DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Match stain color (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/82777-match-stain-color.html)

Andy Arhelger December 22nd 04 03:05 PM

Match stain color

I am working on an oak project and would like to match the color with
some existing oak. I have used Golden Oak from Watco in the past and the
color match is pretty good. Now I have a lot to stain and Watco is
pretty time consuming to use. I will be putting polyurathane over the
finish in the end. Just wondering if there is an easier way to match the
color. Can I start with a Minwax stain (which I prefer to use) and color
it to match? What type of coloring (dyes) could I add to Minwax? What
other options are there? What do professionals use to match colors?

Andy Arhelger

MikeG December 22nd 04 03:54 PM

In article , says...
I am working on an oak project and would like to match the color with
some existing oak. I have used Golden Oak from Watco in the past and the
color match is pretty good. Now I have a lot to stain and Watco is
pretty time consuming to use. I will be putting polyurathane over the
finish in the end. Just wondering if there is an easier way to match the
color. Can I start with a Minwax stain (which I prefer to use) and color
it to match? What type of coloring (dyes) could I add to Minwax? What
other options are there? What do professionals use to match colors?

Andy Arhelger

You can use pigments or stains and dyes that are comparable with the
stain to change the tint and hue. Compatible - if the stain is water
based you things that will dissolve or at least hang in suspension
(pigments) in a water based solution. If the stain is oil based, Most
Min Waxes, then you can use oil paints, artist colors, anything soluble
in an oil based stain or will stay suspended in it (pigments again),
--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods

[email protected] December 22nd 04 07:17 PM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:05:23 -0600, Andy Arhelger
wrote:

I am working on an oak project and would like to match the color with
some existing oak. I have used Golden Oak from Watco in the past and the
color match is pretty good. Now I have a lot to stain and Watco is
pretty time consuming to use. I will be putting polyurathane over the
finish in the end. Just wondering if there is an easier way to match the
color. Can I start with a Minwax stain (which I prefer to use) and color
it to match? What type of coloring (dyes) could I add to Minwax? What
other options are there? What do professionals use to match colors?

Andy Arhelger

I use colors from these folks:
www.wdlockwood.com/