dust
(garage is for other things other than wood working).

-Clayton

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 00:37:57 GMT, Dooler wrote:

I have a Craftsman 10" radial arm saw (inherited from father) that is
25+ years old. Saw is good condition. Since most of what I want to
do is furniture/cabinet work and I have a miter saw and hand power
saw, am looking at possibly selling the radial and getting a ~$200
table saw.

Also, what tools are recommended from someone starting out. I used to
do alot of woodworking years ago in school, but we had all the high
power/industrial tools (loved the $80,000 planner they had). Now,
don't have any tools except for miter, hand saw, and drill. I am
wanting to start making furniture, with first being entertainment
center.

Any recommendations or ideas would greatly be appreciated.
- Clayton

Dooler

I'm going to keep it...but still can't help but drool over the
high-end table saws, like a kid in a candy store.

-----------------

"When it comes to Home Depot, I am worse than a woman in a shoe store"
- Clayton

-----------------
My favorite commercial was a guy in the toy store walk down isle with
kid. Kid keeps grabbing things off shelf and father takes them away
putting them back and saying "...you can't have that...leave it
alone...we got to go...". Then he stops. There on shelf is a truck
(chevy? ford?) that is wrapped up like a toy. All they guy says is
"....ooooooh".

-Clayton

On 29 Dec 2004 17:42:02 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Dooler notes:

Just got a magazine on woodworking (and drooling at all the tools).
One thing that is consistent every place I look is that RAS are not
that popular and all How-To's always show table saws.

There are problems with radial arm saws that do not exist with table saws,
mostly in the area of adjustments. There is also utility that doesn't exist
with table saws. I'm not sure the two counterbalance, but were I you, I'd hang
onto the old Craftsman RAS.

There are fewer companies manufacturing consumer level radial arm saws today
than ever: Craftsman; Delta; Ridgid. I believe that's it. All the rest (about
four makers) are producing pro level saws that are very pricey.

Charlie Self
"A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to
the ground." H. L. Mencken

Rumpty

Purchase yourself a copy of the Mr. Sawdust book "How To Master The Radial
Saw" and you won't have to waste your money on a worthless TS.

http://mrsawdust.com/

--

Rumpty

"Dooler" wrote in message
I'm going to keep it...but still can't help but drool over the
high-end table saws, like a kid in a candy store.

-----------------

"When it comes to Home Depot, I am worse than a woman in a shoe store"
- Clayton

My favorite commercial was a guy in the toy store walk down isle with
kid. Kid keeps grabbing things off shelf and father takes them away
putting them back and saying "...you can't have that...leave it
alone...we got to go...". Then he stops. There on shelf is a truck
(chevy? ford?) that is wrapped up like a toy. All they guy says is
"....ooooooh".

-Clayton

On 29 Dec 2004 17:42:02 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)

Dooler notes: